Bellypan - Gimbel or Wunderlich?

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

bmwfbd628u
Basic User

Bellypan - Gimbel or Wunderlich?

Post by bmwfbd628u »

Hi,

Scanned through previous posts on bellypan, and understand there are two options - Gimbel or Wunderlich. Leaning towards Gimbel mainly due to the price of Eur 129 (unpainted excluding shipping) listed on eBay. Anyone has comments / thoughts on Gimbel, or better still on both for comparison?

Thanks.

Justin
bmwfbd628u
Basic User

Re: Bellypan - Gimbel or Wunderlich?

Post by bmwfbd628u »

Hi Again,

Am seeking specific comments / thoughts on the fit, build quality and impact on ride (if any). Yet to find any pictures of the Gimbel bellypan fitted on a Rockster - would appreciate those too. Thanks.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Don't think I've seen any pics, sorry. I've never wanted to put a bellypan on my bike.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

You can find a bellypan pic in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14321

There's also a Rockster group within Facebook with strong Euro presence... you might find a few lower-fairing-equipped bike pics there.

Believe I have a few Roadster/Rockster bellypan pics on another computer... will check.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Gimbel are notorius for poor fitting. At least when it comes to their fairings. Many people have made bad experience. Could be different with the belly pan.

Just to warn you.

Brgds
Oliver
jobooth321
Basic User

Post by jobooth321 »

Here's mine
http://www.eurotechmotorsports.com/phot ... StartRow=2

I don't have it on right now as I have to remove the center stand and I really like my center stand.
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels." Groucho Marx
ROXTR
Donating Member #: 1

Post by ROXTR »

I have a Gimbel bellypan on order directly from Germany. I'm also having Gimbel paint it prior to shipping. I'll be sure to post a few pictures once I receive it and install it.
Rockster
Gimbel | Sargent | AFXIED | LeoVince | BoxerPerformance | EBC | Metzeler | RS Ducts | UNI | Bitubo
bmwfbd628u
Basic User

Post by bmwfbd628u »

ROXTR - Any update? Tks.

I am traveling to London in end-Feb/early-Mar for work (1 week), and would like to check where can I check out, and even purchase the Wunderlich Daytona Belly Pan? Goggled and found Rainbow Motorcycles - saw it in their price list but not online store. Have enquired if they still carry the item, and waiting for their reply. Anywhere else I can try? Tks in advance.
ROXTR

Post by ROXTR »

Still no updates yet. I'm still waiting for it to arrive. I'll keep you guys posted.
Rockster
Gimbel | Sargent | AFXIED | LeoVince | BoxerPerformance | EBC | Metzeler | RS Ducts | UNI | Bitubo
ROXTR

Post by ROXTR »

Got a shipping confirmation/tracking number from Gimbel. I'll follow up once it gets stateside.
Rockster
ROXTR

Post by ROXTR »

Bellypan arrived in the mail today. Paint match and paint quality are excellent. However I'm not thrilled with the mounting hardware, so I'm going to source my own. Hopefully I'll have another update soon, with pictures of the bellypan on the Rockster.
Rockster
ROXTR

Post by ROXTR »

Got the Gimbel bellypan installed yesterday. It took some of my own ingenuity for mounting hardware, i.e. I used studs with lock nuts vs bolts to attach the spoiler to the oil pan. This makes it much easier to R&R during oil changes because I don't have to line anything up, I simply push the bellypan up over the studs and thread the nuts on and tighten. With the supplied belts, you have to hold the bellypan up with one hand while trying to line up the holes and install the bolts with the other hand. Not very much fun. Anyhow, here are the pictures as promised.
Bellypan:
Before:
After:
Rockster
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

Looks really good!
Buckster '03R
ROXTR

Post by ROXTR »

Thanks! I'm very happy with the quality of the piece. It took some ingenuity on my part for the mounting so I'd be satisfied with the fit. But the unit itself is top notch and the paint match is spot on.
Rockster
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Mine's got Gimbel's full "Goddess" fairing and its accompanying bellypan, so I might adopt your method of bespoke stud-n-bolt fixing, as I gave up trying to fit the pan last winter - my shaky hand syndrome puts the fitting job out-of-the-game, what with trying to see where the bolt holes are whilst lying prone on a chilly floor, struggling to push the bolts in.

