R1200 Water Cooled

Ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new 2015 r12r lc. R1200RS info goes in here too!

Moderator: Moderators

Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Re: R1200 Water Cooled

Post by Lost Rider »

I like the new water cooled R1200R.
Last edited by Lost Rider on Wed May 20, 2015 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get Lost!
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

Lost, what do you think of the radiator design/position on the new R12R? I will test drive it in the spring when the weather around here allows. The one I saw seemed lower than it should be.
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

If you look closely at the photo you can see my NineT, which hasn't been washed in while. You can see the road grime from riding in heavy rain, a little mud, lots of sand from Baja last week and yet still the oil cooler is relatively clean. It's slightly lower than the radiator on the 12R so I'd say radiator placement is really a non-issue. When the hexed 12R came out many folks said it would be trashed with it being so low, my 07' is living proof they were completely wrong as I doubt any 12R has seen more dirt roads than mine. :D

What I find interesting is that I've hardly noticed the radiator on the new bike, it just blends in to me, part of the bike and nothing different. When I look at it I see a 1200R with some newly sculpted lines and nothing more. I LOVE the more rounded aspects of the motor instead of the sharp lines on the previous one. New school that looks a lot like airheads. While at the dealer staring at it I was really just thinking about all the cool places this bike will go and hoping it will be as reliable as the 07' for me. Judging by the reports on that motor on the GS's, I have no worries. Just like it was in 07'.

As I've said, I know it's hard to not focus on what's changed when obsessing online looking at this new bike, thinking about trading in (up) ;) , but I highly recommend people just go take one for a spin before proclaiming change is bad and it's not for them. This time next year many folks will have moved over and will be enjoying a new 12R just the same, only better in many ways.
Things like the new turn signal button instead of the dual is something I thought I'd hate on the NineT, the dual buttons JUST MAKES SENSE. OH THE HORROR FOR BMW TO TAKE THIS AWAY TO PLEASE THE STUPID BIKE REVIEWERS!
But like many things, after time, muscle memory kicks in and it's not something I think about anymore.

Same with the forks, shame on BMW to want to be able to get some young blood customers through design...

It's not an issue actually. IMHO of course.

It's just like the 1200R's we already love, only newer and more refined, with some new tech if you want it, ( real cruise control!!) just like the major model upgrade in 07' from the 1150R.

It's a Roadster, and a fine one at that. :mrgreen:
Get Lost!
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Picking it up tomorrow. :D

Until we took it outside into the sun I wasn't fond of the blue and was ready to paint it straight away, certainly the photos on the BMW website do it no justice, but it's grown on me after getting it out from under fluorescent lighting. Nancy feels exactly the same way so life is good. She hated it when looking online at it... now doesn't want to paint it. Blue bike it is.
Plus I wanted that dynamic suspension more than I need to save a few bucks, even if it's gold. ;)

I think I will be in a good position to have a hexhead, camhead and water cooled boxer Roadster in the garage to ride back to back for real ownership comparison.
The hexhead will be getting sold but for many years to come the NineT and the 12Rlc will be ridden on a daily basis.

Which one will get more miles?.... hard to say. So similar, yet different.

Now, since I own one if any of you FF's talk bad about this bike it will mean instant lifetime ban.

:badgrin:

Just kidding, but you'll have to deal with Nancy and you don't want that. LOL
Get Lost!
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Lost Rider wrote:Picking it up tomorrow. :D

Until we took it outside into the sun I wasn't fond of the blue and was ready to paint it straight away, certainly the photos on the BMW website do it no justice, but it's grown on me after getting it out from under fluorescent lighting. Nancy feels exactly the same way so life is good. She hated it when looking online at it... now doesn't want to paint it. Blue bike it is.
Plus I wanted that dynamic suspension more than I need to save a few bucks, even if it's gold. ;)

I think I will be in a good position to have a hexhead, camhead and water cooled boxer Roadster in the garage to ride back to back for real ownership comparison.
The hexhead will be getting sold but for many years to come the NineT and the 12Rlc will be ridden on a daily basis.

Which one will get more miles?.... hard to say. So similar, yet different.

Now, since I own one if any of you FF's talk bad about this bike it will mean instant lifetime ban.

:badgrin:

Just kidding, but you'll have to deal with Nancy and you don't want that. LOL

SWEET!! Congrats Finn. I am jealous for "Nancy's" new ride. ;)
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

Congrats!!
Member #1