Idehtifying ABS Brakes

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

todehnal
Basic User

Idehtifying ABS Brakes

Post by todehnal »

Okay, you guys were spot on when you guided me to the fast idle lever on my newly purchased R1150R. Now I would like to know if I have ABS brakes, or not. Is there any easy way to identify that for a novice? Remember who you are talking to hear. I'm the guy that didn't know that there was a fast idle lever. Not having an owners manual does have it's drawbacks.

Thanks in advance.............Tom
2004 R1150R
omg1010
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Idehtifying ABS Brakes

Post by omg1010 »

You have ABS if and when your bike has a metal ring with plenty of little holes inside the front left brake disc and inside the rear brake disc. Also there should be a sensor reading that ring (its a black little plastic knob). Suggest you also give it a try. Find yourself a little side-street with plenty of sand. Hit the rear brake at slow speed and see what happens. If your rear wheel blocks you don't have ABS (or a non-working ABS). If it doesn't block you have a working ABS ...

You can see the ABS ring on the below photo inside the front left disc brake.

Brgds
Oliver
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

hello again.

also...after riding, when you come to a stop...does it whine? faint squeal? If so, thats the servos... mine squeals like squeaky door hinge.

also, you can look under the tank, and there will be a giant void where the ABS unit should be. Try to follow brake line from front master cyulinder to the caliper... if it goes straight there, you do not have abs.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
garr2
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 781

Post by garr2 »

If you have a wheel speed sensor ring you have ABS. Sensors on the wheels detect front & back wheel speeds and if there is a difference activate the ABS. So, sensor means ABS.

Ian
60% of the art of conversation is knowing when to say nothing
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

cool. I wondered about that. didnt want to answer incorrectly. =D>
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Also you will have a red flashing light on your instrument panel (if you have ABS) that will go out after you get rolling. After starting the bike the brake/abs warning light flashes rapidly till you get over a few mph.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
todehnal
Basic User

Post by todehnal »

The final ruling was that lack of an internal ring, as posted in the last picture. Although my VIN processed through Kelly, identified the bike as having ABS, I do not have the interior ring. Thus no ABS. I do not see this as a negative after reading the posts from many riders with ABS issues. Not being a particularly aggressive rider, I am pleased with the simplicity. Thanks for the clarification......................Tom
2004 R1150R
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

todehnal wrote:The final ruling was that lack of an internal ring, as posted in the last picture. Although my VIN processed through Kelly, identified the bike as having ABS, I do not have the interior ring. Thus no ABS. I do not see this as a negative after reading the posts from many riders with ABS issues. Not being a particularly aggressive rider, I am pleased with the simplicity. Thanks for the clarification......................Tom

If and when my ABS system bites the dust I won't spend the $1500+ for a new pump. I'll remove the system. I'm not an aggressive rider either (you don't have to be aggressive to have ABS save your bacon--I just won't spend the money).
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
todehnal
Basic User

Post by todehnal »

towerworker wrote:
todehnal wrote:The final ruling was that lack of an internal ring, as posted in the last picture. Although my VIN processed through Kelly, identified the bike as having ABS, I do not have the interior ring. Thus no ABS. I do not see this as a negative after reading the posts from many riders with ABS issues. Not being a particularly aggressive rider, I am pleased with the simplicity. Thanks for the clarification......................Tom

If and when my ABS system bites the dust I won't spend the $1500+ for a new pump. I'll remove the system. I'm not an aggressive rider either (you don't have to be aggressive to have ABS save your bacon--I just won't spend the money).

Yes, ABS brakes are wonderful, when they work. We have it on our cars, and they have worked flawlessly. When I bought the R1150R, I was looking for a simple naked bike for short hops here and there. The bike fits the bill perfectly and I plan to keep it for a long time. I do my own maintenance, and appreciate simplicity. This is just what the doctor ordered.

Thanks to all for helping me verify that my bike is without ABS..............Tom
2004 R1150R