Never drove a Harley

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Steve H.
Basic User

Never drove a Harley

Post by Steve H. »

Well,I am a bigener-growing up on bike-.

As a truck driver I can see many different bikes on the road ,from Canada to New Mexico,Arizona,California all the way.I can see guys riding on Harleys or similar bikes shaking their hands.Do they want to say me hello??Or yust getting hands numb??Carpal tunell syndrome??Or a lot of vibrations??Please help me out in this to understand better.Scince my english is Low,I would like to see some explanations from guys speaking "good English".

Thank you for respondes.

Steve H.........
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Re: Never drove a Harley

Post by dbrick »

Motorcycle riders wave at one another to acknowledge that both are sharing the riding experience. It's common all over the world. The style of wave varies - hand up, hand down, pointing finger, etc. etc. - but the meaning is the same: "I see you fellow biker."
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
badbs101
Basic User

Post by badbs101 »

I sent you a PM but I can answer you here too. The big touring Harleys are actually pretty smooth once youre underway as the handlebars are well isolated form the rubber mounted engine. If you've never ridden a touring Harley, you may be pleasantly surprised. You can rent them from several places across the US and Canada. Maybe try it and report back to us as there's no better way to find out if it's for you or not. The smaller Dynas and Sportster can be vibey but even they can have their sweet spot in the RPM range. One of the worst bikes I've owned for bad vibration was the BMW F800ST. My had would fall asleep in no time on that bike. I bought grip puppies and contemplated other remedies before eventually selling. It wasn't the intensity of the vibration (which was bad enough) but the frequency. Cruise the F800 forums and you'll see threads about Grip Puppies and other remedies.

Boxer Twins are Better.
Barry - Minnesota

'12 R1200R Classic
'05 F650GS
R100CS
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by R100CS »

Instead of waving, in the UK seems nodding sideways the custom.
As they ride on the left, the throttle is on the near side of the on coming traffic, lifting that hand isn't an option.
Maybe that's the explenation, suggestions?
2003 R1150R/Touratec panniers/H&B topbox/Gimbel Fairing/MCCruise cruisecontroll
previous R100CS
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

Steve --Why the fascination with Harleys. This question might be better answered on a Harley forum. Just go on, tell them your a Beemer rider, and ask any questions you have about Harleys.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Martyn
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Martyn »

R100CS wrote:Instead of waving, in the UK seems nodding sideways the custom.
As they ride on the left, the throttle is on the near side of the on coming traffic, lifting that hand isn't an option.
Maybe that's the explenation, suggestions?
Yep, that's about it. "Nodding is the norm" here. :smt023
Martyn Hillier, Cheltenham, UK.
1979 R100RT, 2013 R1200RT, 2014 R1200R & 2016 R1200RT Iconic.
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I've had my own share of hand shaking, but only after many hours on the road. My bike ('04 R1150) is pretty smooth but some rpm ranges seem to be worse at times with vibration. I use a home-grown cruise control, an O-ring that I roll up the bar-end weight to where it contacts the edge of the rubber grip. It provides just enough friction to allow me to take my hand off the throttle for a few moments and stretch my fingers.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
thepeacebullgrunt
Lifer
Donating Member #: 952

Post by thepeacebullgrunt »

dbrick wrote:Motorcycle riders wave at one another to acknowledge that both are sharing the riding experience. It's common all over the world. The style of wave varies - hand up, hand down, pointing finger, etc. etc. - but the meaning is the same: "I see you fellow biker."

YoH! That's a Santa Cruz way of saying it! ;)
Pain is Ignorance this is why it really hurt...