After 13 days shy of 3 years I rode my R again

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

After 13 days shy of 3 years I rode my R again

Post by towerworker »

I guess the title says it all. I finally rode my R.

Last weekend (May 4th) the church I attend sponsored a "Biker Weekend". I have been involved there primarily in a men's group and have been for several years. It was their prayers among those of family and many, many others that kept me on this side of Heaven (not that I don't want to go there but maybe not yet). I knew I couldn't participate in their ride but I wanted to at least be a part of the bike show) A close friend (who actually was my mentor in the tower business 20+ yrs ago) rode my bike over there earlier in the week and left it there for me. The Pastor rides a Harley and actually pulls it inside the door when it rains and they parked mine inside till saturday morning. There were I think 40+ bikes there and here is a link to the event http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=53e ... a7f25e5bfc

There were two Beemers in the mix, my Dark Ferro R (with the red plug covers) and an RT.

Long story short when it became time to get the machine back home (with the help of the same friend) I decided to give it a try. Rode about 12 or so miles home with no issues other than learning to upshift with my heal since I still don't have good muscle strength in that part of my feet. It sure felt good. Felt like I had just rode it the day before. Which turned out to be almost 3 yrs ago. God is good even when I'm not.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Re: After 13 days shy of 3 years I rode my R again

Post by angellr »

towerworker wrote:I guess the title says it all. I finally rode my R.

Last weekend (May 4th) the church I attend sponsored a "Biker Weekend". I have been involved there primarily in a men's group and have been for several years. It was their prayers among those of family and many, many others that kept me on this side of Heaven (not that I don't want to go there but maybe not yet). I knew I couldn't participate in their ride but I wanted to at least be a part of the bike show) A close friend (who actually was my mentor in the tower business 20+ yrs ago) rode my bike over there earlier in the week and left it there for me. The Pastor rides a Harley and actually pulls it inside the door when it rains and they parked mine inside till saturday morning. There were I think 40+ bikes there and here is a link to the event http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=53e ... a7f25e5bfc

There were two Beemers in the mix, my Dark Ferro R (with the red plug covers) and an RT.

Long story short when it became time to get the machine back home (with the help of the same friend) I decided to give it a try. Rode about 12 or so miles home with no issues other than learning to upshift with my heal since I still don't have good muscle strength in that part of my feet. It sure felt good. Felt like I had just rode it the day before. Which turned out to be almost 3 yrs ago. God is good even when I'm not.
Wayne,

WONDERFUL!! Truly a miracle. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by wncbmw »

Wayne - Congrats on the ride! =D> Glad you were able to get back on it.

Did you ever get that heel shifter you were taking about fabricated?
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
Willfreely
Basic User

Post by Willfreely »

Best to you and congratulations on your ride. I assume you checked the anti-freeze first?
Virginia Beach, Va
2004 R1150R
(past rides)
1983 R80
1981 R100RT
1982 R80
pebmr
Basic User
Donating Member #: 655

Post by pebmr »

Way to go =D>
2004 R1150RA
Piedmont Red
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Wayne, you just made my day! Congratulations, and glad you're part of our group here.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

When you sent me that picture of you hanging out by that thin strap 70 feet up that spindly triangular section tower, I was really surprised at the speed of your recovery. That tower climb as an accomplishment really overpowers you riding your bike. Still, you should not let enthusiasm overpower common sense, so you don't go back into the hospital!! #-o :cry: :shock:
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

My friend with the same ailment is also back to maintaining and driving his vintage Austin.
Great to be able to get back to doing something you like.
Glad your church supported and sustained you so well.
Keep the rubber side down.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

That's great news, Wayne! =D> Please take baby steps...and we all hope for your 100% recovery!
Buckster '03R
Ol' Jeffers

Post by Ol' Jeffers »

Good to hear Wayne! As was said above: Don't try to do too much at once...gently gently! =D>
Obviously no problems with anti-freeze leaking either!! ;)
OJ........everybody's pal!!
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

Were you injured? I must have missed the part about why you hadn't ridden in a while...regardless, glad your back.

