This One Is A Little Too Close To Home

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Gord
Lifer

This One Is A Little Too Close To Home

Post by Gord »

One of my co-workers at IBM here in Toronto died this weekend in a motorcycle accident while on vacation in the US. I had worked with him on a couple of projects since 1991 and although I did not know him well, we always took time to commiserate every time we saw each other.

A sad story indeed that reminds me yet again of the risks I take everytime I swing a leg over. But I will keep on riding. Probably for the same reasons Pieter was riding at the time he was killed.

Here is the news story of this most unfortunate incident.
----------------------------------

Motorcyclist dies in Talleyville crash
The News Journal, DE - A Canadian motorcyclist was killed in the
Talleyville area Friday afternoon, after he sustained injuries during a
crash with another vehicle.

Pieter Boom, 52, of Aurora, Ontario, was traveling east on Beaver Valley
Road just after 4 p.m. on a 2002 Suzuki motorcycle, police said.
He was cut off by a vehicle making a left turn onto Ramsey Road. Police
said Dustin Duchene, 19, of Bear, was traveling west on Beaver Valley Road and made a turn, directly into Boom's path. To avoid a bigger collision, Boom laid the motorcycle on its side and slid under Duchene's 2003 Chevy Trailblazer. Boom was flown to Christiana Hospital in a state police helicopter with two broken arms and was later found to have internal injuries. Police said Boom, who was visiting relatives in the area, died at the hospital from his injuries.

The motorcyclist was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident. State
police are investigating the death and Duchene has not been charged.
Gord

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. - No. 6
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

I'm very sorry to hear that.

D
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187

sad.. but no charges?

Post by Guest »

That is a sad story and it'll be difficult on his family and friends.

Just last week, only 4 blocks from my home a 62 year old experienced motorcycle rider was on his way to work at 7:30am when a car turned left into his lane and he was killed. According to the paper, he was not wearing a helmet and the driver has not been charged.

NOT BEEN CHARGED? WTF is that? According to your story too, the driver has not been charged. What does this mean? Not even a ticket is issued? Without a ticket being issued against the driver (at least for failing to yield the right-of-way to another vehicle), I think it becomes more difficult for the surviving family to obtain the financial compensation that they deserve from the driver's insurance company (assuming there is one), right?

Your friend was wearing a helmet and died anyway. I'm taking that as a reminder that although wearing my helmet is the right thing for me, because I choose to, it does not guarantee accident survival. I read something like 30 percent of motorcycle wrecks with a fatality involve a helmet-wearing rider. That's higher that I would have guessed.

I think public education of car drivers as to being alert for motorcycle riders is terribly lacking in this country and perhaps in Canada and elsewhere too.
Lance1150
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

head injury

Post by Lance1150 »

Of course head injury is one of the main things we think of when we think of falling off a motorcycle, but our little bodies are very FRAGILE... it doesn't take much trauma to break em up beyond repair.

A simple fall from 12 feet is Trauma Center Criteria in many places, and the forces involved in most crashes are MUCH more severe.
03' Black Roadster
Southern California
Ed K
Lifer

Post by Ed K »

Gord...very sorry to hear about your co-worker...
Ed K
07 K1200S
Lifetime Member
rph802
Lifer

Awful...

Post by rph802 »

That is awful...

A fellow rider from work that I'm just getting to know was involved in a crash a couple weeks ago. He took a little detour off the main road on the way to work. The detour was frshly paved and it was dewy that morning. He goes around a bend and the rear wheel starts to slide out and he almost lowsides it then. Unfortunately, he managed to bring it back upright but in doing so, the bike just went over the side and slammed him into the pavement. No other vehicles or debris on the road, just fresh (ie oily) asphalt and morning dew making for unexpectedly slippery conditions. He ended up blacking out, has a minor concussion, broken clavicle and scapula, and 5 broken ribs.

Needless to say his riding season is over but he was wearing his helmet (despite not be legally required to in New Hampshire!!) thankfully or he would probably be dead right. In talking to him in the hospital, he said that if he had just laid it down initially, he would have walked away with a lot less injury. It was instinct/pride in trying to recover in his opinion that made it worse than it had to be.

Ride safe!!

Craig
xaque
Lifer

"Not being Charged"

Post by xaque »

I'm very sorry about your friend... I read/hear stories like this all to often.

About the driver of the vehicle not being “charged.” Usually when a statement like this is made it is in reference to a criminal act such as “manslaughter” or “assault and battery” etc. When I read the sentence in the article I took it to mean that the driver was not being charged with murder.

On the other hand it is very likely that the driver was “cited” for the accident in regards to motor vehicle law. (“Failure to use caution in starting, stopping, or turning,” “unsafe operation of a motor vehicle,” “failure to yield”)

I’m not sure of the facts of the case, but it is possible that after an investigation the police may decided that the cage driver was negligent in his actions which lead to the death of another human being… (read: guilty of murder, whether it be manslaughter, murder 2, etc).

Although it is nice to seek compensation (or retribution depending on how you look at it) we mustn’t loose sight that this person has lost their life tragically. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

-Xaque-
"If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back, you probably high-sided."
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Sorry Gord.....I'd say the the most injurious accident for the riders are those pulling to turn left, because they just do a cursority glance and then go........

