buying R1150R - 20,000 service question from a newbie

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

tominsilverlake
Basic User

buying R1150R - 20,000 service question from a newbie

Post by tominsilverlake »

Hi all -- I am buying a 2004 R1150R, ABS, Corbin seat, a couple windshields, hard bags, decent tires this weekend. LOVE the bike and have been looking for the right one for a while and think I have found it.

Couple questions -- does the price seem right at somewhere just under $5,000? With the add-ons....

It has about 20,000 (a little under) on the odo and as I read this site and other I find reference to the 20,000 scheduled service. I searched the site and could not find much mention of it --what does the 20,000 service entail? I am not much of a wrencher, although I'll do the valve clearances and change the oil. I don't think I'd do a major service...

I am in Los Angeles, so any ideas of what a dealer charges for whatever the service entails?

The bike is a great price (I think)but if the service is some HUGE thing, and since i have heard so many horror stories about BMW service costs that might tip the balance to the last bike I keep looking at....

The only other bike still in the running is an 04 1150 RT (Police) with 38,000 for 3500 -- pretty clean but I love the R1150R.

Any advice appreciated and looking forward to learning much from this board.
DMM
Lifer
Donating Member #: 725

Re: buying R1150R - 20,000 service question from a newbie

Post by DMM »

Sounds like a great deal. I've seen similar bikes (age, mileage, & build) sell for more. Add in the extras and you've got a great deal.

No idea what the 20k service is. Perhaps it's a late 18k service. Typical service schedule should be every 3k miles - basically an oil and final drive fluid change. The big services occur at every 6k miles (3k service plus extras like transmission fluid change, valve adjust, and TB sync). The major services can be expensive, like around $600-800 from a dealer service dept. (due to labor). However, if you are modestly capable at wrenching, the services are relatively simple enough to learn to do.

Hope that helps a bit.
Member #725
tominsilverlake
Basic User

That helps a great deal. The bike is a one owner bike, and he has all the service records. I thought I had seen something about a 20000 service, but a delayed 18000 sounds good. When I see the records I wanted to make sure the bike was not due a $1500 service or something crazy.

At that price a $600-800 service won't swing much as far as the price, as unless something else shows up when I get to the bike I think it is a great price.
I have read about the stock shocks needing replacement at 20,000, but can cross that road when I get there.

This is going to be my first beemer, and my first not-a-cheap-deal bike. I have had a ton of old Honda and other CL specials, lots of fun but nothing I would take more than an hour from home. I am jumping out of my skin to get this thing.

Thanks for the info.

Tom
MIXR
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by MIXR »

Tom - Be wary about believing some of the hype about these bikes.

While almost all bikes will benefit from a shock upgrade, it is not always necessary. My old R is still running its OEM shocks at 100,000 miles (160,000 kms). I'm no lightweight, and always rode the bike loaded. I ran both ends two turns off full hard for all its life. Would the bike benefit from new shocks? Sure it would. Is it a 'must-do'? No it isn't. Not unless it's leaking (blown) or has some other issue.

The suspension geometry of the R1150xx makes up for a lot of a 'normal' bike's failings. And, the rear shock is eminently rebuildable, and I have done that with my GSA rear. You can do a light 'refurb' on the rear shock oil supply (I think it was CycleRob who explained this), or add a spacer, or do the valving, or replace the spring. Or all of that as I did for sidecar use. Or replace the whole shock with a Wilber or Ohlin etc. The front is more problematic and is generally not rebuildable.

Unless the shocks are showing clear signs of 'not working', save your pennies for something more useful, especially at such a young age of bike (mile-wise).

My opinion, and many will disagree.
I ride an R1150GS Adventure with sidecar. IBA #39193
f4tweet
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by f4tweet »

This is a great mechanic, and a great guy. He is my mechanic. He is in the South Bay/Torrance area.

http://valdis-motozone.com/
"We're surrounded, that simplifies our problem."-Chesty Puller

02 R1150R Black
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Welcome!

5k for a clean fully farkled 2004 R1150R sounds like a good deal. But as with all used bikes, it's about the seller, and how well the bike was taken care of. Sounds like this one is.

IMHO: I replaced my OEM shocks on my 2004 R1150R at 33k and got a set of Hyperpros. It's an upgrade I wish I did years earlier.

I figure owning a BMW sets me back approx. $3-400 a year in spring annual service and mid season oil changes. YMMV.

But I have had drive bearing issues also.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
slowtorque
Lifer

Post by slowtorque »

Yes, $5000 for that bike as described is a good deal. I have never heard of anyone regretting upgrading the shocks, but I was always hesitant to spend the money given my rather conservation riding style. Had I had a leaker, I'd have gone with a quality aftermarket shock and would probably have also said "why didn't I do this sooner?". Good luck!
Johnny

04 R1150R GONE
10 R1200R GONE
tominsilverlake
Basic User

Thank you all for the advice and the info and thanks for the mechanic tip. I was going to ask something specific about mechanics but you beat me to it.

I am pretty damn excited. Last bike (sold a couple weeks ago) was a 83 Honda Cb700SC -- a shaft drive upright ride that was a lot of fun but not very reliable. A bike with bags, and a comfprtable seat? I'll need a decent screen (it comes with a smoked and clear sport fairing (at least I think that's what they are called -- little cowlings over the headlight that look like they'll shove the wind up to my chest) I'll start haunting Ebay looking for an Aerflow...

I'll post pics once I get the thing -- here's hoping the bike is exactly as described.

T
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Nighthawk S? I got one of those! It's almost vintage.

84, 85, and 86 are the model years.

My 84:

Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
tominsilverlake
Basic User

That's the one! Same color, even, although mine was no where near as nice. Bought it for $1000 off CList, rode it a year, and sold it for $1,100.

I have ridden for years but when I moved to LA was not sure I would ride here (as the locals treat motorcycles as targets.) I found out I will ride and that there are some great rides just out of town. I loved the CB but it had that tiny tank and mine was always ready for something to go wrong. Lots of fun and very speedy.

If I could figure out how to post a pic I would, but just look at the bike above, add a ton a scratches, a tank that someone painted with a brush!!, remove all the shiny bits, add a couple oil leaks and put a hole in the seat and you have my old CB.

T