Stalling while stationary

This forum houses topics related to other BMW bikes that dont have their own forum (s1000r, r9t, K1200R, F800, r1250r, GS, HP2, HP4, F, K bikes, etc), or upcoming machines

Moderator: Moderators

Ell-on-Wheels
Lifer
Donating Member #: 60

Stalling while stationary

Post by Ell-on-Wheels »

Hi guys and gals, new here :-)

I own a 2001 R1150RT (120,000+/- kms), which up until a few months ago, has been ever so reliable and a pleasure to own
... didn't miss a beat or use a drop of oil across the Nulla and back last March/April :-)

It has however the past three or so months taken to chugging/stuttering and at worst conking out while stationary at lights, sometimes even conking out while changing down gears (2nd-1st) before coming to a stop - slightly scary when trying to brake, watch traffic and attempt to keep it running all at the same time! :-( I'm having to falsely hold the revs up to 1500-2000, just to keep it from stalling! :-( This issue only occurs when the bike is totally warm/hot, at five/six bars

It's just had it's major 120,000 service (with BMW Motorad Southbank) and we were all hopeful that during that service, it's "issue" would also have been taken care of, as the techs weren't able to find fault with it prior to this major service (tech did take it for a good 40min ride prior to service, had it nice and 'hot', didn't stall on him once). It's also had the coil replaced and TPS.

Read with interest Spiney's post (link below) and wondered if my bike's issue is related ...?

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=21733

Looking fwd to hearing from any other 1150RT owners who have experienced same/similar problems with theirs, and how to get it fixed.

Love my bike, but she's not happy and is not a pleasure to go for a ride at the moment - obviously :-(

Ell