Help me spend my money (on a r1200r)

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Robert_California
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Help me spend my money (on a r1200r)

Post by Robert_California »

Hey Folks,
I've been thinking of getting a r1200r for a dedicated street bike. I've been riding bikes for a few years and I've have been through quite a few makes/models. I've owned a f800gs in the past and I enjoyed that bike and was impressed by BMWs in general. Maybe this bike will be the "keeper" I never sell... at least for street bikes...

Some questions I have are:
What are some essential mods, particularly for touring/commuting?
Of course this list can go out of control, so I have to watch myself. I think all I need are the hard cases, touring windscreen, crash bars and possibly a seat. I don't want to ruin the looks of the bike, but I've seen photos of the bike from other owners in touring mode and they still look snazzy.

How much should I be willing to spend on a good, used bike?
I'm looking to spend $10k or less. I'd like the miles to be low, too. I guess I want the world, huh? I've checked my local dealership and they have one for sale for a bit more. Is there a buyer's market for these bikes? There aren't many used ones for sale. I actually hate this particular dealer.....
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Re: Help me spend my money (on a r1200r)

Post by angellr »

Robert_California wrote:Hey Folks,
I've been thinking of getting a r1200r for a dedicated street bike. I've been riding bikes for a few years and I've have been through quite a few makes/models. I've owned a f800gs in the past and I enjoyed that bike and was impressed by BMWs in general. Maybe this bike will be the "keeper" I never sell at least for street bikes...

Some questions I have are:
What are some essential mods, particularly for touring/commuting?
Of course this list can go out of control, so I have to watch myself. I think all I need are the hard cases, touring windscreen, crash bars and possibly a seat. I don't want to ruin the looks of the bikes, but I've seen photos of the bike in touring mode and they still look snazzy.

How much should I be willing to spend on a good, used bike?
I'm looking to spend $10k or less. I'd like the miles to be low, too. I guess I want the world, huh? I've checked my local dealership and they have one for sale for a bit more. Is there a buyer's market for these bikes? There aren't many used ones for sale. I actually hate this particular dealer.....
Welcome to the board.

Dedicated touring/commuting: Hand guards, windscreen of some kind, crash bars are minimum with maybe barbacks, throttle control as 4 and 5.
Its a sellers market right now (as far as I can tell) and used pop up every now/then and can find them in your price range.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Post by hjsbmw »

For $10k you should be able to get a good one with cases at least. It won't be the most recent. While I wouldn't look for a high mileage bike I wouldn't look for a super low mileage one either. Stuff doesn't get better from standing around. Moderate use and some warranty left might be good, but that might get you slightly outside of your range, especially at a dealer.

Good luck, it's a great bike as long as it's your cup of tea. Have you ridden one?

Touring / commuting farkles, IMHO: seat, windshield, cases, valve cover protectors.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Worth keeping an eye on Ebay - there are usually a few for sale there, sometimes low mileage recent examples.

And touring? Depends on what you want. If you want an RT sort of bike - buy an RT. If you want a fresh-air experience, a minimal windshield will protect you against the worst of the weather, a set of handguards helps too, and the factory bags will carry your "stuff" and keep it dry. Then get on it and start touring. You may find you need very little else in the way of touring gear.

BTW - a lot of other people also hate that dealer. Why not head south a bit and deal with Mortons? No one hates Mortons - most people love them.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
SDMAX
Basic User

Post by SDMAX »

I just "toured" 4500 miles on my 2007 R1200R; San Diego to Alaska etc; used larger windscreen; aftermarket seat, Air Hawk, Givi bags; it was fine; I've ridden an RT a couple of times; just not my deal; I've never ridden a GS but others love them. I'd ride an RT and a GS and then go buy the R1200; I think the R12's can last darn near forever. I think you will love the boxer motor over the 800's. Timeless bike. Black with white striping in earlier model years runs the best.
vroomr
Basic User

Post by vroomr »

Real cheap: heavier bar end weights and foam grip cushions (which play well with heated grips).
Richard
Lee Davis
Basic User

Post by Lee Davis »

"Worth keeping an eye on Ebay - there are usually a few for sale there, sometimes low mileage recent examples."

