Better MPG

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

badgertom
Basic User

Better MPG

Post by badgertom »

I currently get about 45-48 MPG on my 2008 R1200R. Is there anything that can be done to improve the mileage per gallon? What about a Performance Controller? Also, my Rider's Manual states that by using 95 ROZ/RON Super fuel I can expect "reduced performance and consumption" Do they really mean reduced fuel consumption ( at the loss of some performance). I have been using super plus (98).
My 1400 Suzuki Intruder used to get 50-55mpg
TAG-Caver
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Better MPG

Post by TAG-Caver »

badgertom wrote:I currently get about 45-48 MPG on my 2008 R1200R. Is there anything that can be done to improve the mileage per gallon? What about a Performance Controller? Also, my Rider's Manual states that by using 95 ROZ/RON Super fuel I can expect "reduced performance and consumption" Do they really mean reduced fuel consumption ( at the loss of some performance). I have been using super plus (98).
My 1400 Suzuki Intruder used to get 50-55mpg
Ensuring your tires are properly inflated and resisting the temptation to whack the throttle are ways to improve gas mileage. I found when I ran regular there was a decrease in gas mileage, but I didn't notice a decrease in throttle response. If you put it on a dyno you'd be able to verify the amount of horsepower loss. I haven't seen any comparison like that, but I'd be curious about the results.
2008 R1200R
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

badgertom wrote:Is there anything that can be done to improve the mileage per gallon?
High-40 to low 50-mpg is fairly good. With those numbers, you're not riding it aggressively, and that more than anything affects fuel consumption. Try filling the tires to 80 percent of the maximum psi on the sidewall, upshift as quickly as you can to 6th and lose weight. You might get up to 55, but all that pales to throttle control. After about 80 fuel ups, I've averaged 41 mpg.

I've been following the advice on Jim Ford's site. (Hope to take one of his classes soon.) In the 3K to 6k powerband, the R12R really is smoothest, most responsive, and most fun to ride. Of late, I've rarely gotten past 3rd on back roads. The extra few bucks spent on fuel are worth it.
Bill
nielsm
Basic User

Post by nielsm »

Depends entirely on how aggressively you ride. If you accelerate quickly & don't short shift, your mileage will suffer. You'll have more fun, but at the expense of fuel.

My bike ridden moderately is in the mid-high 40s. Riding lazily on the highway, I'll get around 50MPG. Aggressive riding drops it down to high 30s or low 40s.
Current bikes: 2012 R1200GSA, 2007 R1200R
Past bikes: 1997 F650, 1998 R1100GS, 2000 K1200RS
tinytrains
Lifer

Post by tinytrains »

Over 12K miles, I have averaged 42 MPG (exactly same as my old K75). That is commuting 32 miles each way, with 75% freeway at 75 MPH. Sunday morning rides at 50 MPH yield about 50 MPG, and one tank I had of city stop and go got only 38 MPG. Speed and style really makes a big difference.

Running lower grade fuel will reduce available horsepower, but I am not sure it will affect MPG. Acceleration and aerodynamic drag are the two major things that affect MPG on bikes.

Sounds like you are doing quite well. The Suzuki got better mileage, but did it make as much horsepower? That is a factor too.

Scott
Scott Schifer, Torrance CA.
1988 K75 Low Seat
2009 R1200R
ammolab
Lifer

Post by ammolab »

tinytrains wrote:Over 12K miles, I have averaged 42 MPG (exactly same as my old K75). That is commuting 32 miles each way, with 75% freeway at 75 MPH. Sunday morning rides at 50 MPH yield about 50 MPG, and one tank I had of city stop and go got only 38 MPG. Speed and style really makes a big difference.

Running lower grade fuel will reduce available horsepower, but I am not sure it will affect MPG. Acceleration and aerodynamic drag are the two major things that affect MPG on bikes.

Sounds like you are doing quite well. The Suzuki got better mileage, but did it make as much horsepower? That is a factor too.

Scott

I got and still get about 42MPG (calculated) on my 'old K75' and the new R1200R is doing about 44 to 46MPG (computer). I find odometers can be off enough on some motorcycles to give or take quite a few 'actual MPG' from your calculations.
Red 2011 R1200R
Blue 1986 K75C
Steel Grey 2002 M Coupe
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

It's not entirely how aggressive you ride - it's also WHERE you ride. Riding on superslab, and keeping the bike to 70MPH or so - 55 MPG is easily attainable. Riding in an urban environment, 35 MPG can be difficult to achieve. Aggressiveness does make a difference - best trip mileage I ever got was on the break-in trip for my R1200R - through the mountains of WV and then down the Blue Ridge to the RA rally at the Biltmore. Was keeping it pretty conservative on the way down - and got over 55 MPG average. On the way back, I opened it up a bit, and mileage fell accordingly, but still was somewhere around 50MPG.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
cgl
Basic User

Post by cgl »

My 2 months old R1200R is doing about 20 km/l (46 MPG (US) or 55 MPG (imp)), urban riding with about 70% of the time on the highway (100 km/h).