BTW my "R" is an 04 Ferro/Met...with red plug covers as well. I got the idea from a photo...might have been a photo of your bike.
I recently made a set of oil cooler grills, and painted them red as well...it looks kinds cool too!....{IMO} :D
hank
Basic User

Post by hank »

Great to hear you are back out on the bike, best news I've heard his year. Just hope you remembered to drain the antifreeze and refill with summer coolant.
I'm a rollin stone all alone and lost...............
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

ron prior wrote:Were you injured? I must have missed the part about why you hadn't ridden in a while...regardless, glad your back.

BTW my "R" is an 04 Ferro/Met...with red plug covers as well. I got the idea from a photo...might have been a photo of your bike.
I recently made a set of oil cooler grills, and painted them red as well...it looks kinds cool too!....{IMO} :D
Ron I'd like to see those grills. I might have to ask your permission to copy. To answer your question--I wasn't injured although that probably would have been easier to recover from. I was hit with a rare auto-immune illness called Guillian-Barre Syndrome in May, 2010. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/gbs/gbs.htm

Was paralyzed neck down for 4+months. Spent the next 10+ months in hospitals and rehab facilities. Had to learn to walk, talk and chew gum all over again. :)
Been a long road to this point. Getting back into the saddle will be slow, but I made the first ride. To answer Van's question--I used the stock shifter--had to upshift with my heel over the shifter pedal. Took a few tries but I finally got it.

One of the doctors did tell me that when I was in a semiconscious/coma state way back in 2010, that I kept on saying something about "changing the boxer's antifreeze". They thought maybe I had a Porsche at home or maybe I was a heavyweight amateur boxer with plans for my next opponent. I straightened them out later.
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
duckdave
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 580

Post by duckdave »

Wow! +1, +1, +1!!!
Glad ur back in the saddle, Towerworker.

-dd
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580
Frank1150r
Basic User

Post by Frank1150r »

Glad to see that your riding again,
Be safe,
Frank
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

towerworker wrote:
ron prior wrote:Were you injured? I must have missed the part about why you hadn't ridden in a while...regardless, glad your back.

Ron I'd like to see those grills. I might have to ask your permission to copy. To answer your question--I wasn't injured although that probably would have been easier to recover from. I was hit with a rare auto-immune illness called Guillian-Barre Syndrome in May, 2010. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/gbs/gbs.htm

Was paralyzed neck down for 4+months. Spent the next 10+ months in hospitals and rehab facilities. Had to learn to walk, talk and chew gum all over again. :)
Been a long road to this point. Getting back into the saddle will be slow, but I made the first ride. To answer Van's question--I used the stock shifter--had to upshift with my heel over the shifter pedal. Took a few tries but I finally got it.

One of the doctors did tell me that when I was in a semiconscious/coma state way back in 2010, that I kept on saying something about "changing the boxer's antifreeze". They thought maybe I had a Porsche at home or maybe I was a heavyweight amateur boxer with plans for my next opponent. I straightened them out later.

WOW!! never heard of that...sure glad you're getting over it? and getting back too life... =D>

I am going to join a photo host site, when I get that figured out I'll post a pic or two of my "R" & the grills....but heck yeah..since I may have stolen your plug cover idea. :oops: ..fell free to do the grills. I just found a screen design I liked and made them from that. Wunderlich & others just ask a ridiculous price....

Keep healing!!!..and ride safe....Ron
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

REALLY good to hear it Wayne! I'm really glad that you took control of your life after that illness and got back on, many wouldn't (and would be lesser for it).

Hope you can get out again soon! (heel shifter shouldn't be hard to sort out. ;) )
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

THIS IS AWESOME, and deserves a sticky!

We have our own home grown "Miracle Man"!!!!

http://www.themiracleman.org/index2.htm
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
Arbreacames
Basic User

Post by Arbreacames »

That' s cool, Wayne! Keep going, but with care.
It can't be too hard to make a special shifter adaptation. Have you looked into it any more?

Carlos
Carlos D.
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Hi Carlos--so good to hear from you and was really neat to see you last year. I haven't looked further at this point on a shifter mod but I may put it back to the top of the list. Shifting up with my heel wasn't all that difficult after a few miles but it would indeed be easier with a heel-toe shift. We'll see.

Guys I really appreciate all the good wishes and encouragement these past 3 years. It was 3 years ago today I went ill with GBS. Looking forward to the next 3 years!!

Wayne
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint