BMW WORST SEAT

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Neil
Lifer
Donating Member #: 918

BMW WORST SEAT

Post by Neil »

Has any one found a way to make the seat on these bikes even vaguely comfortable in particular the passenger seat , I replaced my Rockster (with passenger Comfort seat ) with this bike the Rockster was all day comfortable as was all my precious BMW K1200RS R1100RS R1100GS this bike is half an hour bearable
I have tried a lams wool to me it made little difference except to make the seat slippery.
Bob Ain't Stoppin'

Re: BMW WORST SEAT

Post by Bob Ain't Stoppin' »

Neil, Im being a little flip here, but the way to make the seat comfortable is to send it to one of the several vendors for a rework. I have Bill Mayer, but the other guys also know what they are doing. As to pillion, my wife said the stock pillion seating was the worst of any bike I have owned in the past. With the new Mayer seat it seems a bit better, but still not very good. Fortunately, she has her own bike to ride and so almost never is two up with me.

My guess would be that Russell would offer the best pillion accommodation.
rokinrider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by rokinrider »

When will they do something about it??? One of the best motorcycles with the crappiest seat!!!! I'm a Sargent fan!!!
Speed cures all handling problems.
2009 R-12R awesome
2000 HD FLHT 95" slightly modified
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

The car salesmen have a saying "Their's an ass for every seat" meaning anything can be sold, but in reality a seat doesn't fit every ass. I'm sure their are thousands of people that find the stock seat perfectly adequate. I've done thousand mile days on a stock seat and was able to walk at the end of the day. Remember BMW markets this bike as an urban bike not a long distance tourer, just something to ride back and forth to work or on errands. :lol:

The seat is one of the easiest things to change, maybe that's why so many people do it. Next comes moving the handlebar location, moving the foot pegs up or down and of course mounting a big windshield or fairing all in an effort to change the machine into something other than what it was designed as. The ease of doing those modifications on the R1200R is why many of us are riding this particular model.

If you look at a seat manufactures catalog you'll see seats are offered for most motorcycles and a stroll through a parking lot full of various brand motorcycles will show that many are sporting redone or aftermarket seats. Even bikes that are touring specific like the Honda Gold Wing (the people that invented the long distance touring barge) are commonly equipped with aftermarket seats. So seems like BMW doesn't make the worst seat but only a seat like most other bikes.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

My 2011 r12r came with the "low comfort seat". I have no complaints, it actually seems to be getting more comfortable with time...
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
Neil
Lifer

Post by Neil »

Bob yes some of the USA people do seam to make very good seats but I am in OZ when I got the bike it came with a low seat and a high one I wanted the high but the low is a better shape so I sent the low seat of to Australian Comfy Seats in Melbourne with the instruction to make it the same hight as the high seat but retain the same rider shape and give the passenger a shape like the R1150R comfort seat more saddle like.
It cost me $450 and looked great and for 5 minutes it was but it was far to soft and had no support . I think BMW has got the foam density right it is just the shape that is all wrong especially the pillion I have never seen a bum the shape of that pillion seat.
As far as BMW claiming the R1200R is a town bike the broacher's we get clam it is the perfect do it all bike and with the small fly screen fitted and pannier's it is , in countries like OZ with quite low speed limits max 110ks on a few selected freeways and the rest 100Ks or less except for that or-full seat.
I find it very disappointing that even with the 2012 model they offer a comfort seat that should be the only one not an option at a exorbitant extra cost.
Rocket
Basic User

Post by Rocket »

Hello folks,

Been away from the forum for a year and just popped back to check an old thread when I saw this.

I had the same complaint with my stock seat. My solution was to buy the BMW comfort seat. It made a noticeable difference to comfort. (its wider and flatter so spreads the bum load better). I found I could travel for 4-5 hours no problem before discomfort set in. For trips over several days (which are rare in my case, I used an Airhawk which worked a treat).

For the last 12 months I've been riding a Triumph Tiger 800XC and the stock seat is much more comfortable than my R12 but it is obviously a completely different design. I was always puzzled why BMW didn't deal with this issue. However, I was in the BMW dealers the other day and sat on a 2012 R1200R. They are nice aren't they ? It had the "comfort" seat fitted, which I hope is now a standard item.