This morning's ride was astonishingly frugal, with the bike's computer reading about 4.2 l/100km, or 56 MPG(US). It usually matches my actual calculation quite closely, so should be trustworthy. But it was a cool 26˚C morning, and traffic was unusually smooth.

I think ambient temperature plays a part too in the fuel consumption, besides the tire pressures and riding style.

Coming from a F800ST, this beast drinks petrol!
92 Suzuki GN125
95 Suzuki Intruder 400
00 R1100R
06 HD Sportster 1200
08 F800ST
11 R1200R Classic
tl440
Lifer

Post by tl440 »

When I crossed the border into Oregon last summer I reset the mpg calculator and began to observe the posted speed limits. I gained about 5 mpg.
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

I am resurrecting this topic because I have just ridden my 12 about 1100 miles and its mpg is a bit puzzling.

I see what the averages are, and I am surprised by the variability, considering coming from an 1150, I was getting 20-25% better mileage on the road. Like 47-52, best 57.
But
I've only ridden the 12 1100 miles, though the bike now has 15+k. A couple of weeks ago, a friend and I rode to Alabama and the weather was lows, mid thirties and highs in the hi 60s. Admittedly I was new to the display, and it is a bit user hostile, but I think I saw current mpg at 55. Thinking back on it it may have been average speed, but by today, I knew the difference. Rode from New Orleans to Jasper, Ar in the cold. Leaving NO the temps were in the low 40s and I was getting 37, then 38, then 39 mpg. As I rode north the temps went down to the mid 30s and the ave mpg went up to 41-42. In the afternoon the temps were in the mid 40s and I was getting 43-46 mpg. All speeds were interstate speed of 65-85. Going slower and less hooliganish didn't make things any better. 4 bars on engine temp. Remus muffler.
IN the beginning of the day I was going against a north wind, but later it was calm.
All power is there, I think, and the idle is smooth. I have not yet done an anal valve adj or TBS, haven't seen the plugs. Also, I was thinking stick coils as when they act up it can be very intermittant and I've had them, on the 1150, produce a low mpg as the first symptom
As I said I am new to the 12, but I expected better
Does this sound right re the mpg?
TIA
John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

Dr. Strangelove wrote:I am resurrecting this topic because I have just ridden my 12 about 1100 miles and its mpg is a bit puzzling.

I see what the averages are, and I am surprised by the variability, considering coming from an 1150, I was getting 20-25% better mileage on the road. Like 47-52, best 57.
But
I've only ridden the 12 1100 miles, though the bike now has 15+k. A couple of weeks ago, a friend and I rode to Alabama and the weather was lows, mid thirties and highs in the hi 60s. Admittedly I was new to the display, and it is a bit user hostile, but I think I saw current mpg at 55. Thinking back on it it may have been average speed, but by today, I knew the difference. Rode from New Orleans to Jasper, Ar in the cold. Leaving NO the temps were in the low 40s and I was getting 37, then 38, then 39 mpg. As I rode north the temps went down to the mid 30s and the ave mpg went up to 41-42. In the afternoon the temps were in the mid 40s and I was getting 43-46 mpg. All speeds were interstate speed of 65-85. Going slower and less hooliganish didn't make things any better. 4 bars on engine temp. Remus muffler.
IN the beginning of the day I was going against a north wind, but later it was calm.
All power is there, I think, and the idle is smooth. I have not yet done an anal valve adj or TBS, haven't seen the plugs. Also, I was thinking stick coils as when they act up it can be very intermittant and I've had them, on the 1150, produce a low mpg as the first symptom
As I said I am new to the 12, but I expected better
Does this sound right re the mpg?
TIA
John
There is a question if it shows average MPG or current MPG. On my 11 I see variance usually between 45 and 55 but it depends on when I check it and when it was last reset. For example if you are going steady 60 mph in 5th gear and reset the MPG it might show in the high 60s. If you reset it when riding 40 mph in 2nd gear the MPG is way down. Thats what I would expect but if you want to answer the question "what is the MPG I am getting?" you need to define how you are measuring it, especially if trying to compare to other r12r bikes. Also MPG varies depending on gas octane you are using, higher octane gives higher MPG.
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

thanks for the response, catchina...
I find the display "menu" a little difficult to navigate. The bike didn't come with the book and I have it on my phone and laptop, but that is not nearly as easy as the book to use.

If memory serves, I am pressing the INFO button and it cycles through ave mpg and outside temp and ave speed and miles til empty.

If I press the #2 button, on the bottom, the top display, below the clock, cycles thru tri 1 and trip 11, total miles, tire pressures, I think that's it

It seems that the ave mpg and ave speed resets with every turn off or fill up???haven't figured that out yet.

