Advice for a week in the Alps

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

dokotela
Donating Member #: 0

Advice for a week in the Alps

Post by dokotela »

Hey Guys,

I'm off to the south of France/ Switzerland for a week in the twisties of the Alps.

Anyone care to offer any tips or advice? (apart from the usual jibes and abuse that is....)

cheers

Julian
2007 R1200R

Past lovers: Street triple, Sprint ST and RS, SV650
T206Bob
Lifer
Donating Member #: 973

Re: Advice for a week in the Alps

Post by T206Bob »

Hi Julian,

You are in for a real treat of a ride!

We have been living in Switzerland for a couple of years now and have recently taken delivery of a new R12R.
Bedford is also a well known to me from my Cranfield (College of Aeronautics) days many moons ago! In fact I had a good friend there at the time named Julian!?

I would definitely recommend that you visit the Interlaken area in the Bernese Alps. More specifically; from Interlaken go South up the valley to Lauterbrunnen, then on up towards Stechelberg. You will be assaulted by incredible views along this deep valley; the famous Eiger mountain, as well as the Jungfrau and Munch on your left and the hanging waterfalls dropping hundreds of feet on your right.

There is a cable car up to the top of the Schilthorn mountain from the valley floor below Murren. The rotating restaurant at the top is the site of the James Bond film "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"...I am sure you have all seen it at some time or another...(one-time Bond character George Lezenby skiing down the mountain followed by snowmobiles and skiers trying to gun him down) Go to www.schilthorn.ch or [email protected] for more information about this area.

If you can arrange to stay at "Ester's" bed and breakfast in Gimmelwald, at the top of the valley, it is well worth the ride up the cable car. Gimmelwald is an idyllic, vehicle-free, Alpine town of about 100 residents, mostly off the tourist route. Your bike remains safely parked at the bottom of the cliff.

There are also some very nice roads along the Jura range of hills on the Western Swiss/French border, I would be glad to accompany you along part of your route. Please send me a personal message for more details.

Bob.
Bob.

2011 R12R, Matt Grey.
Ex. 1977 Ducati 900 GTS.
dewi sant
Basic User

Post by dewi sant »

Hi Julian, is this your first motorcycle trip into Europe? If so, don't underestimate distance, keep the daily mileage realistic especially when in the Alpine areas as it'll take more time to cover a mile there than anywhere else.

Last trip we did to Europe by bike was in 2009, but a trip to Spain is being planned for 2012. Some pics here of the 2009 tour:
http://www.dewisant-photography.net/y_o ... _page1.htm

Enjoy your trip and ride safe

Dewi
dokotela

Post by dokotela »

Bob and Dewi,

thanks for the advice, and Bob, great pictures. I'm also planning on turning the trip into a photo shoot, so keep your eyes posted.

Thanks for the offers Dewi. I'm not the same Julian from Cranfield, but yes, I am from Bedford, Harrold, more specifically.

Its my 3rd European tour, I usually stick to northern France or Belgium, but fancy the mountains this time round.
Usually I go north to Scotland, but got rained out last time, so fancy some dry tarmac for a change!!

Let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Julian
2007 R1200R

Past lovers: Street triple, Sprint ST and RS, SV650
2wheels
Donating Member #: 547

Post by 2wheels »

May not be relevent this, but many of the cable cars only operate during the skiing season! We did a rail trip their a few years back, the week after the season ended!
T206Bob
Lifer
Donating Member #: 973

Post by T206Bob »

Hi guys,

These particular cable cars run all summer long since this area is not a ski resort, more of a walking/hicking/climbing area, as well as motorcycling and paragliding of course!

A couple of views from the cable car to get you inspired!

Have a great trip, and do drop me a note if you are passing by lake Geneva.

Bob.

Bob.

2011 R12R, Matt Grey.
Ex. 1977 Ducati 900 GTS.
Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales
Basic User

Post by Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales »

In the third photo, is that Julie Andrews I can see running up the grassy slope? :)

Rog
2004 R1150R Rockster
1978 Moto Guzzi V1000 Convert
cburgess594
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by cburgess594 »

Love the winter slope.... :mrgreen: