A sad farewell to one of the forums founder members...

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

Britnheaven
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 246

A sad farewell to one of the forums founder members...

Post by Britnheaven »

It is with great sadness that I have to announce that we lost a fellow member, good friend and former riding buddy Patrick Rhys Williams this past weekend. Pat was the very man behind 'Pats Playhouse', so I am sure Doug and many of you here will know him fairly well.

Patrick was out riding on a group ride on Saturday, and had a fatal crash on his bike. He was flown to the hospital and undertook a 10 hour surgery. His surgery was initially a success, but on the second day he developed blood clots in his legs. The clots then moved into his heart and lungs, and on the third day he lost his life. It is so very sad...

Pat was one of life's great characters. In his mid 50's he had always lived alone, and always had a great passion for motorcycles.

Pat and I met after we hooked up on this very site, as we both shared the same bike, and back then lived fairly close to one another. Pat always had a smile, and a sharp wit that was so fast I could never keep up. At only 5 feet 4 inches he could never flat foot any of his bikes, but was a very skilled rider and never had any issues staying upright. Pat always rode fast, but always with skill and precision. In the two years I had my 1150 I thought I was doing pretty good with my 40K mileage. Pat had his 3 years, and clocked up 80K. He absolutely loved riding.

I remember a bunch of us riding our R1150R Roadsters over the Sierra's from the Bay Area, and all of us pinning the throttles when we got into Nevada, and all the bikes doing exactly the same speed despite some having performance enhancing mods. Pat's was all tricked out (chip, exhaust, tune etc) and it went exactly the same speed as my stock one. I always teased him about that.

I remember Pat inviting me on a Harley bar run. I was a bit hesitant, but went along anyway. We were the only non Harley's to ride, and we had an absolute blast and met some really nice folks.

Pat had recently retired from a career in the prison service, and was enjoying his free time riding.

Pat was one of the nicest and most decent human beings I have ever met. Its a huge loss for everyone that knew him.

:cry

RIP Pat, and may your new journey be filled with joy!
Last edited by Doug on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Made global
Bob the Madd Brit loose in CA....

Double Lifetime Member # 246
nylife
Lifer
Donating Member #: 956

Re: A sad farewell to one of the forums founder members...

Post by nylife »

Never got a chance to meet you, but may you RIP
my condolences to friends and family
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects handlebars to the saddle.
2009 R12R
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

omg no! This news is incredibly sad.

Pat was one of the mods and anchors of this board until he sold his R at almost 90k bought a Triumph with a lower seat height. We begged him to stay, but he had new boards to conquer.

His quick wit, his compassion, his jokes, and his humanity are legendary.
I had a standing invitation to stay with him if I could get my butt to Cali on my bike.

He is most surely in heaven, he's got the street cred.

RIP Pat.

herb

Edit: Pat's farewell post, where he swore off motorcycles entirely.

viewtopic.php?t=1457
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
machew01
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 345

Post by machew01 »

I am heartbroken to hear about Pat's death. And if Mike Cam were still here, he would be heartbroken as well. We both knew Pat through this forum and through private email and telphone conversations. Several years ago, I invited Pat to one of the east coast Bash events, offering one of my bikes to him to ride. Unfortunately, Pat was unable to get away. Now, I can only envisage Cam and Pat standing at the top of a mountain after a spirited uphill run and each of them lighting a fat cigar.

mac
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

This is terrible news...and it really saddens me. I've known Pat via this board and telephone conversations for the last 8 years.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

I got the E-Mail details last night and from other biker sites today:
--------------
Patrick passed away early this week due to complications suffered in a motorcycle accident over the weekend.
He was riding 4th in a group when the first rider went down, then the second avoided him. Next the third rider went down as well, and Pat went off road to avoid hitting the others but in so doing lost control and ended up in a ditch with his SV on top of him. From what I understand he was airlifted to a nearby hospital where he underwent a 10 hour surgery. The surgery was deemed to be successful but complications set in soon afterwards. He suffered blood clotting in his legs, lungs, and heart and died three days after the crash.
This happened near Jackson, CA.
I was informed today that a memorial is scheduled for September 2.

---------------

Also posted on AVRider with more Pat pics:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719471

---------------

What a sad loss it is . . . . . after finally earning retirement and before old age turns out the lights. I have exchanged many E-Mails, pics, videos and made a few lengthy phone calls to Pat over the years on topics from suspension settings, carbs, guns and politics to interacting with women . . . so I knew him fairly well.

I am much more than sad over this tragic accident. :( :smt022

`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
bakernks
Basic User

Post by bakernks »

Pat was the most legitimate biker I've ever heard of.

This is a terrible loss, and my deepest sympathies go out to his family and friends.
2 spark BMW's: '04 R1150R, '05 F650GS
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

Now we get to miss him all over again. I also begged him to stay back in 2006 when he left the board. I've always kept the "go wild" section in his name and in his honor because he really did help shape the character and wit of the board. He was a really huge asset to us, especially early on when the site was developing.

He was a really friendly chap and although I never met him personally, it was easy to feel like you did through his witty prose. Poor guy!

Does anyone know if he has any living relatives?

