Fogging face shield

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

Widetrack
Lifer

Fogging face shield

Post by Widetrack »

Hi all, has anyone found an anti-fog treatment for a face shield that actually works? I haven't. After being out early this morning I'm back in the search for a solution.

thanks,
Widetrack
Shenandoah Valley Va.

'07 R12R
'00 Ducati ST2
'72 Triumph Bonnieville
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Fogging face shield

Post by sweatmark »

...anti-fog treatment for a face shield that actually works...
http://pinlockusa.net/

Proven, effective, indispensible for Oregon riding. Don't mess with temporary surface treatments any more.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
TT RDHS
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by TT RDHS »

sweatmark wrote:
...anti-fog treatment for a face shield that actually works...
http://pinlockusa.net/

Proven, effective, indispensible for Oregon riding. Don't mess with temporary surface treatments any more.

+1
Pinlock...

The best.
roger l
Donating Member #: 1

Post by roger l »

Now that it is getting cold in Northeast Ohio I have started looking for the solution to the fogging face shield as well. I have read the reviews for the Pinlock shields and some people say that there is distortion and it blocks some of your field of view. Has this been your experience? I have also read aboutthe Fog City stick on insert but people say that those scratch easily. I can keep the fogging down if I just crack the face shield open but for cold weather I would like to keep the shield closed to stay warner and it is much quieter.

Thanks
Roger L
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

roger l wrote:Now that it is getting cold in Northeast Ohio I have started looking for the solution to the fogging face shield as well. I have read the reviews for the Pinlock shields and some people say that there is distortion and it blocks some of your field of view. Has this been your experience? I have also read aboutthe Fog City stick on insert but people say that those scratch easily. I can keep the fogging down if I just crack the face shield open but for cold weather I would like to keep the shield closed to stay warner and it is much quieter.
The pinlock works....but for reasons stated above, I really do not use mine at all anymore.
Buckster '03R
Airman
Basic User

Post by Airman »

roger l wrote:Now that it is getting cold in Northeast Ohio I have started looking for the solution to the fogging face shield as well. I have read the reviews for the Pinlock shields and some people say that there is distortion and it blocks some of your field of view. Has this been your experience? I have also read aboutthe Fog City stick on insert but people say that those scratch easily. I can keep the fogging down if I just crack the face shield open but for cold weather I would like to keep the shield closed to stay warner and it is much quieter.

Thanks
Roger L
Too damp up here in the Northwest to crack the visor. I did that last night in a downpour and almost drowned. My visor sucks rain up inside if you open it. I had neglected to apply my secret anti-fog stuff, FogTech. That stuff works great. The only down side is it wears off after a couple of days. As far as the Fog City inserts, one guy I know says they're great, another guy scratched his the first day.
I don't get caught in the rain, I ride in it on purpose.
jhawk
Basic User

Post by jhawk »

I tried the Fog City insert... it worked fairly OK in daylight.... but at dawn/dusk and night it was useless... it would create a large halo around each and every point light source - headlights, brake lights, turn signals, street lights, trafic signals, etc.

Next, I'll see if there's a Pinlock fitment for my helmet.
2007 BMW R1200RA
2004 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
jas
Double Lifer

Post by jas »

Just like the mirrors in my bathroom, I rub shaving cream onto my visor (inside and out). wears off in a couple days but works for me.
2004 Roc.
Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales
Basic User

Post by Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales »

Similar to Jas, but when I clean the visor, I add a few drops of washing-up liquid to the final clean rinse and just let it drain (after giving it a good shake). Again, it doesn't last long but I tend top clean the visor regularly by soaking it.

I'm sure everyboday already knows this but you shouldn't, unless it is absolutely necessary, use any kind of cloth to clean it. Soak the visor overnight, then lightly use your fingers to get rid of any crud before rinsing under a warm tap and finally a rinse with the washing-up liquid. The visor will thank you and last for as long as you are careful with it.

Rog
2004 R1150R Rockster
1978 Moto Guzzi V1000 Convert
michelsmith
Basic User

Post by michelsmith »

I've used the Fog City Shield in the past and it works great. My helmet (Nolan) has a pinlock visor insert that works GREAT! I tried lifting the visor before I had this but I get way too cold to do that for very long. :)
BMW R1150R 2003
With lots of BMW Motorcycle Accessory:
ZTechnik Windshield, Crashbars ... :D
pistonbroke
Basic User

Post by pistonbroke »

hi
few things that i use , washing up liquid ,soap bar ,shaving stick ,
rub a bit on , polish off and no mist , for a day or two anyway , tried all the expensive stuff and does not seem any better,
keep a rag in pocket with some wash up liquid dried on ,and when its real bad just give it a wipe . i ride all winter every day.
i have tried a pin lock in the past , good untill the seal goes .
piston :D
some days its not worth chewing through the straps and chains in the morning
bimmerguy
Basic User

Post by bimmerguy »

Riding since '72 and fog city inserts have always worked well for me.
True ,at nite they are extra plastic to look thru so expect some distortion.
I clean my visors with BMW plastic polish every season, back and forth motions , never circular motions.
I always use toilet tissue or softest cloth i can find when on road.
Works for me...
Clem
Basic User

Post by Clem »

+1 PinLock
A bit expensive, but works well enough.
Better than bottle/spray type fog treatments, IMO
Some small issues with the double thickness of plastic.
Not a deal breaker.

Microfiber cloth hasn't scratched my shield's exterior.
Always in the tank bag.
diethornig
Basic User

Post by diethornig »

I'd like to try one.. It is a little bit costly but heck, it's for my safety..