Cascade Day Trip

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

Airman
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Cascade Day Trip

Post by Airman »

My son Devin and I decided to make a run up hwy 410 along the North side of Mt.Rainier, over Chinook Pass, and down the East side of the Cascade range to Yakima, WA. I was planning to take hwy 12 back across the south side of the Rainier National park and back through White Pass. We ended up not doing that as we found a really neat road north out of Yakima.

My usual route to Rainier is to leave the metro area out though Auburn, then on to Enumclaw. We left about 10am, it was gloomy and overcast. It was cool enough that Devin put the liner in his jacket. It was 65 degrees

This first picture was taken in a popular pull-off spot that looks over to Mt.Rainier. We ran into a couple of GS guys on their way to Alaska from LA and they offered to take the picture. We came out of the clouds up near the Crystal Ski resort. Lot's of RVs and HDs on the road.

Our trusty steed. 2003 R1150R, Cee Bailys windshield, Pirate's backrest, and the Marsee tail bag. We really didn't need all the luggage, but it's handy for stowing liners and rain gear. We use the tail bag for water bottles and snacks.

We didn't stop up in Chinook Pass as the parking area was full of cars and RVs. We continued on down 410, now on the East side of the Cascade range. I could feel the temperature change as we went down in altitude. The American river crosses 410 many times as you continue down. We stopped fro a break at one of the bridges that cross the river.

About 30 miles West of Yakima the road is closed off due to a slide last year that took out the road and blocked the river. A detour brings us back to 410 and we continued into Yakima in search of food. The weather in Yakima is hot to us from west of the mountains. 85 degrees. After a lengthy delay at the local Subway, we decide rather than take the southern route back, to ride north to Selah, then take 823 north to a junction with 821, which follows a river, (don't know which one) north, winding up along the east side of the mountains.

As you can see, there's no water here except for the river.

This is a wonderful winding road. The river is apparently a favorite area for people to put their rubber rafts in upstream and float slowly downstream. We saw big groups of rafts floating lazily down the river. It begins in a small fruit and vineyard area then suddenly transitions to the arid country you see in these pictures. This is a 30-40 mile section, then it runs back into I-90 at Ellensburg.
Here we are at a rest stop on I-90 still East of the mountains. The wind was so strong in this area I struggled to keep the bike in my lane. The place where we parked at the rest stop was so windy I was concerned about it pushing the RR over.

Total distance 294 miles. Home before dark!
MPG from Federal Way to Yakima 51
Yakima to Federal Way through Snoqualmie pass 47mpg
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Re: Cascade Day Trip

Post by sjbmw »

Well done, thanks for posting.

You no doubt will have a riding partner very soon!
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
mnnden
Basic User

Post by mnnden »

A great way to spend a day! I really enjoy that part of the world and your pictures explain why. Thanks for posting. mnn
We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Great ride report! =D>
That's one of my favorite areas. You are lucky to live close enough to make it a day ride!
Thanks!
Rich
ADIOS!
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

Sunbeemer wrote:Great ride report! =D>
That's one of my favorite areas. You are lucky to live close enough to make it a day ride!
Thanks!
Thank you. I'm taking the time to explore it a bit. I want to make the loop up hwy 20 (North Cascades Highway_and back around on hwy 2. That might be out of the day trip catagory though. A popular mid-point stop is the" Bavarian" town of Leavenworth. In the mean time I think I will either go up though the Mt Rainer Natl Park like the guy in this month's Rider magazine did, or do that loop through White Pass like I intended the last time. After looking back over this report, and then the one GypsyRR posted on her Wyoming trip, I decided to take photography classes. Her pictures are first class.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Yes, GypsyRR definately has an eye for great shots and the patience to take them!

I travelled Hwy 12 and 20 over a couple of days. Great roads and magnificent scenery.
Stayed in Pateros at a mom and pop motel on the river. It was relaxing, clean, and pleasant!
Leavenworth was not a highlight...
but Washington Pass...

and Diablo Lake overlook were!

You'd enjoy it!
Rich
ADIOS!