Ride safe everyone!
Member #1
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Sad, but happy memories of a larger-than-life character who added much to this message board. He was a constant source of both bawdy humor (heliotrope thong, anyone?) and quiet introspection when he occasionally opened up to all of us mostly-anonymous strangers and shared aspects of his life.

Pat and I horse-traded stuff from time to time; with his penchant for nonstop customfarkleization, he often had parts to barter. I still have some H-D bagger driving lights he'd originally mounted on his Roadster during his sacred quest for the optimum auxiliary lighting. Will have to enshrine those big chrome lamps somehow.

Being close enough on the the left coast for potential visits and rides, we "almost" got together several times for NorCal tours on epic roads, but our respective work schedules never allowed us to meet up in the Central Valley.

The one & only West Coast Beemer Bash in Torrey, UT was a great trip, with one disappointment: Pat wasn't able to join the fun due to work at the prison.

Wish we'd been able to ride CA36 together.

Anyone have that photo of Patrick astride the pink Vespa with matching purse?
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
rivi7777
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by rivi7777 »

Anyone have that photo of Patrick astride the pink Vespa with matching purse?

This hurts me deeply...

Pat was a wonderful unique individual and had a gift for striking up conversation making many friends where ever he went. I am just one of many and my life is better for having known him. He just made you feel good with his upbeat and positive outlook. I will miss him tremendously.

One of his lines from his advrider profile in other interests is: "mingling with complete strangers." How true.

A memorial is planned for Sept 2. Details to follow...

Rich
Last edited by rivi7777 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rolando33
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 872

Post by Rolando33 »

Very sad when you read about anyone losing their life doing what they enjoyed most. I am not a religious person, but I sincerely hope he may rest in peace. At least his last adventure in life was riding a motorcycle---I could not think of a better way for myself to go.
'11 BMW F800R
'08 BMW R1200R
'07 BMW R1200S
'84 BMW R100
iowabeakster
Quadruple Lifer

Post by iowabeakster »

I never met Pat in person, but his personality really came through in his participation here. When he moved on from the R1150R, there was a big hole left by the absence of his personality on this board.

This is so sad. My heartfelt condolences to all those who knew him, loved him, and will miss him.

Man, what a tough summer for the old timers here...
I was dreaming when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray...
ebincia
Basic User

Post by ebincia »

My heartfelt condolences to all who were aquatinted with Pat. He was one of the really sharp ...good guys.
Yes... it has been a "tough summer for the old timers here..."
owldaddy
Lifer

Post by owldaddy »

I was one of the lucky ones to be able to claim riding with Pat. Getting to meet him in person was an honor. He was already off board, as he had sold his BMW long before we met for breakfast in Livermore. We did a ride up Mount Hamilton, where he was trailing the rest of the group, I hit some sand and did a low speed low side, thankfully he was a strong man, as it took both of us to get my R back on 2 wheels. I only rode once more with Pat. I will miss him.
2004 Ferro R1150R the stealthiest color
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

I too am saddened to hear of Pat's death. I didn't know Pat personally, but from reading his posts I'm certain I would have smiled, laughed and been encouraged if I had ever had a chance to meet him or converse with him. Plus, he liked cats and that counts for a lot!
Memory eternal
Ride on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEg6SuG8 ... u.be&t=12s
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

As a late comer to this board, I did not know Pat as well. Always saddened by the loss of a motorcyclist whenever it happens. May Pat's family be comforted in his absence. RIP, Pat!
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
Britnheaven
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 246

Post by Britnheaven »

I just received this from Pat's sister, Joy.

For those of you who new Pat, I am very pleased to report that Pat and his parents had made big strides in there relationships together over the past couple of years.

From Joy:

"To all of you who knew and loved Pat as I did. Your condolences have helped me to get through each day that passes without him. My brother will always be with me, sharing the smile that always seemed to take a hold of you. I often wondered why Pat had such a large chest, and then one day it dawned on me that it was the only way it could hold that oversized heart that he had! When he hugged me in that bear hug way I could feel it beat, and I knew I was home. A place where I would not be judged, or forgotten, accepted for what I am, and what I believed in. As I read his emails that were sent I always knew that they were written with his heart, out of love for me. And I know that he treated all of his friends with that same love, you weren't just friends you were family to him. My condolences go out to each and everyone of you that loved and will miss Pat as much as I will. Love always Joy (Pat's sister)"

Doug - I think this answers your question.

Bob aka MaddBrit on Advrider.com
Bob the Madd Brit loose in CA....

Double Lifetime Member # 246
Doug
Site Admin

Post by Doug »

Thanks Bob.
Member #1
socalrob
Lifer

Post by socalrob »

Terrible news this morning. First saw Bob's post over on Advrider. Pat was a true character, and will be missed. Been thinking of him all day. Took me awhile to log back on here, as my password was wonky. Put my passenger pegs down this morning for the ride to work, so a fellow rider could ride along, even if only in spirit.

Bob, glad Pat was getting better connected with his family. It is tragic that he suffered through a career he did not really seem to enjoy, only to have retirement cut so darn short.

RIP Pat. May you forever find blue sky days & smooth, twisty roads.
07 1200GSA & 08 Ducati Hypermotard S
& Honda XR400
Past-04 R1150R
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

just sad, and sobering
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates