LiFePo4 battery

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

LiFePo4 battery

Post by omg1010 »

Hi everyone,

I recently got myself a nice LiFePo4 pattery pack from China (through fleabay). It took 10 days to arrive and did not get stuck in customs :mrgreen:

I got my battery here http://myworld.ebay.com/sz_ohmygod/?_trksid=p4340.l2559 and it is a 12 cell 13.2 V / 6.9 AH (which is good enough for our oilheads).

I got myself a nice housing (waterproof). Drilled 2 holes in there for the cables to come out. Applied some foam padding inside) and in goes the battery pack. The result is a small case on 120 x 120 x 90 mm with a total weight of 1277 grams. Photos here https://picasaweb.google.com/1003408169 ... o4Batterie

I have not yet installed the battery hence tests are yet to follow. The overall cost have been very reasonable I must say. And the weight saving is noticeable!

Brgds
Oliver
The Meromorph
Basic User

Re: LiFePo4 battery

Post by The Meromorph »

A few people over here in the US have been trying Shorai Lithium Ion battery packs. Racers are unequivocally delighted with the weight saving, and find performance completely satisfactory.
On the road users report mixed levels of satisfaction, for two reasons.
This type of battery is very temperature sensitive, and cold starting with the battery under 40F is problematical, under 30F requires the battery to be warmed up before the bike will start.
This type of battery has a very low capacity to handle parasitic drains. Even a clock will have the battery unable to start the bike after a month of non-use, and an anti-theft system, or any drain larger than 0.1 amps, will have the battery dead flat after less than a week. And they are damaged even more than Lead/Acid cells by running them completely flat.

HTH. Good Luck. :)
2001 BMW R1100R, Parabellum WIndshield.
CRazyCam
Basic User

Post by CRazyCam »

The Meromorph wrote:A few people over here in the US have been trying Shorai Lithium Ion battery packs. Racers are unequivocally delighted with the weight saving, and find performance completely satisfactory.
On the road users report mixed levels of satisfaction, for two reasons.
This type of battery is very temperature sensitive, and cold starting with the battery under 40F is problematical, under 30F requires the battery to be warmed up before the bike will start.
I fitted one of the Shorai batteries to my R850R, a couple of months ago.

I was super impressed by the lightness, I think there was about a kilo and a half saving compared to the original lead/acid one.

I'm not a racer, but I am also not as fit and strong as I used to be, so any weight saving, especially quite high up, is a bonus for me.

Living in Sydney, Oz, the cold starting hasn't been a problem, and we don't tend to leave our bikes unused for any great length of time, either, so I am very happy with the Shorai.

So far, so good...... so far so good..... :D

regards,CrazyCam
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

As I said, testing will follow. But as a matter of fact my regular battery was also dead after a month or so because of parasitic drain (clock, etc). Hence I will either disconnect the battery or keep it on the charger ...

At the moment we are at -4° C at night and around 6° C during daytime. I'll probably put the battery in over the weekend and then see ...

Brgds
Oliver
Boxerpunk
Basic User

Post by Boxerpunk »

omg1010 wrote:Hi everyone,

I recently got myself a nice LiFePo4 pattery pack from China (through fleabay). It took 10 days to arrive and did not get stuck in customs :mrgreen:

I got my battery here http://myworld.ebay.com/sz_ohmygod/?_trksid=p4340.l2559 and it is a 12 cell 13.2 V / 6.9 AH (which is good enough for our oilheads).
OMG Batteries ?
Are you trying to sell your own products here ? :smt110
Greetz, Erwin

2003 Rockster Full Black
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Hello Erwin,

why don't you just keep your fingers away from the keyboard? I have been posting enough here to prove that I am not from China and that I am not trying to sell anything to anybody.

Brgds
Oliver
Witch Doctor
Basic User

Post by Witch Doctor »

Don't know about the Chi-com battery, but just put a Tek in a buddy's R100 SRS. Its cranking power is pretty cool, it didn't have the ole airhead start. It fired up quick as a hiccup. We just had to augment the box because it is considerably smaller.
"You are a unique person, just like everybody else!!” - Warren Miller
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Yes correct, the cranking power is cool. And yes the battery is considerably smaller than the stock or the widely used Odyssey PC680 battery - hence some rubber foam will do the job and fill the gaps ...

Brgds
Oliver