Won't turn over

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

geffr1
Basic User

Won't turn over

Post by geffr1 »

2000 R1100R, ridden regulary. Recently when I took the battery off the trickle charger, everything electrical seems to work, except will make no effort to turn over. Fuel pump cycles, lights, horn, everything, but when I hit the starter--absolutely nothing. Fuses all OK. Fuel pump cycles when I put the side stand up. Other ideas?
Duc750
Basic User

Re: Won't turn over

Post by Duc750 »

The starter motor magnets are known to fail wich gives those sympotoms. Its opretty easy to pull out and test
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by omg1010 »

Just from letting the bike sit and having it on a trickle charger the magnets of the starter will not get loose. Sound more like an electrical problem. Starter relay gone south? Another option maybe corrosion on the starter button?

Brgds
Oliver
geffr1
Basic User

Post by geffr1 »

Thanks for the input. It seems it was not quite in neutral, if that's possible. I went back through all the steps--kill switch off and and on, side stand up and down, put it in gear and rocked it back into neutral--started. I think it was just to get attention...
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by omg1010 »

If gear in, the bike should start when you pull the clutch lever. If not the microswitch has gone south ...

Brgds
Oliver