R1150R windshield

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

ron prior
Basic User

R1150R windshield

Post by ron prior »

I have a OEM tall windshield on my Roadster, alone it is noisy. with a Laminar Lip it is noisy + buffets. It's not horrible ...but after an all day ride it get's to me. Yeah i know [ear plugs] but I'd rather do without them if i can find decent comfort?

Been thinking about trying a Verholen deflector....Opinions?.....comments?......experience?...

Have any of you tried the CeeBaily shield?..in what height?

Also i read something about a CalSci? brand...good?..Bad?
swamper
Basic User

Re: R1150R windshield

Post by swamper »

I have the same windshield and it does make it noisy. Earplugs are a PITA but that's the only thing I've found that helps.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
Jose
Basic User

Post by Jose »

Hi
I will follow this thread with interest. I have a 04 1150r with a BMW touring windscreen. Wind turbulence ruins the enjoyment of high speed cruising. It is the single thing I dislike about the bike. I suspect it can't be resolved because a significant amount of dirty air seems to come over the oil cooler pods.
If I rode more motorway miles I would consider moving to an R1150rt which is an excellent bike, but having owned a Pan European I know I wouldn't like the extra weight or that disengaged from the riding experience feeling one can get from riding a bike with a barn door faring .

All the best
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Here is another windshield thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23604
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

As has been mentioned...the cost of trial & error, is a tad steep.

Between OEM tall shield & Laminar Lip, I have about $280 invested already. And not really happy. As I said the shield alone is fine for buzzin' round town, but on a trip after all day it gets to me. I may have to just get used to wearing plugs all the time when traveling? And their a PITA....maybe I'll try a pair of molded plugs?

I like the look & {promised} performance of the Parabellum Scout. But at $800 painted, that is a pricey roll of the dice.

Anyone have one ?...opinion? ...their web-site doesn't show it, but I'd like to see a shot [from the saddle].

Ron
Keppelj
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Keppelj »

I take for granted that sitting in the wind at speed and wanting to preserve my hearing I will be wearing earplugs. I've done it for decades of bikes, all sorts. Apart form RTs which I haven't owned, I can't image that I'd want to put up with the noise. The best protection I've found is a dingle fairing on a GS, but even there I've preferred the foam plugs. How reasonable is the expectation not to?
Mister Red
Basic User

Post by Mister Red »

I've got a Parabellum Scout on the bike I recently purchased. I was a little shocked to find out how much it cost. I love the cafe' look it gives the bike, but I prefer to ride without it. It has the lowest height shield on it and the wind hits below my helmet, buffeting my head from below. They sell higher shields ($200 - ouch) that would probably work better at deflecting the wind over the top of the helmet.

Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Ron,
just curious...when you say "tall," do you mean the touring screen which is the tallest of the oem screens or the "Tall 380" screen, which is significantly shorter than the touring screen?

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Ron,
just curious...when you say "tall," do you mean the touring screen which is the tallest of the oem screens or the "Tall 380" screen, which is significantly shorter than the touring screen?

John
John, yes I am reffering to the {OEM} touring screen. I thought the Parabellum screens were $139-149...clear~v~tint?

As per their site, they recommend a tall shield for those over 5'9'-5'10".

I'm pretty serious about trying one. I'm 6'1" so I'll ask what they recommend when i order. Yeah $800 painted & tinted is pricey, but if it affords the comfort?...well.........

Ron

I too like the look, I'll need to re-locate my road-lamps , but that can be worked out.
pdiambri
Basic User

Post by pdiambri »

I have been riding with the Cee Bailey tall (21.5) shield for three years on my 2004 R1150R. Works great. Just got back from a 2300 mile trip Chicago, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia. If you need more protection, Wunderlich makes a small add on, adjustable deflector, to add on.
gaweston
Basic User

Post by gaweston »

I've just gone through this myself.I bought the bike with the touring shield and hated the buffeting. I took off the shield and bought a Shuberth C3 for too much money, but now find riding without a shield much quieter.Great helmet. I did buy the sport shield, which uses the same mounts I had left in place.This shield deflects a bit of wind off the body,but introduces buffeting again,tho not as much as the taller screen. I am going to take this off again for the summer months and enjoy the quiet breeze, and save the touring screen for October through May. Im 6'2" BTW.
duegi
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by duegi »

Folks,

Remember the design premise of the R1150R is a naked motorcycle.

When taking into consideration all the variables of rider height and wind screen design, height, angle, etc. The end result will always be relative to that specific rider. What one find acceptable for wind noise and buffeting will be annoying to the next person.

More often than not trying to create a pocket of bliss on a naked motorcycle is an exercise in futility. A person would be better off with an RT if buffeting and wind noise is too much to deal with.

I'm not trying to kill a thread, just adding a little perspective.
Besides if all else fails there is always the automobile, but that isn't why we ride...
Last edited by duegi on Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett
May your friction coefficient always be constant...
gaweston
Basic User

Post by gaweston »

Good thoughts. In my case, with 1 bike, I'm just trying to maximize the enjoyment under all conditions. However, after my latest experiences, I think for me it is best to go without a screen, and dress for the weather instead.
cswett
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by cswett »

I've been using the Aeroflow setup of touring shield and tank wings on my 2004 R for two years. Love it, no buffeting, and plenty of protection, nearly $600 but worth it. Sadly, they no longer make the mounting brackets, so keep your eyes open for a used unit.
Zamp
Basic User

Post by Zamp »

+1 on Aeroflow. I had the sport screen with laminar lip. It was OK.. Then got the Aeroflow with tank wings... Incredible wind protection..
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

Just an update to this thread. i tried the laminar Lip,..it was better

I then tried ,and now have the Wunderlich deflector added,..and it made all the difference. Much quieter, no buffeting. I still use earplugs on all day trips, mostly cause I like the super quiet,and it's likely the smart thing to do.
Buckeye Beemer
Lifer

Post by Buckeye Beemer »

ron prior,

Did you take off the laminar lip and are running with the deflector?

Larry
86 K100RS
93 K1100RS
04 R1150R
BMW MOA 123254
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

Yes I now have just the added deflector, and it is the best combination I've tried.
Much quieter and actually no buffeting at all. It cost twice that of the Laminar , but I don't fuss much about price if ?..something works.
philm35
Basic User

Post by philm35 »

The Wunderlich Vario screen looks interesting to me... Perhaps its adjustability would help minimize buffeting? Anybody tried one?

--Phil
Ol' Jeffers

Post by Ol' Jeffers »

MRA VNTB for me too! Had one on my big ol' 1700 V Twin Yamaha a few years back and
now I have one on my 1150R. Build quality is second to none and the adjustable lip
really works. 8)
OJ........everybody's pal!!