Coming Back to the R12R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Mark
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Coming Back to the R12R

Post by Mark »

Hi,

After 14 months away from riding (moved from Australia to China) I'm now back and went shopping for a new bike today. Went straight back to my local BMW agent with the intention of going for a K1300S. Was going to pass my eye over the Triumph Speed Tripple and Sprint GT too but only in passing.

Well, took the K1300S for a ride and it was outrageous. Super fast and slick but not right for me.
In some ways I'm glad - huge price tag so I wasn't looking forward to pushing that through the budget.

Anyway, I got it out on the road and it was just OK. The power is undeniable but it was not as smooth as I expected. Particularly if you throttle back at speed there is a distinct vibration through the bike. Not horrible but noticeable. You feel integrated with the bike when you get up to speed but at low speeds in traffic it feels heavy and tight with limited ability to flick it around.
The biggest issue was the wind though. I'm 6'1" and anything over 80km/h produced a full on fluttering around my chest and helmet and a real buffeting effect. The ergonomics were OK but a little forward for my liking. Long arms help but it's still a little head down.

I parked it back at the dealers, had a chat with the sales guy and then took the 2012 R1200R out for a run.

It was brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Not dramatically different to my old 2008 but just enough to be new.
The revised wheels, seat, cylinder head shape and colour, and the new colour of the paralever rear end just look great.

So all going well I'll be back on a R12R soon.
Wife is going for the F800R. Took that for a spin too and it was great too, just felt a little small for my body size.

All the best

Mark
Mark
2012 BMW R1200R - Light Grey Metallic
Sydney - Australia
slowtorque
Lifer

Re: Coming Back to the R12R

Post by slowtorque »

Thanks for sharing. I often think I trading my R1150R for one of the K bikes. Never have considered letting loose of the R12R.
Johnny

04 R1150R GONE
10 R1200R GONE
bmwk100
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by bmwk100 »

Welcome back. I'm approaching 24K which will entail the major service, a new tire and new suspension. Thus, I am debating whether to absorb those costs or purchase a new motorcycle. I am definitely leaning on keeping my 2010R which is a great bike.
Blue 10' R1200R
Triumph Sprint ST (traded for)
fleuger99
Basic User

Post by fleuger99 »

bmwk100 wrote:Welcome back. I'm approaching 24K which will entail the major service, a new tire and new suspension. Thus, I am debating whether to absorb those costs or purchase a new motorcycle. I am definitely leaning on keeping my 2010R which is a great bike.
How come you need a new suspension after only two years? Thanks.
2012 R1200R | Grey Matt | Safety Pkg | TPMS | On Board Computer | Luggage Rack | VStream Shield