car brake question

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

zeke
Lifer
Donating Member #: 839

car brake question

Post by zeke »

Figured this belong here since it is a question about my car and not my RR. So I had the tires replaced the other day and the mechanic mentioned that one of the front brakes was hanging up. He stated it could be the caliper or the piston, but he was not sure. He mentioned this as I was about to drive off, and the shop was closing, and it was already dark. I could not just pop off the tire and take a look. Drove home, only a few miles, and checked the brakes after I parked. Sure enough one of the front brakes, passenger side, was significantly hotter than the others. Any recommendations on how to fix this. I can swap out the rotors and pads, but how do I address the caliper or the piston? I ride the RR pretty much daily, but as some point I will need to revert to the cage. Thanks for the insight.
-Zeke
Bigg-Brother
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Re: car brake question

Post by Bigg-Brother »

As much as I know, replacing brake caliper is not hard but you will have to bleed your system after.
What car is it anyways?
BTW - brakes are important - don't ignore your problem!
2008 328xi (manual)
2009 R1200R, black
2010 F800ST, champagne
2013 R1200RT, midnight blue
zeke
Lifer
Donating Member #: 839

Post by zeke »

Popped a couple of search and watched some youtubes. Looks like a fairly straight forward process to rebuild/replace the seals. If I need to replace the whole unit, then it is just pull off and replace exercise.
The car is a 2000 Ford Mustang, 6 cyl. Nothing fancy, but fun to drive, when I have to drive. I plan to stay on two wheels till the winter forces me into the car.
Hopefully I'll get to it this weekend.
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Could also be a bad rubber hose brake line to that caliper. When they get old sometimes the inner hose liner can collapse under pressure and act like a 1-way check valve that won't let the hydraulic fluid pass to release the pressure from the caliper after you take your foot off the pedal. You can check this by pressing the pedal firmly then let off and, as quick as you can, crack the bleeder screw on the top of that caliper --> if you get a nice little spurt that's likely the culprit, and it's easier to replace than a caliper!
Rich
ADIOS!