Gas tank stud broken off

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

ipekur
Basic User

Gas tank stud broken off

Post by ipekur »

I have R1100R 1998.
Recently my gas tank started leaking gas from under the seal of the gas pump/filter cover (it is on the inside of the tank).

When I took of the nuts and replaced the seal one of the bottom studs (one of 6) fell off! :(

I took it to the dealer and they laughed and said - get a new tank ($1000 !!!!).

What can I do? any advise would be greatly appreciated! It spring and I need riding time! :twisted:

Thanks!
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Gas tank stud broken off

Post by omg1010 »

ipekur wrote:I have R1100R 1998.
Recently my gas tank started leaking gas from under the seal of the gas pump/filter cover (it is on the inside of the tank).

When I took of the nuts and replaced the seal one of the bottom studs (one of 6) fell off! :(

I took it to the dealer and they laughed and said - get a new tank ($1000 !!!!).

What can I do? any advise would be greatly appreciated! It spring and I need riding time! :twisted:

Thanks!
What your stealer says is rubbish. A good advice from the land of oilheads: http://www.powerboxer.de/tank-sitz/181- ... abgerissen

- clean the area where the stud "fell off" (the stud is welded to the tank from the inside)
- have kitchen paper with grease inside the tank to catch any metal chips while drilling
- drill through the hole with an appropriate drill to get a clean and even hole
- cut a thread
- use a screw of appropriate length and dia and screw in from the inside
- fix and seal the screw from inside using UHU Plus or some other epoxy based glue (fuel resistant)
- attach the plate with the fuel pump/filter and your done

The second pic on the German site gives you an idea. Click on the same to get a larger version.

It is worthwhile mentioning that the plate must be fixed using all 6 studs, otherwise a leak may occur.

Brgds
Oliver
ipekur
Basic User

Post by ipekur »

Thank you very much Oliver!!!! :D

I know dealer just wanted his money.

Thanks for the link and pictures!

Ilya
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by omg1010 »

My pleasure Ilya. Thats why BMW dealers are commonly called "stealers" ... [-(

A little correction Ilya, I think the stud is welded to the tank from the outside and not from the inside. Hence there is no hole where the stud has been ... Thus you need to clean the area where the stud has been (and remove any remainders of the stud and the welding) and you then need to drill a hole into the tank where the stud has been. Then cut a thread and screw in an appropriate bolt from the inside.

Good luck with the repair.

Brgds
Oliver