Music for my helmet

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

redwing
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Music for my helmet

Post by redwing »

I have a Shoei Quest Helmet. The helmet has a cavity below and behind my ear. I have a set of Koss head phones I dis-assembled and placed inside the helmet into these cavities but sitting in my living room I could hear O.K. but not well enough to use on the road. I'm hoping for a suggestion that has volume and fidelity.

Probably not a good idea but I was thinking I might grind some of the padding next to the ear and try the Koss speakers again..???

Thanks in advance...

Robert
08' R1200R
Sweet...
ddepr1217
Basic User

Re: Music for my helmet

Post by ddepr1217 »

Not sure if this helps, but I have a pair of Bose in-ear that fit in my ears with my helmet on. I have my ipod mounted with a RAM mount on my handle bars. Works great.

Some say necessity is the mother of invention. I say its that AND an empty wallet! :shock:
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

Robert, I enjoy motoring to music, too. I use Etymotic ER-6 earbuds plugged into a Jabra BT3030 bluetooth dog tag, which streams stereo music from files saved on a microSD card that is plugged in to a Navigator IV GPS. It's kinda elaborate.

The key with the Etymotics is to fit the earbuds. You need a tight fit in the canals to isolate sound. Properly fit, they are as good as foam plugs. I have to read lips with them on.
Bill
snag
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 639

Post by snag »

Robert,

I use the Etymotics with my Zumo 550. I tried a Bluetooth receiver but only got mono out of the 550 so I'm hardwired with a quick release. It does not support the Bluetooth A2DP protocol needed for stereo. The Zumo 660 supports A2DP, don't know about the BMW Navigators. Best to check compatibility before you waste time & $$.

Doug
Plea bargaining does have its advantages.
'08 12R
'79 CBX
'74 CB750
redwing
Basic User

Post by redwing »

Went to the web sight and I probably missed this fact. Most players (Apple or my Sony CD player) have a 5/32 plug, I think. Does Etymotic ER-6 have a common type plug?
I still have a little in the savings account for a small farkle.
Someday I may ride with more electronics but for now...cheap.. cheap cheap. Like the bird.
Thanks for the information.

Robert
08' R1200R
Sweet...
jameson71
Basic User

Post by jameson71 »

Pretty sure the standard small audio jack size is 1/8" and yes, the etymotics have the standard small sized audio plug. I've had a pair for a few years now for using on the subway.
Jim
2008 R1200R
JohnM
Lifer
Donating Member #: 852

Post by JohnM »

I use Etymotic ER-6i earplugs. It uses a 1/8" "standard-type" plug into an audio device which, in my case, is my Zumo 550.

Note that Etymotic has supposedly replaced the 6i's with the "MC5" model. (Dating myself, recalling the band "The Motor City Five.")
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

snag wrote:… The Zumo 660 supports A2DP, don't know about the BMW Navigators.
The Navi IV, a glorified 660, does stream in stereo.
Bill
Anyname
Basic User

Post by Anyname »

+1 on the Etymotics. I have been using them for airline travel for years.
parkec
Triple Lifer

Post by parkec »

I bluetooth my I Phone to my Cardo Scala Rider G4.

The Cardo speakers hurt like a....so I cut them off spliced in a ear bud jack, taped the jack to the back of thd helmet and WaLa. Music.

My Helmet is a Shoei x10.
IBA #50026
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

I can second the Scala Rider G4. Enough volume to hear music and calls even with earplugs. The speakers do need to be right against your ear. Mine are just stuck to the helmet interior fabric but I always wear a buff which provides a layer over my ears.

The bluetooth headset is an asset even when riding alone, for two up it is a requirement! It is not the distraction it might seem. Like anything else it takes some learning and all the controls soon became second nature.

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

The ER-6i are as good as earplugs. I have run lower volume, and had less wind noise since using them.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!