R1200R - would it be a wise choice? - Decision made!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Pensive
Basic User

R1200R - would it be a wise choice? - Decision made!

Post by Pensive »

Last year (or was it the year before) I investigated getting a 1100R/1150R but due to the physical weight and seat height decided either of them would have been too close to the limits of manageability for me so the idea drifted away. It's not the riding of the bike that made them awkward but the shunting around the garage, doing the U turns and slow traffic riding where their bulk would have caught me out.

I currently have an F650GS twin which is such a fun bike to ride and serves all my daily needs in a bike, light, nimble, frugal on fuel, comfortable to ride all day and so on but on trips away I have to peddle it harder than my friends as they are on K1300STs, RTs, CBF1000s, R1200GSs and so on. It's not just the peddling as only having a single disc, less engine braking and no telelever blah blah I have to back off sooner and so on, not a lot but enough to have to work harder to keep up.

So...my head has been turned towards the R1200R which is such a neat little package, it's lighter and lower than the 1100/1150R so could be do-able but first a few questions...

Is the 2011+ (the one with the DOHC) engine that much better than the previous, the sales guy was saying MPG and power output is better, I'm not that bothered about an extra few hp (it's got more than I will ever use anyway) but what would the MPG be, the 45-50mpg of the previous model really doesn't sound that good at all. I get 65mpg from the GS when screaming it around and 72mpg on a run. Is the 2011+ much smoother than the previous?

Is it a genuinely sensible touring bike bearing in mind it is naked, no point in having a more capable bike if the rider is more exhausted by the wind and weather.

I'm happy that there are enough luggage and farkle options for them :biggrin: , colours seem a little limited though... ;)

As Owners as opposed to Sales guys what do you have to say about the difference between the two and do you find them easy bikes to live with.

Advice and comments welcome :-k
Last edited by Pensive on Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Las
Double Lifer

Re: R1200R - would it be a wise choice?

Post by Las »

1. Yes, there is a big enough difference between the r12r DOHC bikes and their predecessors to matter.
2. No, you will not get anywhere near 72 mph. You will not get over 50mph (US gallons) unless you ride like your tires are made out if eggs.
3. There are enough windscreen options for this bike that you will be able to find one that gives you the exact degree of wind protection that you desire.
David R
Basic User

Post by David R »

My last bike was an R1100RT. It too was too big, tall and heavy. The R1200R is more for me. Lower, lighter and handles like it.

The R1200R is a different class than your smaller gas sipper bike. I also have a 2011 Versys (650 twin) to run around town and commute. Since I got the R1200R the Versys just sits.

My R is 2012.

KILLER brakes, Awesome HP and torque. Great ride.

More class than most bikes.

Don't forget you are in an R1200R forum :)

David
qfman
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by qfman »

the R12R carries its weight pretty low so I find it as easy to manhandle around the carport as a 500 or a scooter.
On a trip, I found my R1150R lacked the top end to keep up with Japanese 1000s. The R12R has the punch to keep you in touch. Gas mileage? Fill up every other stop when riding with the Italian/Japanese guys. I've seen 4L/100 on trips but I get 5L/100"around town.

The key difference in fast riding is the Telelever front end. It is almost cheating how easy it is. ZERO dive.

My non-ABS, flat grey, unwashed, unloved R12R is coming up for 60000km/5 years old. It is barely run in. Get one.

(Unless you're worried about image in which case you should get a GS)

Tom
Pensive
Basic User

Post by Pensive »

Interesting to hear from an owner and not a salesman that the DOHC does make that much of a difference, if I was going to change then it makes sense to go the whole hog, does it make much of a difference to the servicing costs?

I don't really need to keep up with the guys at the top end as I like to see a bit of the scenery as it flies past, it's the bottom end that I lose pace, the odd second here and there on acceleration and braking that adds up over the miles enough to have me working hard to keep up.

