Fluid change question?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

photonphil
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Fluid change question?

Post by photonphil »

Today I changed the gear box and final drive oil in my R 1100r with 10,000 miles on it. Both these oils had been changed about 2000 miles ago. The gear box oil was black but clear and the final drive oil was a silver color and kind of cloudy in a metallic sort of way. Is this a indication of bad things to come? This is my first BMW. If the final drive is going to fail I'll sell the bike now before it happens. Thanks for your replies in advance. :D
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Fluid change question?

Post by omg1010 »

photonphil wrote:Today I changed the gear box and final drive oil in my R 1100r with 10,000 miles on it. Both these oils had been changed about 2000 miles ago. The gear box oil was black but clear and the final drive oil was a silver color and kind of cloudy in a metallic sort of way. Is this a indication of bad things to come? This is my first BMW. If the final drive is going to fail I'll sell the bike now before it happens. Thanks for your replies in advance. :D
If its just cloudy with a different color then you would expect it may just be grease from the bearings which has been washed out. I would not worry much about this. If this happens over and over again I would start worrying. On the other hand if you have metal flakes contained in the oil thats a bad sign.

However why sell the bike? If something goes wrong there are plenty of FD available on egay or through the known salvage addresses (like beemerboneyard). That bike has been sold in great number and parts are easily available (and interchangeable from other models).

Brgds
Oliver