fuel mileage?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

photonphil
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

fuel mileage?

Post by photonphil »

I have a very low mileage R1100r and I am only getting about 35 mpg. I don't ride hard at all. Is this about the mileage I can expect? If not ,what are the possible fixes? Thanks in advance for the help.
philbytx
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: fuel mileage?

Post by philbytx »

Ok, I regularly get 40 to 47mpg. 40 when I'm REALLY thrashing it. Around here we have 70/75/80 and 85 mph speed limits :) !!!!
First thing I would do would be to give it a good tune-up. When was the last time your air filter or fuel filter were changed? If you don't know, replace them. At the age of your bike, you may well find that the special 'curved hose' at the fuel pump in the tank has split. Best thing to do is buy the hose with the filter and do and R&R. John at http://www.euromotoelectrics.com has most of everything you need and not at BMW prices. Also, http://www.beemerboneyard.com has hose and fuel filter replacement kits that include the gas tank o rings that you will need.
You can preface doing this with putting a quality injector cleaner in your tank and run it through the fuel system (Techron is easily available) by going for a good ride :) !
Follow the fuel filter/hose r&r with a thorough clean of Throttle plates/bodies, plus the Big Brass Screws & associated holes when the engine has cooled. Follow this with an anal valve adjustment followed by a good throttle body balance. This will then give you your base line. Remember, rubber deteriorates with age and that you do have both internal and external hoses in your EFI system.
Remember, you will need special hoses for INSIDE the tank - submersible fuel hose, spec 30R10, do NOT install external hose inside the tank!!

First off, do you have a Clymers and/or BMW CD manual.
Also, if you aren't handy with a wrench, a dealer will bend you over to do all of the above. Try to find a BMWMOA member or a BMW club in your area to see if they have Tech Days. Most BMW folks I know would be happy to help you for a 6 pack and a sandwich :) !
Phil C.
2003 R1150RT "DaRTh"
2000 R1100R "LeRoy
hookembevo
Basic User

Post by hookembevo »

We've got an 80mph speed limit from my house to work, and traffic usually runs 85 - 90. If I'm commuting on the bike, I'll get just south of 40mpg, but that's with windshield, loaded bags, and moving at a good clip. I weigh about 210. If I'm cruising hill country roads ~60, I'll get mid 40's.
COR1100
Basic User

Post by COR1100 »

My SO rides our '99 R1100R with a Cee Bailey's windshield. We took a trip to Utah last fall and the overall trip average was 48 mpg. This included 35 to 65 mph sport riding and ~85 mph interstate cruising with factory luggage fully loaded down.

The worst I've ever gotten on my R1150RT was 38 and that was fully loaded w/tail trunk fighting a headwind into Wyoming.

If you're getting around 35 mpg something's wrong.
Regards,
Randy
photonphil
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by photonphil »

As soon as it warms up a bit I'm going to check my valves. Hard to do when it's 15 out. brrrrr
Ton1959
Basic User

Post by Ton1959 »

The best that I get is 48,25 mpg. On average it will be closer to 42,1 mph here. I am 182cm tall and I have the BMW windscreen fitted.
I use Vpower from Shell Irium plugs from NGK and synchronise the engine with the carbtune . Standard airfilter fitted.
libertynh
Basic User

Post by libertynh »

Averages in the low fifties to high forties with speeds mostly in the 45-65 range but boy does it drop on high speed runs. I don't think I will ever stop trying to shift up into sixth. No need to downshift for passing though.