'95 R1100R Loose Staunchens in Front Forks?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

rbjjr
Basic User

'95 R1100R Loose Staunchens in Front Forks?

Post by rbjjr »

On my '95 R1100R, I recently noticed that the chromed staunchens inside the front forks both rotate freely if I try and turn them. They dont seem to be loose, but I can rotate both of them. This surprised me as I had assumed that they would be tighly secured and could only travel up and down.

Anyone familiar with this? Should I be able to turn these stauchens or do I need to tighten them down?

Thanks

Burke Johnson
1995 R1100R
Boxerpunk
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: '95 R1100R Loose Staunchens in Front Forks?

Post by Boxerpunk »

Yep, I've noticed the same (one of them).
Tried to tighten it, but didn't succeed, so I guess there's a lot of loctite used
Greetz, Erwin

2003 Rockster Full Black
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: '95 R1100R Loose Staunchens in Front Forks?

Post by omg1010 »

rbjjr wrote:On my '95 R1100R, I recently noticed that the chromed staunchens inside the front forks both rotate freely if I try and turn them. They dont seem to be loose, but I can rotate both of them. This surprised me as I had assumed that they would be tighly secured and could only travel up and down.

Anyone familiar with this? Should I be able to turn these stauchens or do I need to tighten them down?

Thanks

Burke Johnson
1995 R1100R
Burke,

do you mean the chrome-plated upper tubes which slide in the lower tubes? If yes what you observe is quite normal. The upper tubes are not firmly attached/fixed to the lower tubes. The lower part of the fork is fixed to the a-arm through the ball joint. The upper fork (tubes) is fixed to the upper fork bridge using rubber joints which allow some movement of the upper tubes. Nothing to worry about.

Brgds
Oliver