Brake light stays on

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Alexander
Basic User

Brake light stays on

Post by Alexander »

I have a 2004 Rockster non ABS. Last weekend while riding I was told that my brake light was flashing then stayed on. Upon inspection I saw the bulbs small filliment failed. I bought a me bulb and red tape. The next day it was stuck on again and both filiments were on. The plastic housing is warped from the heat if the bulb not seated properly. So now I know it's not the bulb. I tested the rear brake switch and found it to be good. My next task is to test the front brake switch. I can't find it. I looked on fiche and found the switch in ? but it's not shown in place. Can someone help me on this one? I suspect the wiring may be faulty but I want to check the switch before I deconstruct my wiring.
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: Brake light stays on

Post by kirby »

Last edited by kirby on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Alexander
Basic User

Post by Alexander »

Thanks Mike. I hear no click. Now to take it apart
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

Last edited by kirby on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Alexander
Basic User

Post by Alexander »

Not simple for my experiance. I have all seen screws out and can't remove the cover. Mirror is out and tiny screw behind that is out still won't come off. What am I missing?

Edit. I got the bottom cover off. That seems to be all I need as I found one end of the switch. If it clicks it works. I can get it to click manually but only one with brake lever. Adjust lever or reseat switch?
Alexander
Basic User

Post by Alexander »

So I took out the switch and it works without fail. What is failing is the lever pressing the switch. Ack down enough. The lever seems to stop at a certain point. So
tiPirate
Basic User

Post by tiPirate »

Best guess would be a fluid flush, worst case a MC rebuild in your future. How are you with fluid changes?

A lot of times the fluid return won't drain completely when you release the brake lever due to gunk inside the MC.

http://www.largiader.com/tech/r11mc/
Alexander
Basic User

Post by Alexander »

I haven't done any fluids on this bike yet. I bought it a couple weeks ago and the dealer offered an oil change. I just ordered a clymer manual for it. I'm not even sure how to get the filter out. As far as disc brakes I haven't a clue.
The light is now working and I now know the best way to get to it.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Sometimes the little metal lever on the microswitch needs to be re-bent so that it actually releases the plunger in the switch body correctly.

ALSO - do NOT tighten up the screw holding the microswitch in place too tight - you can effectively clamp the plunger in place and it'll stick.

If you're going to try doing any adjustments to the little lever on the microswitch then be VERY careful, and THINK IT ALL THROUGH 5 times before you do anything. the way that switch operates is very confusing. IIRC it's depressed when the lever is OPEN, (ie when the lever is NOT being pulled), and when you pull the lever the switch RELEASES the internal plunger. you need to think this through very carefully before trying to adjust the little metal lever.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life