This crap about not issuing citations in this instances is possitively outrageous, the cops should be de-balled....... :evil:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
challey
Lifer
Donating Member #: 365

Post by challey »

Gord --
Very sorry to hear about your friend. I live in PA, not very far from the Talleyville area where the accident occured. This area (the Philadelphia to Wilmington corridor) seems to have some the worst drivers I've ever encountered - and I've lived in several parts of the US and the UK and have travelled extensively. Virtually no one around here uses turn signals, stops at stop signs, obeys the yellow caution (ie, stops), etc. Virtually everyone drives in the left lane, talks on a mobile phone and speeds excessively in residential areas, etc. I'm a volunteer firefighter and EMT and you would not believe the numbers of motorists that completly ignore that ambulance or fire truck with all the lights and sirens. trying to get past.
It's actually amazing to me that more folks aren't killed and explains why our insurance rates are sky high.
"Ride safe" seems to get more difficult every day.
beekstersocal
Lifer

Post by beekstersocal »

big time sorry man. that stuff hits close when i read about it ,i even saw a bad accident [with alot of road rash] thats why we wear gear .but i feel ya everytime i swing aleg over i think about it... my rule of thumb is to not get to complacent ,,, keep the rubber side down 8)
ride it like you stole it
Gord
Lifer

Post by Gord »

Just an update on this story. I received an e-mail from Pieter's daughter Elizabeth. She had searched the web and came across this thread. I am sure she would not object to me sharing her e-mail with the rest of us. I think she makes a critical point. As riders with most at risk on the road, we need to ensure that our governments do the utmost to ensure that those who share the road with us have the proper skills to operate.

--------------

Hi,

I happend across the web site when searching for the article on my dad's death. I just wanted to say I am glad you will continue riding. I know my brother and I will even knowing the risks. I just wanted to clear up that the driver will have consequences and that I am thinking, as a motorcycle rider myself, of writing the Ministry of Transportation about the lack of instruction to car drivers about how to drive with motorcycles on the road even in Canada.

I wish you God's presence and safety as you ride.

Elizabeth Boom

---------------

I venture that we motorcyclists are the most highly trained individuals on the road. But the problem is not us. It is the lower standards demanded from automobile drivers. Our motorcycle clubs should really be raising caine to improve the level of training for automobile licences.
Gord

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. - No. 6
tor1150r
Basic User

Post by tor1150r »

Hey Gord,
Very sorry to hear about this tragedy. Yes....a co-worker fatality is rather close to home. I have read of a number of motorcycle related accidents lately. Some fatal, some not. Either way it is hard to digest bad news in our community. Each time I hear of an incident I, too, think about the next time I swing a leg over. Infact, my wife and I are going for a ride today.

We will continue to ride and enjoy this wonderful & fulfilling activity/sport.
I agree with Elizabeth Boon's claim that we, as motorcycle riders, are amongst the best trained users of the road both on 2 wheels and 4.

I get terribly frustrated when I see cagers talking on the phone (why does their neck freeze while talking on a cell???? It never seems to move when engaged in conversation!). Ditto for those who insist on checking their Blackberry email, fumbling for CD's/MP3's or futzing with an in-dash GPS - - all while rolling down the road. Oh, and don't forget about the scalding hot coffee in their left hand!!

It's incredible! Perhaps it makes us 2 wheelers all the much wiser.

My condolences to you for the loss of a friend and also to the Boon family.

Ride safe everyone
07 R12GS - Granite
04 R1150R - Black (sold)
Member #468
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

Man! Another left hander accident. So sorry to hear of this Gord. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and relatives. This makes me sad and pissed at the same time.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
TonyT607
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 156

Hate to lose someone in the IBM Family like this

Post by TonyT607 »

Gord, so sorry to hear about your buddy (and our fellow IBM'er). I'll say a prayer for him and his family as I set out on my Sunday ride tomorrow.
Tony
Lifetime #156
2013 K1600GT
scottybooj
Lifer

Post by scottybooj »

sorry gord. :cry:
Scott
Black '50R
Long Island, NY
double-secret probationary lifetime member #311
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

Yes, too many of this type of accident for sure.

I was witness to an "almost" accident just this afternoon on our way home from our ride. My wife and I were riding two-up coming back into downtown Atlanta from the south on I-75. This is Saturday, mind you, no bumper to bumper stuff, but really thick traffic...and moving along at a brisk 70-75 miles an hour on 7 lanes with an HOV lane to the far left.

In Atlanta the interstate speed limit is 55, but no one goes 55.

Well, I noticed off to my right two Atlanta motor policemen entering the freeway from a merge lane on identical Road Kings. You would think people would slow down. Nope! Not a bit. These two motor cops seemed to be moving along fairly close to each other abreast in one lane, gesturing and nodding to each other as they zoomed along. They moved on over and passed me on the right then came over into my lane in front of me, waving as they passed. They must have been about 150 yards in front of me riding in a woman's blind spot as she starts a lane change right into the cop on the right. He noticed at the last minute and made an evasive maneuver as the car driver did the same. The two cops just kept on going. They were no more than inches from a major sideswipe right in front of me and a hundred other drivers doing 65-70 mph. I am so glad it didn't happen, but it was close.