Ah yes.. I forgot US galls are smaller than ours so 45-50 mpg US equates more or less to 55-60mpg UK so pretty good for a bike of that size and power.

I have a Ducati Sport Classic which is high on grin factor - for the first 20 mins - so my initial wanderings were possibly to replace her with something that I didn't have to wrestle with quite so much but after thinking about it, if I was to replace her with a 1200R then the GS would sit in the garage like the Versys does.

It is dawning on me that it should be the GS that goes as the R1200 is (allegedly) so easy to live with and I can still keep the Ducati for polishing and I have old GS (that still sheds desert sand no matter how much I clean her) that I can wheel out for rufty tufty round the world traveller image purposes.
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

I have a 08 R1200R and it is the best bike I've ever owned. Had an R12RT and sold it when I started riding the R. The R can be just about any kind of bike you want it to be. Sport bike, long distance tourer or competent dirt road bike. Have not ridden a Camhead version so I will not offer an opinion.

By the way, my wife has an F650GS and has no problem staying with me whether it be on high speed interstate rides or curvy Montana roads. But it has a chain.... yuk!
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
Clem
Basic User

Post by Clem »

YES, the DOHC R1200R is smooth shifting and the engine is a well-sorted piece of work. There IS enough difference to warrant getting a new one. Mine averages 47mpg. Lighter and more agile than previous Roadsters, but compared to the F series, a heavier-duty platform capable of two-up & loaded touring. Ample selection of screens, fairings, panniers and top cases. Enough alternator reserve for electrical add-ons, too.
If the weigh and milege factors are still a concern, might I suggest the new F800GT. A fine compromise.
badbs101
Basic User

Post by badbs101 »

If you're satisfied with the F650GS, except for its acceleration, I say keep it. For me, the parallel twin was too buzzy and the seat was uncomfortable. Additionally, the ride was sporting but less than luxurious. (I had a F800ST). The R1200R cured two of these problems but the ride is still sporting but less than luxurious (no ESA). For that reason, I would suggest getting the ESA option or upgrading the suspension if you decide to go with the R1200R. It's set up fine for cornering but can be a bit jarring on freeway expansion cracks etc when doing longer rides. You'll also need to get a fairing or windshield if you're going to put on any freeway miles. The R1200R is definitely a more sophisticated ride, it's hard to define, but the quality of the 1200 bikes vs the parallel twin bikes is noticeable. Nothing wrong with the F650/F800 bikes but they feel like they're built to a price point. No bike is perfect but my current '12 R1200R and '05 F650GS single cylinder are the two best bikes I have owned. The F650 single is great around town and gets excellent mileage while the R1200R will go 70-80 mph effortlessly; it's like the paralever/duolever gets easier to ride as you go faster. I get about 48-50 mpg on the freeway and 42-43 around town on the 1200. Another advantage of the boxer 1200 is the engine gives off less noticeable heat, my F800st was a hot beast in the Summer.

You're in a R1200R forum so you're going to get biased opinions.
Barry - Minnesota

'12 R1200R Classic
'05 F650GS
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

The new F800GT sure has some great reviews. Someday I will need a lighter bike than my R1200R, but that is a long time away. The trend right now seems to be away from the bigger bikes. Honda has some neat new stuff too.

If you want to keep up with your friends, that is a whole other rationale for purchasing a bike. The R1200R, especially with the DOHC should have no trouble with that. Windscreens are sometimes an experiment before you get it totally dialed in like you like it.
Last edited by jkhomes on Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
David R
Basic User

Post by David R »

I have an oilhead. 2000 R1100RT with a fuel controller (chip).

I test drove an 09 hex head RT. It was much smoother but not much more power than my 1100.

The camhead R1200R being 130 lbs lighter than my RT and 20 hp more is a whole different bike. Low end grunt is there all the time. Shift to pass? Nope, just turn the throttle and away you go. 100 Mph in 3rd gear at the rev limiter. I don't know how fast it will go in 4th and hope I never find out. I am guessing the bike would top out at about 140 mph. Not with me on it.