I have had the display on ave mpg and while riding pushed the #2 button to reset it and nothing seems to happen, but I am doing it through thick gloves so maybe not engaging???

Bike is an 09

I have never gotten to a screen like you describe, that shows "current mpg" as some cars have, ie, when you're coasting the mpg goes WAY up, like 100 mpg. That's what I am really looking for.

Also, should mention as one member suggested, that I am using Givi sidecases and topcase. So we have the aero of a pig. When I went to Alabama only topcase.
No strap on luggage on either trip

thanks.

John
hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Post by hjsbmw »

Dr. Strangelove wrote:It seems that the ave mpg and ave speed resets with every turn off or fill up???haven't figured that out yet.

I have had the display on ave mpg and while riding pushed the #2 button to reset it and nothing seems to happen, but I am doing it through thick gloves so maybe not engaging???
Avg. mpg and speed don't reset automatically (unless you disconnect the battery). To reset, select the value you want to reset, e.g. avg. mpg by pressing forward on the Info button, and when the desired value is on the display, hold the Info button down until the value gets cleared.

All values are cumulative averages. If you want quasi-instantaneous avg. mpg, clear the value while you are riding, let it recalculate and get steady, and assume that to be you avg. mpg at the moment.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Hi, Harald, thanks

I just took the time to RTFM and I see that. Waiting for above freezing temps here in NW Ark, 31 now, then I will try. So thanks again for the confirmation of wht I read. Sorry for being such a noob on this

BTW, using "plus" grade gas and have run some seafoam through.

John
roger l
Donating Member #: 1

Post by roger l »

I find that my gas milage goes down when the temperature drops. This is possible due to the fact that I let the bike warm up for about 1 to 2 minutes before I get on and ride. The oil in the engine and the transmission is cold and it takes more energy to move the bike. Also, cold air is more dense than warm air so there is more wind resistance. My summer gas milage for a tank of gas is in the high 40's to low 50's. My cold weather milage is in the low 40's.

Roger L
cug
Basic User

Post by cug »

roger l wrote:I find that my gas milage goes down when the temperature drops. This is possible due to the fact that I let the bike warm up for about 1 to 2 minutes before I get on and ride.
It's not recommended to do this. The bike warms up way slower on idle than under (low) load. It's much healthier to just let it idle for two or three seconds until it stabilized and then ride off. The "don't warm it up on idle while standing still" recommendation in the manuals generally does not have an environmental, but technical background.

Put the proper oil for the temperatures in (like 10W40 instead of 20W50) and it should work just fine. Check the manual which oil is recommended by BMW for your bike and for what temperature range.

When I had 20W50 in my Camhead GS it wouldn't even idle properly without throttle after starting it below freezing. Changed to 10W40 and absolutely no issues at all.
Catchina
Lifer

Post by Catchina »

hjsbmw wrote:
Dr. Strangelove wrote:It seems that the ave mpg and ave speed resets with every turn off or fill up???haven't figured that out yet.

Avg. mpg and speed don't reset automatically (unless you disconnect the battery). To reset, select the value you want to reset, e.g. avg. mpg by pressing forward on the Info button, and when the desired value is on the display, hold the Info button down until the value gets cleared.

All values are cumulative averages. If you want quasi-instantaneous avg. mpg, clear the value while you are riding, let it recalculate and get steady, and assume that to be you avg. mpg at the moment.
Yep, left hand press and hold the button to reset mpg or avg speed display. If you are moving at a good speed and pull in the clutch for a bit, so rpm drops while you are still going fast, the mpg skyrockets. That's what makes me think the display is current mpg, maybe not average :-)
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
David R
Basic User

Post by David R »

Just watch the instantaneous mileage when you are going 85. It drops like crazy.

I do have a barn door windshield.

My 1100Rt got a little better fuel mileage than the new R, but it does not have the power and should have better aerodynamics.

It also doesn't have near the balls of the camhead.

44 mpg is my average after 6,000 miles. I don't drive fast. :)

David

HI catchina!
Catchina
Lifer

Post by Catchina »

David R wrote:I don't drive fast. :)

David

HI catchina!
hi David ... depends on what you mean by fast, it's all relative...relative to you I'm a turtle :D
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

I had a chance today to do a loop from Jasper, Ark to Push Mountain Road (Ark 341) and back. 50 ish degrees, Plus in the tank. sidecases on, but now empty.

When I reset the mpg while riding, as rec'd, in gear and running, I saw 65 first then it rapidly dropped to mid 50s and stayed there for a little bit then went to 45-46 after about a minute or so.

From others, it sounds like I am in mid pack on mpg. I guess what confused me was
1-my 1150 gets better mileage, though not as powerful
2-the pi$$ing contest that happens sometimes in mpg threads where one can get the impression that low to mid 50s average over a tank is the norm. Makes me wonder if people seeing the initial numbers are reporting that as their mpg?

Also, the fuel mixture will be richer when cold, so poorer mileage

Thanks for the info
John