I have bought about 85 antique cars and motorcycles over the past dozen years and recently have turned to Craigslist for a bike purchase. I wanted a R1150RT, and ebay was very limited (3 or 4 examples), but Craigslist had 15 of them in the several western startes surrounding me. I reviewed them all and chose a nice one 400 miles away in Mesa, Arizona. It was more reasonable to fly to Mesa than to Anchorage for me right now, but that one in Alaska sure was nice. Sadly, I just couldn't spare a week off right now.
Robert_California
Basic User

Thanks for the welcome. Good advice all around.
I've never had a faired bike and I don't think I want an RT.
Having a "timeless" bike would be great. Well said.

It's hard to find a used bike in my price range, either from a dealer or not.
I suppose I have to be patient and flexible and try to do a fly and ride...or increase my price range.
BoxerSteve
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 879

Post by BoxerSteve »

Sellers market, eh? Apparently I let my '08 R1200R with 17K go too cheap: 8 grand. I didn't exactly have people beating down the door to buy it either. Took me 6 months to sell it. I must have been doing something wrong.
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

BoxerSteve wrote:Sellers market, eh? Apparently I let my '08 R1200R with 17K go too cheap: 8 grand. I didn't exactly have people beating down the door to buy it either. Took me 6 months to sell it. I must have been doing something wrong.
Try and source a used one right now .. not too many choices ... looks like YMMV is the phrase here.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
Robert_California
Basic User

angellr wrote:
BoxerSteve wrote:Sellers market, eh? Apparently I let my '08 R1200R with 17K go too cheap: 8 grand. I didn't exactly have people beating down the door to buy it either. Took me 6 months to sell it. I must have been doing something wrong.
Try and source a used one right now .. not too many choices ... looks like YMMV is the phrase here.
Yeah it doesn't look like I have a lot of choices, at least locally.
Does anyone have any experience haggling with a dealership? I'd like to know what a reasonable counter offer would be.

BTW, is it better to have crash bars or guards that go completely over the valve covers?
Karamazov
Lifer
Donating Member #: 540

Post by Karamazov »

Does anyone have any experience haggling with a dealership? I'd like to know what a reasonable counter offer would be.
I've purchased all of my bikes new, and in every case was able to get a very good price - either through straight up discount to MSRP, inflated trade in value, or a great deal on accessories. Negotiating on a used bike should give you much more room to haggle, but that's dependent on way too many unknown variables (how much the dealer hosed the guy who traded it in, how long it's been on the floor, and the likelihood someone will nab it at close to asking price). Also, the dealer may be selling it on consignment for some guy with a firm asking price. I suggest you be honest with yourself, decide what you're really willing to spend, and make an offer. At the very worst, the dealer will tell you you're way off. Or, maybe in a month or so, with the bike still on the floor he'll find your offer more attractive and give you a ring.
BTW, is it better to have crash bars or guards that go completely over the valve covers?
I've had guards on both of my R1200Rs (Verholen stainless steel on my '07 and Machineartmoto on my current) and found them to be extremely useful in even low speed dumps. In my opinion - and I have no doubt people will disagree - any get off that would require actual crash bars, will likely cause more damage than crash bars will prevent, if you know what I mean.
N8
- '14 Dark White
- '14 R NineT
- '12 R1200R Classic
- '07 R1200R (Caged)
psycle.vt

Post by psycle.vt »

Max's in CT has my '09 with 30k miles on it - no price posted (I couldn't resist the "offer you can't refuse" he made for a trade on a '13 Blue one to go with my wife's '12 Red one).

