2002 R1150R Value

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Lucky13
Basic User

2002 R1150R Value

Post by Lucky13 »

Hello all.
I am considering purchasing a 2002 R1150R. The bike is in good shape with only a few minor scratches and what I would consider less than normal wear and tear for a bike its age. It has approximately 5,000 miles and has been recently serviced. The bike rides well. The only issue I noticed was that it was a little difficult to get into first gear without releasing the clutch a bit. I have looked at NADA and Blue Book along with some other online sources to estimate the value of the bike and it seems to be all over the board. Can anyone give me some guidance as to the value of this bike. Thanks in advance for your help.
TonyT47
Basic User

Re: 2002 R1150R Value

Post by TonyT47 »

As to value, it depends. Here in Ontario, Canada, I recently paid $5,700 for my 2002 1150R. It came with BMW side cases and two windshields. Prices in Canada tend to be higher than in the US, so bear that in mind.
5,000 miles on a nine year-old bike is not very much. What do you know of the service history? Has it been laid up for some time and if so, was it properly prepared? The tires are probably ready for the scrap heap, so take that into consideration when negotiating the price.
These bikes seem to suffer from two main issues, input spline failure and final drive bearing failure. If shifting into first is a bit of a problem, you may want to check out the service history and find out if the splines have been done. It's more an age than mileage thing. Others on the list with more experience than me can better inform you. Spline failure means a new transmission input shaft and transmission rebuild and that's expensive. $2500.00 expensive.
My bike had the transmission and rear drive rebuilt after failure, so I knew they had been covered.
With all that said, I love my R and enjoy every minute I spend aboard.
Cheers,
Tony
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by wncbmw »

5,000 miles on an '02?! That is just sad!

ABS or not? Was a $2,000 difference in price when new, probably at least $1,000 or $1,500 difference used.

Like TonyT said, if the tires are original, replace them right away. Too old to be safe. And see if it sat a lot. I would put fresh oil and gas in it right away unless it was just recently serviced.

I would not let the final drive and clutch issues keep you from purchase. There are lots (a large majority!) of these bikes that never suffer those problems, at least for a very long while.

These are great bikes and while I occasionally lust after other bikes, my '02 is paid for and after 61,000 miles it is running well and still makes me smile. That is what it is all about. :)
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

wncbmw wrote:...
These are great bikes and while I occasionally lust after other bikes, my '02 is paid for and after 61,000 miles it is running well and still makes me smile. That is what it is all about. :)
+1

It's a great all-around bike
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
snave
Basic User

Post by snave »

I paid somewhat less for mine a little over a year ago in the Southeast. A couple of suggestions on pricing: try cycletrader and see how prices are running there and go on ebay and look at completed listings that sold. asking prices and dealer prices may be significantly higher than actual selling price. Most I've seen are in the 5 to 6 k range but occasionally one under 5. With only 5k miles, that sounds like a gem! mine had around 24k. I occasionally have a little trouble with 1st, but I let the clutch then pull it back in and try again and it usually works. I'm very pleased with it.
Good luck with your purchase!
Paul
Lawrenceville, Ga
grwrockster
Lifer

Post by grwrockster »

I agree with Snade on the 1st gear engagement. Mine does it too, and so do lots of other bikes when engaging 1st & stationary. Like Paul says, letting the clutch out in neutral and trying again sorts it. I don't think that'd be any indicator of any transmission woes, it's normal.

Can't really comment on prices cos here in the Uk it's so different to the US it's probably irrelevant, but 5000 dollars is just over 3000 pounds at the moment. On-line here there's a basic 2003 with 21k miles in mint nick from a dealer is advertised at 3495 pounds (5720 dollars). A private sale would be quite a bit less than that.
frkn_toaster
Basic User

Post by frkn_toaster »

Maybe I'm a sucker (in fact, I'm pretty sure I am) but I paid 6K USD for mine last year, 24K miles on it.

But it was exactly the bike I wanted, really well cared for, and the owner wouldn't budge on the price. I'd say it's been worth it even if I overpaid - I can do all the maintenance myself and in the 14K miles I've put on it, haven't had any problems with it. I keep the valves adjusted and it just runs like a top.
Lucky13
Basic User

Post by Lucky13 »

Thank you for all of the advice, it is very helpful. I am on the way to purchase the bike now. Hopefully I will see some of you on the road. Thanks again!