Lambda Sensors and Throttle bodies

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Soliton

Lambda Sensors and Throttle bodies

Post by Soliton »

OK guys I will admit up front I am a motochondriac, but I would rather fix things before they are a problem than after.

My bike (2001 single spark) has 80,000km (50,000 miles) on it.

1 - Should I think about replacing the lambda sensor? (What are the symptoms of a sickly sensor??)

2 - When I press down on the throttle cable pulley on my right hand side throttle body the sound changes from dakka, dakka, dakka to ticka, ticka, ticka. neither sound is loud or intrusive but the change leads me to think that the butterfly shaft may be getting worn and hence time for a re-build. I would rather do it early before the bushing wears to much as the Bing rebuild kit doesn't have the bushings and it seems that although they can be sourced they need to be machined to get the to the right length.

Any thoughts?
"Better to live rich than die rich."
Arbreacames
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Lambda Sensors and Throttle bodies

Post by Arbreacames »

1) Lambda sensor (O2 sensor on this side of the pond)

I wish I knew a way to find out if the sensor is working or not. Since BMW did not put a Check Engine Light , we wouldn't know if we have engine faults. Plus, many bikes are running without a CCP plug and some have speculated that no plug means open-loop only. Anybody knows better?

2) The dakka dakka tikka does not necessarily mean worn bushings. Wncbmw just had his bushings replaced. Vann, how did you find out that you had wear? Was there radial play? Anyway, I don't know if there is much machining needed: as far as I know the bushings only need to be cut in length.
Carlos D.
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Lambda Sensors and Throttle bodies

Post by omg1010 »

As per my knowledge the O2 sensor is indestructible. I never heard of a broken sensor unless it has not been tampered with ...

That funny noise could be either the throttle body - which I would not worry about - or it could be the chain cam tensioner which can easily be replaced. Especially on older models there is an upgrade available ...

Brgds
Oliver