The visible bike

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Steve in VT
Basic User

The visible bike

Post by Steve in VT »

I've been adding reflective tape (the black stuff) to various places on my R1200R, and then I realized the hi-viz belt I bought from Areostich just fits around my tailbag. I think it's actually better there than around my waist. Last week I rode the bike to a party and was a little worried, parked next to the road, someone might not see the bike in the dark. I left the belt in blink mode, and it made a perfect mooring light.http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8261/8667 ... 339f_z.jpg
Peugeot PX-10, '07 R1200R, Canon 780is.
No, kid, I won't do a wheelie. I'd fall on my ass.
Newportcycle
Basic User

Re: The visible bike

Post by Newportcycle »

Good thinking!! Very sound solution. I like the reflective stickers on the bags as well.

Steve in VT wrote:I've been adding reflective tape (the black stuff) to various places on my R1200R, and then I realized the hi-viz belt I bought from Areostich just fits around my tailbag. http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8261/8667 ... 339f_z.jpg
citrusbbee
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 553

Post by citrusbbee »

Great idea, looks good, too! What brand is your tailbag?
Citrusbbee
Member #553
'04 Rockster Ed80 (#967)
'15 R1200RT
Steve in VT
Basic User

Post by Steve in VT »

What brand is your tailbag?
It's a Rapid Transit, but it's old, so you probably won't find it for sale. Maybe a newer version. It started life as a magnetic tank bag on my 84 R65LS. Stayed put, and held just enough stuff. It expands about 100%. Then I got the 1200, and it only-kinda-sorta worked on the weird tank. And then at 100+ on the Trans-Canada, it jumped off. Broke a nice jar of Nova Scotia plum jam. Busted the magnets all to hell.
So to make a long story longer, I cut off the magnet flaps, strapped it to my tail rack with a short bungee and an REI velcro pack strap. Only issue - it's not waterproof. Not even water resistant. But it does have a waterproof cover.
Peugeot PX-10, '07 R1200R, Canon 780is.
No, kid, I won't do a wheelie. I'd fall on my ass.