Hope you guys still enjoying great rides on the R1200R

....looks like I 'll be doing another Calendar , this time for the new Tiger 800 , which is going down a storm in UK.

Cheers for now!
Rocket

2007 R1200R (Black)
2006 KTM 400 EXC (Orange,.. obviously)

TIME TO LIVE A LITTLE
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

AFAIK - the "Comfort" seat is standard equipment now. Comes in normal and high versions. To get the low "Uncomfortable" seat bet'cha have to pay. I have a few kicking around in the garage, mebbe they'll become collectors items!
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Neil
Lifer

Post by Neil »

Rocket is the comfort seat a big improvement for the pillion I can all most live with my bit but the pillion seat is the major problem the 2012 seat dose look better especially the pillion seat dose any one know if the 2012 seat will fit the 06to11 model
Chop96
Lifer

Post by Chop96 »

IMHO, the solution = Corbin. :smt023 :smt023 :smt023

Oh, and like Don, I've got one of the standard "uncomfortable" seats in the garage...
Greg
2010 R1200R Biarritz Blue
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

An Airhawk Seat Pad will make just about any seat far more comfortable, I don't leave home for long rides without mine and I have a fancy custom seat too.
Relatively inexpensive and can be moved from bike to bike.

http://www.therohostore.com/Departments ... hions.aspx
Get Lost!
Woland
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Woland »

Lost Rider wrote:An Airhawk Seat Pad will make just about any seat far more comfortable, I don't leave home for long rides without mine and I have a fancy custom seat too.
Relatively inexpensive and can be moved from bike to bike.

http://www.therohostore.com/Departments ... hions.aspx
+1. I have the high BMW comfort seat on mine, which is decent for a couple of hours, but if I do all day/multipel day ride I slap my airhawk on. Its ugly but effective.
abambach
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 992

Post by abambach »

Enjoying a motorcycle in addition to my bicycle, I find the seat quite comfortable. I ride centuries (100 miles pedaling) in 6 hours in a 143mm saddle with no padding and I am good to ride another 75 the next day. It is the "rear" training that helps. You all need to motorcycle more and drive less. :)
--------------------------------
2009 R1200R
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

Neil wrote:Rocket is the comfort seat a big improvement for the pillion I can all most live with my bit but the pillion seat is the major problem the 2012 seat dose look better especially the pillion seat dose any one know if the 2012 seat will fit the 06to11 model
Neil - I'm in Sydney and have the 800mm (low) comfort seat on my 2007 and it's great - it's actually the stock seat on the new R12R. I rode in to my dealer and test-fitted one from a new bike in the showroom, then ordered that part number. BMW Australia have the WRONG shape drawing on the parts site and I couldn't otherwise get any sense out of the dealer because the early model "comfort seats" have to be ordered from Germany with a 'no return' policy. PFFFT!! The new stock seat is current Aussie stock and can be returned.

My pillion (aka Ms Delectable) likes it a lot and says it has reduced the strain the stock low seat (780mm on my 2007) used to put on her legs and lower back from trying to hold on. The pillion section is flat (fore-aft and side-side), has more padding and is higher (reducing knee stress) - and it works well with the back rest pad on my 28 litre top case. AFAIK the high comfort seat is similar in its pillion section.

Stay away from Corbin - there's an importer in Melbourne but Corbin quality is sh*te and even 'stock' combinations can't be returmed. I sold mine on at a substantial loss. Lesson learned!
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

On my 5th Corbin. All have been of high quality. Still own 4 of them.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
Caroanbill
Lifer

Post by Caroanbill »

MTBeemer wrote:On my 5th Corbin. All have been of high quality. Still own 4 of them.
One was quite enough for me, thanks: 100% experience of slap-dash manufacture and no-return policy means that for Australian users (and this one in partickliar) It isn't worth the risk.

Glad you've had good ones, but all your good ones don't make my bad one good (gotta be a rocknroll tune to fit that line ... or is it don't it make my blorwn eyes blue ... !)

:P
#584 Crystal Grey tour-farkelled Vespa GTS250 PX150
xF650CS R1150RS R80 K1100LT R65LS K100RT