Newbie Intro

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

smutny
Basic User

Newbie Intro

Post by smutny »

Just thought I'd introduce myself as a new R1100R owner, bought a 2000 vintage at the end of June. She's been neglected a bit and is showing some weathering, already ordered some new hardware to replace the ugly looking bolts. Also took some blows to the right side of the tank, will be replacing that at the end of summer, once I feel I've gotten comfortable riding her in all speed ranges.

It's been 25 years since I've been on a motorcycle. Had a Yamaha 650 Maxim in college and rode a R65 of a friend's in Germany in the 1980's.

This site's a great resource and I've been learning a lot about these bikes and engines.
John Smutny
2000 R1100R
WineGuyD
Basic User

Re: Newbie Intro

Post by WineGuyD »

Welcome! You and I have a similar story. The biggest issue you will probably have to deal with moving forward will be rubber components breaking down from age i.e. brake lines, seals and gaskets.

Follow my thread: http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread. ... only-25mpg it will be very insightful for you.

Where in NY are you located?
Eli the wine guy
smutny
Basic User

Post by smutny »

Thanks, Eli, interesting thread.

Already received a number of items from beemerboneyard, 2wheelpros and eBay to replace and repair bolts, filters, fluids and plugs. Spent a few hours this last weekend cleaning components and, sure enough, found some deteriorated rubber parts.

I expect to get her all squared away in time for winter...

Not in NY, on the other Coast in Seattle.
John Smutny
2000 R1100R
WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

smutny wrote:Not in NY, on the other Coast in Seattle.

Saw NY in you name...just assumed. A good preventive measure would be to replace brake lines with stainless steel braided, if you get to this point give me a PM and i'll enlighten you to all the pitfalls. You are going to find that the R1100R is an orphan among all the other "R's"...less aftermarket accessories, but like a mutt, it will grow on you.
Eli the wine guy
smutny
Basic User

Post by smutny »

Yes, I plan to replace the hoses this winter.

After failures in my car (coolant) and airplane (fuel), I'm a big believer in the 10 year lifespan of the common hose.
John Smutny
2000 R1100R
WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

smutny wrote:Yes, I plan to replace the hoses this winter.

After failures in my car (coolant) and airplane (fuel), I'm a big believer in the 10 year lifespan of the common hose.

I just went with HEL for all my brake lines, top quality and a pleasure to deal with the supplier, plus they come with stainless steel fittings which are superior to the Spieglers aluminum.
Eli the wine guy
ICBMguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by ICBMguy »

As a 2000 R11R owner as well, +1 on the rubber replacement. Got new fuel lines a couple years back ('11) after a leak developed at the fitting you have to clamp off to remove the tank, just did the fork seals, and am looking at brake lines next. So Spiegler isn't the best eh? Good to know.
2000 R1100R Graphite & Ice Blue "Jasper"
WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

ICBMguy wrote:. So Spiegler isn't the best eh? Good to know.

Spieglers are good but HEL edges them by one detail. HEL uses stainless steel fittings, including the banjos, along with copper washers eliminating corrosion in the long term. Spiegler uses aluminum which will corrode in time.
Eli the wine guy