woo-hoo

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

peels
Basic User

woo-hoo

Post by peels »

Finally a BMW owner!

got a few good rides in now. I LOVE THIS THING! 2002 1150r. I wanted one in 2002, but then kids came, work happened...etc etc... it is every bit the bike I figured it would be, and more. :D

Just wanted to give a little shout out here for the resources. Already fixed the clock, learned a better shift procedure, and had the look in at the clutch to check for early failure...it has 13,500 on it.

so thanks to all you fine folks! if anyone has links to good "knowledge based threads" that would be sweet.
Like "what to do to make it last forever" kinda stuff. I like maintaining my toys. Nothing worse than a toy you cant play with!

it does have a couple funny "german quirks" ill call them.

-took a minute adjusting to turn signals...as the horn is now where my last bike's turn signals were... LOL "HOOOOONK"
-if you clutch it at speed, it is so quiet and smooth, it sounds like it dies LOL. took my 6 year old for a ride around the block, went to down shift
to turn "daddy why did your motorcycle die?" :)
-the abs and servo whine...i'm used to it now.

Cheers and happy riding folks!

-Eric
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
peels
Basic User

Re: woo-hoo

Post by peels »

Oh, also...the slight "surge" at steady low rpm. Meh, I just downshift. I suppose it could be fixed with remapping and timing tweaks...but it runs so good already.
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

peels wrote:Oh, also...the slight "surge" at steady low rpm. Meh, I just downshift. I suppose it could be fixed with remapping and timing tweaks...but it runs so good already.

Ya might try just a simple throttle-body balance , to remove the surge.

BTW I have traveled some through Iowa,..and the parts that I have? I thought were nice.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Iowa isn't too bad....I like it here. simple living.

I am mostly born & raised in California...you'd think I would dislike it, but i prefer raising my kids here. Even though there is ALOT of closed-mindedness.

And..It's not "flat" like everyone thinks either. You want flat and boring? Drive south through midwestern Kansas....ugh.

throttle body sync, I believe is a scheduled maintenance(mechanic gave me a list) Next is coming up shortly. might help....
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

I had a flat once in Pacific Junction Iowa. On a Sat afternoon. A guy towed me off the interstate free, the motel gave me two nights for the price of one.."since your not exactly enjoying this stop" The tow truck driver on Mon, must have told me 10 times how bad he felt for me, and sorry it happened. The dealer dropped what they were doing to make the repair and get me under way. R&R, dismount tire, replace valve stem , remount...out the door $30....some of the most helpful friendly people I have ever met! Almost glad I had the flat, due to the positive experience !!
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

ron prior wrote:I had a flat once in Pacific Junction Iowa. On a Sat afternoon. A guy towed me off the interstate free, the motel gave me two nights for the price of one.."since your not exactly enjoying this stop" The tow truck driver on Mon, must have told me 10 times how bad he felt for me, and sorry it happened. The dealer dropped what they were doing to make the repair and get me under way. R&R, dismount tire, replace valve stem , remount...out the door $30....some of the most helpful friendly people I have ever met! Almost glad I had the flat, due to the positive experience !!

NICE!

Glad to hear this still happens! Doesn't cost anything to be nice.... Just this weekend, we were out boating, the guy pulling in next to me on the ramp was having trouble getting his motor to turn over. Got his wife and 4 kids in the boat...theyre amped and ready, I can see the look of defeat on him, and he says "well looks like its not our day kids" Broke my heart... I took my jump box over to him, and helped him get it going. He had put a new fuel filter in, and had air in his fuel line, just needed it to turn long enough to purge it, then let the battery charge....saw them later in the day tubing, having a good time.

LIke I said, doesn't cost to be nice.....
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

ditto on being nice, I do it for selfish reasons makes me feel good :D my grandma always said "a little kindness goes a long ways" Have noticed over the years that bikers and campers will go out of their way to help.
Mike
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

got sentimental today. Had the R for 7 yrs last week... decided to revisit my old threads here. this being one of my first.

thanks to everyone here for the help over the years. specifically with the ABS removal and the slave cylinder croaking.

notes:

I sorta stopped worrying about it and just riding more...been a great bike. only had one issue since the slave. I thought my HES was going... it would lose fire briefly at high speed. I noticed it would do it at slow speed turning right as well, like backing out a of a parking spot-just a worn wire for kill switch :) still never been stranded.

Gear oil leak is still present. stinks and smokes. I replaced all the seals. really not sure where it comes from. almost dont care anymore lol maybe a nick in the neutral switch. Theres a thread here about it....

Wife often tries to convince me to get a new bmw. I get excited, then immediately sad to think about the R going away. Ill keep it forever. PAss on to the kids....speaking of kids....

My boys are now 13 and 17. 13yo just got his moped cert. (hes obsessed with riding with me) and 17yo just completed his MSF course. gets his license Friday!!!! We spent the last 4 months rebuilding a 1978 kz200 for his first bike! He wasnt as much into bikes until we tore into the KZ. he seems to be really engaged now. As a friend told me.... "teach them to love motorcycles, they wont have time or money for booze and drugs" LOL!!!! Seriously looking into the BMW 310 bike for him next.....

With soccer coaching -two teams- and becoming an avid boating family, haven't had too much time for long rides the last couple years. not a complaint, life is good but.... I am overdue. As soon as my son looks to be comfortable on bikes. were taking one. Dont care where. :)

hope all of you are doing ok...and healthy...you know?

ride safe. and thanks again.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Fantastic stuff!

My parents both rode when i was growing up and biking is a great way to engage with the family!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Hyja1
Lifer

Post by Hyja1 »

Peels, thanks for sharing and being a good person. I can relate to your thoughts since I also have an 02 R. and have been a boater for 30 plus years. I’ve thought about replacing my R, but it still runs sweet and, thanks to the good folks on this site, I can do all my own maintenance with confidence that I didn’t have when I bought the bike new.

I think I’ll keep my bike. It’s turning into a classic and she still looks and runs great. Take care and enjoy your family.
Holland Ja, San Francisco
‘02 R1150R black
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

yeah im still just under 50k. i told her i want 100k out of it. lol

:)
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

I'm convinced I will have my '02 R until the day I die. Like you, I don't fuss over it as much anymore and with 60K, it still runs great!
Rich
ADIOS!