But the Goddess fairing certainly revolutionises the bike's handling qualities compared to when the Rockster had its basic OEM dingle headlamp nacelle, despite the Gimbel fairing's rather clumsy and hamfisted mounting fitment suggestions.

But at 1,300 snoojits inc painting in Germany ( perfect colour match with the bike's orange scheme ) shipping and taxes, it's costly though.

Picture:-

http://s864.photobucket.com/user/sykosp ... g.html?o=0

The white cardboard box on the tank-top is what the 2 crushingly-loud klaxons came in from Nippy Normans. Believe-you-me, here in Spain you need 'em, especially when Dolores in her Datsun doesn't see you unless you blast her eardrums beforehand.
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Incidentally, I discovered that some bozo during a past maintenance job had snapped off one of the bellypan bolts in the sump casting. Scary job drilling the stud out, with visions of holing the sump !

AL in s.e. Spain

Diane Keaton - "Yes, he shot him in the eye."
Woody Allen - "My God - so he blinded him ?"
Diane Keaton - "No you fool, he killed him."
Woody Allen - "Oh, of course, it goes right through..."

Annie Hall, Universal Pictures, 1977
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

sykospain wrote:Mine's got Gimbel's full "Goddess" fairing and its accompanying bellypan, so I might adopt your method of bespoke stud-n-bolt fixing, as I gave up trying to fit the pan last winter - my shaky hand syndrome puts the fitting job out-of-the-game, what with trying to see where the bolt holes are whilst lying prone on a chilly floor, struggling to push the bolts in.

But the Goddess fairing certainly revolutionises the bike's handling qualities compared to when the Rockster had its basic OEM ---- headlamp nacelle, despite the Gimbel fairing's rather clumsy and hamfisted mounting fitment suggestions.

But at 1,300 snoojits inc painting in Germany ( perfect colour match with the bike's orange scheme ) shipping and taxes, it's costly though.

Picture:-

http://s864.photobucket.com/user/sykosp ... g.html?o=0

The white cardboard box on the tank-top is what the 2 crushingly-loud klaxons came in from Nippy Normans. Believe-you-me, here in Spain you need 'em, especially when Dolores in her Datsun doesn't see you unless you blast her eardrums beforehand.

Interesting fairing! Makes the bike look a lot like a Bandit (to my eyes).

How good are the aerodynamics?

Also - how good are those lights - they look like projector housings rather than the older-style reflectors the bike has as standard. Are they an improvement?
(I assume the extra side lights are your addition?- PIAAs?)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Yes, RiceBurner, as I said the fairing does make the Rockster look like a Suzuki 1200, which is what it's derived from by the German manufacturer Gimbel GmbH, who clearly admits where the moulding came from.

And yes, it really improves the high-speed handling of the Rockster, in fact the previous-but-one owner who actually paid the 1,300 snoojits for it, remarked that it "revolutionised" the handling.

And as my middle son says, the original **ckpit ( the Moderator's censoring software doesn't like that word that appears to refer to the male member and so the perfectly innocuous word is blanked out - now there's a classic case of the tail wagging the dog ) headlamp nacelle design is "surely the ugliest conception of a motorbike front-end that's ever been devised."

And at night, when my ageing eyes perceive less contrast, meaning that I avoid like the plague any suggestion of night-riding whenever possible, the extra twin piercing shafts of bright white light stabbing forward down the tarmac in front of me from those two projectors, make my ride ineffably safer.

Which additionally means that Dolores in her Dacia might be more likely to notice me, as she pootles along in her tin box doing her makeup, prinking her hairdo and answering her mobile and never ever checking her mirrors, which can't be a bad thing...
sykospain

Post by sykospain »

Front-end pictures of the Gimbel 'Goddess' half-fairing for the Rockster, those which I originally intended to show but couldn't work out how to simply attach graphics files straight into this ancient-technology forum, without having to mess about including cumbersome URL listings like these :-

http://s864.photobucket.com/user/sykosp ... 7.jpg.html

http://s864.photobucket.com/user/sykosp ... ort=3&o=11

http://s864.photobucket.com/user/sykosp ... ort=3&o=12

AL in s.e. Spain
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Hmm - it does look rather 'generously rounded' - much more Bella Emburg than Claudia Schiffer....
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life