New to Rockster ownership... Very noisy starter....

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

rocksterstu
Basic User

New to Rockster ownership... Very noisy starter....

Post by rocksterstu »

Hi guys firstly hello to you all as im new to the forum and to bmw ownership!!!

I have just bought a rockster and it has a really nasty sounding starter, the sound that comes from it apparanetly has been happening for the past couple of years but he could not be bothered to take it off and get it looked at.

I am concerned that it may have done the flywheel in with it its not whining from dissengaging this is more a mechanical sound ?

Are the flywheels pretty robust???

The starter realy does sound horrible and soon as the bike fires it runs away like a swiss watch. The bike rides amazingly with no problems.

The only other point is that 1st gear is a little vacant to find im wondering if this is just down the clutch needing a bleed, when riding its selects first aok it just from pulling away at cold you have to "find" it...

Any pointers would be much appreciatted. :D
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: New to Rockster ownership... Very noisy starter....

Post by riceburner »

First & neutral can be a little hard to find on occasion - it can be part of the design of the box, but it might point to some work selectors, without actually trying your bike it's hard to tell.

The starters can screech after a while - but it's a reasonably easy repair - if you do a search I'm sure someone's done a write up somewhere.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

Last edited by kirby on Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

You can try Cyclerob's technique. When it doesn't want to go into first, pull the clutch all the way in for about 1 second and then let it all the way out and pull it again all the way and should be able to click it into first. It has worked for me about 99% of the time.
Welcome the forum...lots of good info here. Consider being a member and keeping the site up and running.
Buckster '03R
rocksterstu
Basic User

Post by rocksterstu »

Thanks for the comments guys im pleased that the 1st gear thing is nothing too drastic to worry about.

As for the starter I have watched a couple of vids on the net and BMW's are not the quietest of bikes on starting!!

Am I still to remove the starter but more confident it would just be that.

Does anyone have a paint code or match for the fork lowers on the rockster??
rocky2ie
Basic User

Post by rocky2ie »

Hi there, I read here '' viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24943 '' that Volvo Deep Blue Metalic is a good match. Just bought a tin but won't have time to try it until next month.
Cheers.
spoon
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by spoon »

Pulling the starter is not that hard of a job. I do it without disconnecting the battery. BUT, you must pay attention to the + lead going to the starter. As soon as it (the + lead from the Bat.) is disconnected cover the end with a piece of rubber hose. I use about 3 inches of 3/4 inch heater hose. Don't let go of the wire until the rubber cover is on it (even for a second) as this wire goes straight to the battery with out passing anything. A big zip tie and two bolts and a plastic connector and its out. If you need to do a quick "stop the squeek" and get back on the road hose the nose piece gear down with carb cleaner then some spray teflon, don't be shy with the teflon. Then back to gether. Remember, on the battery lead - the big wire - the only thing that should touch is the stud on the starter and a rubber hose.
PS if the connectors look corroded this is a good time to clean them up with a little sandpaper. Hope this helps.
carlvs
Basic User

Post by carlvs »

Euro Motor Electric has good prices on complete starters and repair parts.

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/

Good service and quick shipment.
Carl

2011 R1200RT
2010 R1200R Sold
2005 K1200LT Sold
2004 R1150RT-P (project bike, for sale)
garr2
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 781

Post by garr2 »

Try viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21405&hilit=starter+noise for a walk through on cleaning the starter.
60% of the art of conversation is knowing when to say nothing