Riding on the expressways at 75 mph, the engine is just in its power band ready to take off at any time.

This summer I was heading to port Ontario from New York state. I ran into a fella on a Triumph 1050 triple near sandusky ohio. I followed him through Detroit on route 75. I think he was trying to loose me. We rode for 30 minutes and covered 46 miles. Do the math, we averaged 92 mph in traffic. The R1200R was the perfect bike. We split up when he got on route 94 and I missed the exit.

David Loving my RED R1200R
Paul-from-VA
Lifer

Post by Paul-from-VA »

Ride one (could be tough) find out if you like it. It really is a fine motorcycle capable of doing most anything you would want from a motorcycle. The "feel" of this bike is astounding, in the top 3 of the more than 50 new bikes I've owned over the past 50 years.
Paul
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

My son has F8ooR sometimes Idriving it more nimble than 12R.Acceleration Aprox.is the same(just rew it)12R has lot more low end torque.But if you drive them adekvatly to the modell,they are head by head.

Steve
AncientMariner
Lifer
Donating Member #: 783

Post by AncientMariner »

I've had two 2010's and now have a 2013. The transmission is smoother and the engine is more nimble. Cam head or not, they are great bikes.

My last 2010 had the factory lowered chassis. I didn't care for it so much, even though it was easier to move around the garage and parking lots. The ride was very brusque and the seat was not cushioned enough for my boney butt.

My 2013 has a very comfy ride and the seat is great. I hope to keep it for a long time - my forever bike, perhaps.

Of course the proof is in the riding. Go for a test ride, but bring your checkbook. On my first test ride, I hadn't gone a mile before I knew I had to have an R1200 R.

Bruce
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'10 R12R's Black Biarritz Blue RIP
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
Steve in VT
Basic User

Post by Steve in VT »

My previous bike was an 84 R65LS, and since I'm not getting any stronger, I wanted a new bike that wasn't a whole lot heavier than the little airhead. Also wanted ABS, fuel injection, and luggage. The R1200R at first seemed like overkill - the F800ST was also in the running. But the 1200 just felt so planted, so forgiving, and so easy to maneuver at low speed, I couldn't resist it. After 10K miles, one long tour, and a lot of running around Vermont, I wouldn't trade it for anything different. It looks like nothing else (except maybe a 1200 GS), and I love the way it quietly kicks Harley ass.
Peugeot PX-10, '07 R1200R, Canon 780is.
No, kid, I won't do a wheelie. I'd fall on my ass.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Hi,Bruce,hi Steve in VT!
I use to have 2010 R12R.A lady turned left,I was allready in passing situation.Bang...I flew 35 fts,took off Chevy van front end,one broken rib,bedly injured right knee feww days in hospital 3.5 months out of work.My bike was totaled.I allmost cryde on my bike.I bought my 2012 R12 ayear ago.I can not see too much differences betveen the two bikes(power,torque,accelleration).May bee 2012 somewhat more agile,but no significantly.This bikes are very close.
Two veeks ago 6-7 guys on jap.Chroch rackets passed me (I was driving70mph) they where loking above shoulders,smiling."Grandpa's bike with grandpa on it".At Peterborough,ON I walk in to Tim Hortos for acaffee when they arrived.There was no more smiling.Only I was smiling in ther face.They were apsolutelly quet.No comment.

Never ever underestimate an1200R

Regards,Steve H.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Steve in VT!
You are right.Harleys-BMWr1200r completelly different bikes.Harleys are show bikes.Speding more time to polish the crome than driving them.Harleys are opsolate bikes decades behind.Shiny,fancy farmtractors on two wheels.Except Harley with1250 cc Porsche engine,or Buel with ROTAX engine.They are a different story.If there would not been aBMW,Iwould drive Triumph,Aprilia or KTM.I don't like Duc's.Don't know why.It is personal approch.

