rain pants?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

peels
Basic User

rain pants?

Post by peels »

well got stuck in my first rain shower today (finally) I got a really nice BMW rain jacket in the deal when I bought the R ive been dying to try out. THought I would be OK with that on my 8 mile ride to work..

yeah it POURED today. I look like I've been duck hunting all day with no waders. Guess I sorta thought my shins would stay drier, from the boxer heads. <NOOB> My old bike I just had some plastic pants, and my feet stayed semi dry....but I got rid of them...

anyways, I am wondering if there is a rain pant out there WITH the feet in it. (think kids zip up pajamas LOL) I see pants AND boots separate, nothing together. Oh...I really hate chaps... also saw some panty-booty thing that looked OK(froggtogg?), but im thinking whole pants with feet, I can put em on in one fell swoop, get back on the road.....

I may be just lazy....but it is what it is....

thanks!
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
Lee Davis
Basic User

Re: rain pants?

Post by Lee Davis »

Rain pants with built in feet don't exist. It is a safety thing... many rain suits are used as foul weather gear for marine use, and if you go into the water, the pants would fill with water, acting as an anchor. I bought a light jacket and pants in California on the way north one time (2002), and they are fantastic... and inexpensive. Made by Pro Rainer, I did a search just now, and it seems that they are no longer available (REI used to carry the brand). Sad... they are dark green and really keep you dry, except for the boots. But, there are some separate boot covers available, just haven't done a search yet. I did 350 miles of hard rain on the Alaska highway once and stayed dry, although I had to dry my boots out that night. Before my next long trip I will find some boot covers. For sailing I had a $500 set of premium foul weather gear and I think I prefer the $30 Pro Rainer set.
ldeijkva
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by ldeijkva »

I use a laminated bicycle suit if it's pouring outside. Lightweight, keeps the body heat all zipped up.
Fit's underneath the seat perfectly. :)
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

@lee davis: I hadnt thought of boots filling with water and drowning... eek nightmare :)

the old pair I had that I kept on my old bike, was just like cheap clear plastic..like what you'd buy at a concert...it lasted two seasons... and worked just fine...

I've been searching all morning...there's certainly enough out there, I think Ill be good to go-and not breaking the bank either, except, my wife is insisting that I buy the BMW pants that match my jacket. :)

http://www.teileineile.de/images/produc ... 1484_0.jpg
BoxerSteve
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 879

Post by BoxerSteve »

I have frog togs rain gear, works great. Only drawback is they are kind of bulky. But sorry, no pajama-style footsies.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

BoxerSteve wrote:I have frog togs rain gear, works great. Only drawback is they are kind of bulky. But sorry, no pajama-style footsies.
bulky i think is ok, i just want them easy to throw on in a hurry...

thanks, froggtogg was the brand I was lookin at.
jwagreen
Basic User

Post by jwagreen »

I commute daily to work 130 miles roundtrip in Central Florida. It rains almost every afternoon. My solution was waterproof riding boots, rain pants, and rain jacket. I bought all the gear at cycle gear. The pants ($24.99) Jacket ($34.99) boots ($59.99) The pants go over the waterproof boots and I no longer get wet at all. The only thing I need to figure out is waterproof gloves. The rest of my body stays dry with the rain gear by Bilt and it rolls down really thin and I store it in my tank bag. Before this set up I would come home soaked and my shoes would take a day or two to dry out.
bransan
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by bransan »

Waterproof boots? I wear alpinstar boots and My feet are always dry, even in the heaviest downpour. I have a triumph jacket with a waterproof/removable liner, and joe rocket ballistic pants when the weather is cool or rainy. I get wet down the back from the helmet dripping, but the rest of the body is mostly bone dry.
Keep Your Stick On the Ice.
Listen to Me at kaxe.org
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I have 2 pairs of BMW Goretex boots. One pair is at least 10 years old and one of my most comfortable pairs of shoes. Both have always kept my feet dry. Even 500 mile days in the rain.

I got the older pair for $200 off. $77 out the door. :D
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!