Name For New Dog

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

12bar1
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Name For New Dog

Post by 12bar1 »

Last April I had to put my 14 year old Dalmatian to sleep. It was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do :cry: . I swore I would never have another Dalmatian they are hyper, dig huge holes, shed like there is no tomorrow and are generally a pain in the back side but are one of the most playful loving animals you could have. So tonight I am going to pick up my new puppy :D (my Great Dane is going to be upset about this). Yes, it is another Dalmatian and I am asking for suggestions for her name. I would like to come up with something R1150R or BMW related. Any and all suggestions will be considered (except "spot"). So lets here it what shall I call her.
garylspolar
Lifer

Post by garylspolar »

Sorry for your loss. I envy you, however, as my wife and I only got 4 years out of our Rottweiler before we had to put him down. He had a tumor on his skull. We had one heck of a sendoff the night before, with a trip to the beach, filet mignon, etc. I get teary just thinking about him. Bacchus (god of wine and fertility) was his name. Feel free to use it, if you wish.

BMW dog names

1. R1150Rover
2. Serg

That's all I got right now.
Absence of evidence is evidence of absence.
beekstersocal
Lifer

Post by beekstersocal »

SERVO or BEAKSTER SHAFT BOXER TWINSPARK REMUS :?
ride it like you stole it
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

What's wrong with "Spot"?
gelbe Kulter
Lifer

Post by gelbe Kulter »

Were it a male dog I'd suggest "Scooter." It just seems more boyish.

For a female I like Diva.

Overused - Domino, Dottie, Freckles
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Honest to God, I know an eccentric bazillionaire in Amarillo, TX who has a pet Zebra named..."Spot".
Maybe "Stripes" for the new Dalmation?
Dave

I've spent most of my life on motorcycles, the rest I've just wasted...
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

I remembered another friend who got a female Dalmation and named it "Lieka" sp?, or something like that, after the first dog in space...a Russian Dalmation.
Dave

Gord
Lifer

Post by Gord »

Well rather than "Spot", you could name your dog after another animal with spots. Leopard? That would really confuse folks - naming your dog after a cat!
Gord

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. - No. 6
JCsman
Lifer

Dog name

Post by JCsman »

How about "Boxer".

Think how many people would think you were seriously confused about dog breeds.
12bar1
Lifer

New member of the family

Post by 12bar1 »

Well we got the little bundle of fur home and the Great Dane loves her. We decided to call her Youma as in You Ma Dawg :lol: it just sort of fits. Well I guess sleeping all night is gone for a few months watch for late night posts that make no sense :lol:
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

mmm,

so much for my (late) suggestion of "Bowser".....
Member #31
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

Congrats on the new canine.

NO GO on the name Boxer. See pic at left! :D

I wanted to name our Boxer Portia (as in Porsche) because of my fondness for those cars. They also have the boxer engine. The kids did not go for that, so she is named Carly.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Simon?
Dave

rdsmith3
Lifer

Post by rdsmith3 »

Dave,

I doubt my kids even know who Carly Simon is. I have no idea where the name came from, but it's fine with me. She is my dog, no matter what the name.

I was unemployed the first six months we had her, so we bonded. She was great with house training, even though it was winter.

I never had a Boxer before. They are really great dogs. She is big and muscular, with a deep bark, which is great for discouraging unwanted visitors. Yet she will roll onto her back for just about anyone who comes into our house. You can pull her food bowl away in the middle of eating, and she will just give you the sad doggie look. The kids do all sorts of things to her, and she is very gentle with them. She won't even bark at our cat, who hisses at her.

If only she didn't drool so much.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
BobFV1
Basic User

Post by BobFV1 »

darthrider wrote:I remembered another friend who got a female Dalmation and named it "Lieka" sp?, or something like that, after the first dog in space...a Russian Dalmation.
Sorry, your Darthness - Laika was a Siberian Husky and the name "Laika" in Russian actually is the name of the breed. The most common name for a dog in the Former Soviet Union (this is anecdotal but based on personal observation) was probably "Dzhek" - which is a Russian phonetic pronounciation of "Jack".

All that aside, Laika would be a fine tribute name - after all, the original Laika was burned alive on reentry of the Russian space vehicle. As they say in Russian, "Bednyy Laika!", which means "poor Laika!"

Oh - all please note - this is the first and only day that Bob knew something that Darth didn't - but it was not about motorcycles - that day will probably never come....
Bob
2006 R1200GS ADV "Five Charlie"
rph802
Lifer

Cool dogs!!

Post by rph802 »

rdsmith3 wrote:Dave,

I doubt my kids even know who Carly Simon is. I have no idea where the name came from, but it's fine with me. She is my dog, no matter what the name.

I was unemployed the first six months we had her, so we bonded. She was great with house training, even though it was winter.

I never had a Boxer before. They are really great dogs. She is big and muscular, with a deep bark, which is great for discouraging unwanted visitors. Yet she will roll onto her back for just about anyone who comes into our house. You can pull her food bowl away in the middle of eating, and she will just give you the sad doggie look. The kids do all sorts of things to her, and she is very gentle with them. She won't even bark at our cat, who hisses at her.

If only she didn't drool so much.
Gotta think my next dog will be a boxer!! I have two chocolate labs right now and love them to death. The male however is only two and very much still a puppy!! And at 70ish lbs!! Like your boxer he is very loud and mouthy and certainly would give a trespasser pause, tho like yours, all he wants to do is jump up and down and get some attention!!! He doesnt quite get that he's a bit large to be a lap dog but he keeps trying..

A former associate of mine shows boxers and Boston terriers. She got a boxer pup about a year ago now. It was an ongoing joke with her that the first thing I would ask her when she came to work in the morning was So what did Luke eat yesterday??. This dog was like a 6 month old baby. everything goes right in his mouth. Some of the more exotic things I can recall include flypaper and a BRANCH (yeah the whole thing) off a pine tree!!! But like you said, just the sweetest disposition in the world. All he ever wants is a tummy rub and something to chew on!!!

Craig
darthrider
Basic User

Post by darthrider »

Well damn! First I get hosed on that Big Giant Mars scam, now I get shown up as a dumbass for screwing up the breed of the first Russian dog in space.
At least a Dalmation and a Siberian Husky look alike.

Don't they...?
Dave

JCsman
Lifer

Boxers

Post by JCsman »

Ditto on the boxer breed. We get ours from the Humane Society so pure breds are out. But we once had a boxer/Doberman mix. She was the strongest, smartest, most loving dog I've ever experienced. Looked like a boxer with a slightly longer muzzle (and limited droolling!).

We miss her every day.
Last edited by JCsman on Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paper
Lifer

Post by Paper »

Edited, and moved on...
Last edited by Paper on Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rdsmith3
Lifer

Post by rdsmith3 »

Craig

Last night at my son's football practice I saw someone with a boxer/black lab mix puppy. It was cute, but then virtually all puppies are. I would expect that to be a very friendly dog.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74