BREG. Steve H.
qfman
Lifer

Post by qfman »

Going a little OT but Its an interesting one.... I sometimes find myself making foolish assumptions about the rider from the badge on his bike. I recently spent all morning trying to stay with a new guy on a group ride riding a full dresser Harley. He waited till after lunch to tell us he'd spent $40K adding 100hp to it. He was a fast rider with a love of HDs. Here in Australia only rich losers ride MV Augusta but I recently talked with an Italian girl who races privateer and she tells me the MV is the track weapon of choice in Italy. You can never tell until you position yourself near their rear chainring and find out how they respond. The R12R is the perfect bike for this. Hugely forgiving, lots of grunt, it's a great bike for 'meeting new people'.

Tom
Motorcycle_Girl
Lifer
Donating Member #: 752

Post by Motorcycle_Girl »

I have no complaints about my 2009 R1200R. It does everything that I need it to do. Week long tours in the mountains, rides around town, twisties with my friends. To be realistic there is no reason to worry about power or speed on the street. I have been to the track and got to 180 km/hr and there was more there if I needed it. If you want a bike that is a great all rounder then the R1200R is it.

If I want to go faster I borrow the BF's Triumph Speed Triple R. Now there is a license loser....

If I want even more attention I take my 1982 Yamaha RD350LC out for a jaunt and watch the blue smoke...

Best of luck in your search...remember there are a lot of bikes out there. Find the one that works for you.

Celeste
2009 R1200R Biarritz Blue
1982 Yamaha RD350LC (IT LIVES!!!!)
badbs101
Basic User

Post by badbs101 »

Steve H. wrote:Steve in VT!
You are right.Harleys-BMWr1200r completelly different bikes.Harleys are show bikes.Speding more time to polish the crome than driving them.Harleys are opsolate bikes decades behind.Shiny,fancy farmtractors on two wheels.Except Harley with1250 cc Porsche engine,or Buel with ROTAX engine.They are a different story.If there would not been aBMW,Iwould drive Triumph,Aprilia or KTM.I don't like Duc's.Don't know why.It is personal approch.

BREG. Steve H.
I'm not sure where you get your info from? Besides BMW riders, nobody puts on more touring miles than Harley riders. My guess is you've never owned one. They do attract more than their fair share of annoying pirate poser wannabes. I've owned three and they never left me stranded. I never fell for the "gotta look like a pirate badass" thing though. If I could own another bike, I wouldn't look past Harleys as they are fun to ride. BMW's are better though. :D
Barry - Minnesota

'12 R1200R Classic
'05 F650GS
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

I'm not sure where you get your info from? Besides BMW riders, nobody puts on more touring miles than Harley riders. My guess is you've never owned one. They do attract more than their fair share of annoying pirate poser wannabes. I've owned three and they never left me stranded. I never fell for the "gotta look like a pirate badass" thing though. If I could own another bike, I wouldn't look past Harleys as they are fun to ride. BMW's are better though.
Couldn't agree more. As annoyed as I get with the weekend, bar hopping wannabes in Milwaukee, I still have tremendous respect for Harley Davidson motorcycles and the people who really ride them (my father included.) I find it funny how people always make the "old technology" comments when bashing H-D, like the engineers there just haven't figured out how to make a liquid cooled engine and are struggling to keep up with limited resources and a miniscule operating budget. #-o Steve H., Harley continues to make air-cooled V-twins because there continues to be a huge demand for them. They make bikes as modern as possible, while retaining the classic features that their customer base demands. Harley's marketing department isn't selling the bikes as "the latest in motorcycle technology." They sell refreshed, vintage style bikes to people who want them. Nobody gives Triumph, Royal Enfield, Ducati, Kawasaki, Moto Guzzi, or Honda grief for selling air/oil cooled vintage style bikes with horrible suspensions. People - myself included - are drawn to those bikes for a reason - one you clearly don't understand.
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)