Wonderlich Seat

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Snapping Twig
Basic User

Wonderlich Seat

Post by Snapping Twig »

Picked one up today, standard height. Had the standard comfort OEM for 2012 models.

First impressions are that this seat is at least an inch taller than the stock standard unit.

Better profile, rounded sides and a better, more ergonomic profile.

Quality appears good, but the staples underneath holding the cover could be refined a bit IMO.

Pleather/leather combo, not total fine leather. This is dissappointing but not unexpected for a product made by a German manufacturer for a German product that's expected to perform over time in varied conditions. I suppose the art is in the function here.

Foam is firm and doesn't have the pressure points of the OEM seat. 1" additional height gives me more peg room and 2* more lean according to the Ergonomics website. It feels better.

Imagine my surprise when I couldn't get my kickstand down, me not being used to the new dynamics, but I have begun to do a work-around that appears to have promise. No more two feet flat on the ground, it's tippy-toes now. :)

Not displeasing to the eye and the pillion is contoured nicely. I'll report back on any improvement when my daughter rides with me next.

SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Re: Wonderlich Seat

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Interesting. I've looked at those on and off, but have seen some reviews about them not fitting real well. How's the fit on yours?

I'm pretty happy with my stock seat - comfort seat, standard height, I think. I do everything from daily commuting to 500+ mile days with very little discomfort. I also have Saddle Sore 1000 coming up in May, which will be the real test.

That said, I could do with a bit more leg room, but there's no way in hell I'm lowering my pegs. Maybe what I need to do is take a stock pan, have someone like Russell turn it into a solo seat with rack, like the Rockster. Then I can use my stocker for day to day, and the solo/rack for longer rides.

Anyway, looking forward to hearing how this works out for you. Nice looking seat!
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

Thanks!

I had a slight wobble at the left front, but I took an appropriate deep socket with an extension and bent the anchor rod just enough to take the wobble out. Now it's solid as a rock and no compromise getting the seat on or off.

Like you, no way I was going to lower the pegs, but I felt cramped. This addresses that issue.

We'll see over the long term.

Looking at Sargent, Corbin, etc., but going somewhere for a day long rebuild or sending the seat out for a rebuild was not appealing.

I rightly or wrongly figured the Germans would have it dialed in, so I cast my fate to this choice.

Too bad you can't try different seats. I suppose with enough effort you could, but it hits the diminishing return point IMO.

Got a good deal at SFBMW too. I suppose the sight of a grown man compromising himself was too much for them. :) :)

Maybe it was the part about my Mom and the iron lung...
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Nice! The SF BMW folks are good eggs.
Rolando33
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 872

Post by Rolando33 »

I have the Wunderlich seat on my F800R, and I think it's outstanding. At first I thought it was too firm, but after a long full day ride, that very firmness cut down on my fatigue. I love it. If I ever run into problems with my Sargent Seat on my R1200R, I will replace it with the Wunderlich. :smt023
'11 BMW F800R
'08 BMW R1200R
'07 BMW R1200S
'84 BMW R100
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

That's good info!

I was thinking a Sargent would be the best choice based on asking around, but I didn't want to ship off my seat pan to have it redone and be without the bike while it was out.

Interesting you mentioned the firmness. I too picked up on that right away, but it felt 'right' and I'd expect it to work to the positive, like you say for the longer rides.

Good to know you value the Wonderlich as much as a Sargent.
Oaktown
Lifer

Post by Oaktown »

I had the Sargeant modification done and was pleased overall with their work and the ergonomics. However, the stock pan is not very robust where it attaches at the the front near the tank. My original pan had both sides break where the rubber feet are and BMW replaced it under warranty. This new Sargeant-modified seat pan broke in the same way after a couple years, so I looked for a replacement that did not utilize the OEM pan and Wunderlich was the only one I found. It is exactly as described by others and I much prefer it to the other two seats I've had. Highly recommended.
Marty2
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 492

Post by Marty2 »

I have the Wunderlich seat with a dead sheep on it. At 6' 1" it puts me in a comfortable riding position and I can still flat foot the bike. My only complaint is the large gap between the front of the seat and the fuel tank. You would think for the price they could get a better fit.
# 492
2013 Wee Strom
There is a thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
Patch
Lifer
Donating Member #: 975

Post by Patch »

ST,
Could you post a photo of the bottom of the seat pan? I'm wondering if the same "space" is available as I have on my '11 comfort seat. I keep my slime pump secured under the seat in the tie-wrap-thingy and thats worked great.
I'd love another 1" of height and have been looking at this for a while.
Thanks,
Gerry
2011 R1200 R
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Oaktown wrote:I had the Sargeant modification done and was pleased overall with their work and the ergonomics. However, the stock pan is not very robust where it attaches at the the front near the tank. My original pan had both sides break where the rubber feet are and BMW replaced it under warranty. This new Sargeant-modified seat pan broke in the same way after a couple years, so I looked for a replacement that did not utilize the OEM pan and Wunderlich was the only one I found. It is exactly as described by others and I much prefer it to the other two seats I've had. Highly recommended.
I've also had the cracking on my Sargent modified stock seat.. but I chose to repair it rather than replace. I made up two U shaped aluminum bits that go over the crack and wrap around the sides of the plastic. They are epoxied (JB Weld) and pop-riveted in place. I predict they will never wear out.

Only downside - it's possible to scratch the paint on the top of the two trim panels below the seat if not careful on replacing it. Luckily - the scratches don't show when the seat is on. I've avoided getting more scratches by using some automotive door-edge guard on the lip of the two panels.. which prevents the aluminum from reaching the paint.

One bodge leads to another..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Nice report! If I am not mistaken Wunderlich is not the producer but gets them made in their name. Best available seats in my opinion are still the ones made by kahedo (http://www.kahedo.com/en/motorcycle-seats/bmw.html).

Brgds
Oliver
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

omg1010 wrote:Nice report! If I am not mistaken Wunderlich is not the producer but gets them made in their name. Best available seats in my opinion are still the ones made by kahedo (http://www.kahedo.com/en/motorcycle-seats/bmw.html).

Brgds
Oliver
Oliver,

Unfortunately - for those of us not in Europe: "Due to problems with the delivery and customs clearance we will only ship within Europe. Thank you for your understanding!"

That and the 500 euro price put it a bit out of reach for me. Nice looking seat though..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

I have low seat on mine,scynce my inseam is less than 30".I test drove the medium sit,hardly reaching the ground with my toes.Consydering the comfort,for my body low seat is a lot more confortable.I have no disconfort after few hondred mls of driving.