I can't really speak to the power improvements, but I really do like the new instrument pod - it actually seems to act as small windscreen such that I was able to comfortably travel from CT to VT to NJ and back to VT (via Max's for "600" mile service) near the end at extra-legal speeds. Could NOT do that on the 09. The comfort seat is actually comfortable -at least after 350 miles in one day I was ok. It does not do anything for rain however - got totally soaked in the 8 miles of it right at the end of the VT to NJ ride.
Cy Young/VT (now NH)
13 R1200R (BLUE - the latest PSYCLE)
fastdogs2
Lifer
Donating Member #: 819

Post by fastdogs2 »

You don't say where you are located in Maryland, but we have a few used R1200R's for sale in the Raleigh area. One is at Capitol BMW, 2011 with 8,500 miles for $11,995 and another is a friend of mine, who has his listed on the BMWMOA Forum fleamarket, a 2011 with 13,000 miles for $12,900.

I have toured on my bike from anywhere from 1,400 miles to 3,400 miles and I agree with the previous posts. Side cases, top case, windscreen, valve cover protectors, GPS, Motolights and a tank bag are my touring accessories.

Bill
2009 R1200R Alpine White
# 819
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

angellr wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I like my 07 R1200R but if I was looking for one and couldn't find one I'd just buy a Triumph or new Yamaha 800 Triple instead.
Hell if you have your heart set on a R1200R and can't find one I'll sell you mine. :D All set up for touring Ohlins and nice wheels and all.
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
celticus
Lifer

Post by celticus »

OK uncle BS aside, what you need for touring is a OEM luggage rack.
Air can hurt you too
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

I do not care for the OEM luggage that comes with the R. I got a set "free" when I bought mine and sold it straight away. I much prefer top loading luggage and would have Jesse Bags on my R if they were available. I have them on our three other bikes. I have Hepco Becker bags on my R now. If I were buying a set now I would go with Touratech Zegas (See their Streetline site). By the way, I've been pestering Al Jesse for a couple of years to produce luggage for the R. I spoke to him at the BMWMOA rally and he claims he'll have them ths fall or winter. If he does I will replave my HB and put on the Jesses.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
celticus
Lifer

Post by celticus »

I think that BMW makes the best OEM luggage of all the bike makers out there but I too would like some top opening aluminum cases.
Air can hurt you too
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

One reason I'm not a big fan of the top-loading aluminum cases is - they have been known to break legs. Personally know one person this happened to, and have heard of several others. If your leg is knocked off the peg for some reason and dragged backwards, the bottom forward edge of the aluminum panniers is very unforgiving.

I do ride with my side cases on all the time - not only because they're handy to toss stuff in (like my helmet and stich when I go into civilian disguise), but also because I know of instances where the cylinders and side cases have prevented injury in a topple-over, and a T-bone. I also know the side cases are designed to pop off in the event of a rear hit - BTDT on mine when a local club member wasn't paying attention and bonged into the back of my starboard side case with his RT. The bag popped off the mount and I stayed upright. The top recess that locks into the rail assembly broke out, but not so badly that I couldn't remount it and ride it home. BMW does do some homework on how to improve your chances in the case of a crash, something I think is overlooked by a lot of aftermarket accessory makers.

YMMV.. sorta.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Robert_California
Basic User

I'm ok with the side loaders for long trips. I think the top case is better for commuting.
The TT Zegas just don't look right on this bike. [-X

Another thing...sort of specific...is there a way of mounting my Twisted Throttle Denali lights onto the bike without any crashbars? If I had crashbars, mounting the lights there would be an obvious choice. But assuming I went with the valve covers, the only other mounting spot I've seen is the reflectors near the front fender. I don't like that spot.

Anyways...I'm trying to sell my old bike while looking for this one. I'm hoping it will sell quickly.

What do you think about buying a bike remotely and using uship? A fly n' ride would be better....but if the bike/seller is a dud...well... ](*,) I'd have to be careful about that.