Brought the R Back Home

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

objectuser
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1029

Brought the R Back Home

Post by objectuser »

My R1200R has been at the dealership on consignment since I bought my R1200GS.

Well it didn't sell. I guess I expected too much $s.

This week we sold my wife's old bike, which gave us some room. So I went and picked it back up.

I can't believe how much more fun this bike is to ride than the GS. The GS is great for what it does great: distance and comfort. And it's not terrible on twisty roads. But ... damn. The R is just at a different level.

I currently don't have any screen on it and I love it that way. My first time through, I was basically trying to make it an upright bike. Now it has no risers and no screen and it feels incredible.

I guess I'm still going to put it up for sale, but I'm rather hesitant. I don't need the money and it just feel great. Maybe it can be my around town bike.

One odd thing ... I stopped to fill it up. Turned it back on, hit the starter ... and it wouldn't do anything. Then I turned it off and on and it fired up. Anyone know why that might be?
2009 R1200R
2009 R1200GS
1968 Norton P11A
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Brought the R Back Home

Post by deilenberger »

objectuser wrote:My R1200R has been at the dealership on consignment since I bought my R1200GS.

Well it didn't sell. I guess I expected too much $s.

This week we sold my wife's old bike, which gave us some room. So I went and picked it back up.

I can't believe how much more fun this bike is to ride than the GS. The GS is great for what it does great: distance and comfort. And it's not terrible on twisty roads. But ... damn. The R is just at a different level.

I currently don't have any screen on it and I love it that way. My first time through, I was basically trying to make it an upright bike. Now it has no risers and no screen and it feels incredible.

I guess I'm still going to put it up for sale, but I'm rather hesitant. I don't need the money and it just feel great. Maybe it can be my around town bike.

One odd thing ... I stopped to fill it up. Turned it back on, hit the starter ... and it wouldn't do anything. Then I turned it off and on and it fired up. Anyone know why that might be?
If you can afford to keep it - and have the room to keep it - then keep it. If it puts a smile on your face thats all that counts.

My WAG - you may be thinking of selling it to justify owning the GS. Since I don't own a GS, nor do I want a GS (IMHO too heavy, too tall, too ugly, and in most cases too much a poser bike) so I don't have that conflict.

FWIW - our local club has a several month long "riding challenge" going on this summer (until Oct 31st) called the "FluffyButt Challenge".. based very loosely on the IronButt National Parks challenge, it involves visiting every state park and historic site in NJ, along with all the state prisons I could find (I sorta put this together..) On a recent FluffyButt Sunday ride - 5 of us ended up looking for a non-existant state park (it exists, but there are no markings), and started down a sand road in the middle of the pine barrens of NJ. About 6 miles later, after everything from some badly broken pavement, to soft sand, to road-wide water hazards - we ALL emerged unscathed back on pavement. Our contingent consisted of me (with Helga the voice in my helmet directing me..), an R1200RT, a K1200LT, and an R1200GS, plus one mutant Japanese cruiser ridden by a members young son.

Point was - the GS did no better and no worse then any of the others of us.. and the other riders thought it was great fun, even the guy on the Light-Truck. You don't need a GS for the majority of stuff people ride in. It can be done on a much simpler less expensive bike.

As far as a long-distance touring bike, equipped right (BMW bags, minimalist shield), I've done numerous multi-day and multi-week rides, up to about 3,000 miles with another R1200R rider (Hi John!), and never felt the need for anything more then what I was riding. Not so sure about the "comfort" issue, but the more I ride (a lot this summer making up for last summer) the more comfortable the seat becomes (Sargent Modified BMW low-seat). Used to be I'd be in pain after 3 hours or so and popping Ibuprofin. Not so much now - 6-7 hour rides are fine with no pain relief needed. LD Rider shorts certainly help.

Anyway - long story short - don't sell the R12R, you'll regret it.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
objectuser
Basic User

Post by objectuser »

The GS needs no justification. It's a great bike and, for me, far more comfortable than the R. But that's for me: I make no pretense on what works for others.

If I go down to one bike again (or, one bike besides my Norton), it'll be the GS. But the R is a ton of fun; much more fun than the GS.

I'm going to try to keep it stock: no screen, no risers. I'll see where that takes me. :!:
2009 R1200R
2009 R1200GS
1968 Norton P11A
ipokebadgers
Lifer
Donating Member #: 913

Post by ipokebadgers »

"One odd thing ... I stopped to fill it up. Turned it back on, hit the starter ... and it wouldn't do anything. Then I turned it off and on and it fired up. Anyone know why that might be?"

It could be your clutch micro switch. Mine was acting up like that. If it happens again try putting the bike in neutral and see if it starts. It was definitely the switch on mine. I blew some air on it and loosened/tightened the adjustment screw and made sure I could hear it click when pulling the clutch lever. I purchased a used switch and haven't had a problem since. I never installed it. I just haven't had the problem again. :-k
2007 R1200R
2000 K1200LT(Gone)
1978 R100S (Gone but not forgotten)
objectuser
Basic User

Post by objectuser »

ipokebadgers wrote:It could be your clutch micro switch. Mine was acting up like that. If it happens again try putting the bike in neutral and see if it starts. It was definitely the switch on mine. I blew some air on it and loosened/tightened the adjustment screw and made sure I could hear it click when pulling the clutch lever. I purchased a used switch and haven't had a problem since. I never installed it. I just haven't had the problem again. :-k
I think I tried putting it in neutral, but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks, I will try that if it happes again.
2009 R1200R
2009 R1200GS
1968 Norton P11A