moto accident

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

H1Alpha
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

moto accident

Post by H1Alpha »

Unfortunately, I was struck from behind in Maryland (if you are familiar with the area, the MacArthur BLVD exit ramp off of Clara Barton Pkwy, to be exact) two weeks ago. Thankfully, traffic was moving slowly, and I was wearing my protective armor, sustained minor bumps and bruises. My 2011 R1200R, though was deemed totaled by my insurance company. I'm in the process of picking up another R1200R.
Rich
2012 R1200 RED
2011 R1200R Classic-Total Loss/Accident
AncientMariner
Lifer
Donating Member #: 783

Re: moto accident

Post by AncientMariner »

I, too, lost an R1200 R in a road accident. I was unscathed but the bike was totaled.

The important thing is you are OK.

What color do you have in mind for the replacement?

Bruce
'13 R12R Montego Blue
'10 R12R's Black Biarritz Blue RIP
'95 Mystic Red K75
'94 Black HD FXDS
H1Alpha
Basic User

Post by H1Alpha »

The replacement bike, I'm looking at is a '12R1200R, RED.
Rich
2012 R1200 RED
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

Glad to hear you came out relatively unscathed. Lots of R12Rs in the world but only one Rich and all that.

You mind sharing any more details about the collision? Assume the other driver was in a car?
Bill
H1Alpha
Basic User

Post by H1Alpha »

Hi Bill,

Don't mind sharing more info re: moto accident. about 3:15p.m., coming from I-270 spur on to Cabin John Pkwy towards DC. I'm sure you're aware that the Clara Barton Pkwy is ONE Way coming out of the city after 2:45p, the driver was in a 2012 Ford Focus, a small car, thankfully. He was coming out of DC along the Clara Barton Pkwy. All vehicles coming in towards DC must exit onto the MacArthur Blvd ramp. I had exited and was heading up towards MacArthur Blvd, when I was struck from behind, knocked off the bike, and actually the bike's back wheel was knocked out from under the bike, I rolled on to the right side of the bike. Thankfully I had the BMW oem Hard Cases on the bike. Between the handle bars and the hard case, is a relative "safe zone", where the handle bar and hard case hit the pavement, prior to me hitting the pavement.
Rich
2012 R1200 RED
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

H1Alpha wrote:Hi Bill,

Don't mind sharing more info re: moto accident. about 3:15p.m., coming from I-270 spur on to Cabin John Pkwy towards DC. I'm sure you're aware that the Clara Barton Pkwy is ONE Way coming out of the city after 2:45p, the driver was in a 2012 Ford Focus, a small car, thankfully. He was coming out of DC along the Clara Barton Pkwy. All vehicles coming in towards DC must exit onto the MacArthur Blvd ramp. I had exited and was heading up towards MacArthur Blvd, when I was struck from behind, knocked off the bike, and actually the bike's back wheel was knocked out from under the bike, I rolled on to the right side of the bike. Thankfully I had the BMW oem Hard Cases on the bike. Between the handle bars and the hard case, is a relative "safe zone", where the handle bar and hard case hit the pavement, prior to me hitting the pavement.
Glad you are ok! Came up upon a fatality yesterday minutes after it happened when the bike tried to outrun a fuel tanker ... the Red R12 is one of my favorites.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

H1Alpha wrote:Hi Bill,

Glad you are ok! Came up upon a fatality yesterday minutes after it happened when the bike tried to outrun a fuel tanker ... the Red R12 is one of my favorites.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
H1Alpha
Basic User

Post by H1Alpha »

Thank you Bruce, Bill, and Bob for your kind and thoughtful words.
Rich
2012 R1200 RED
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

Glad you are okay after such a close call. I'd be interested in the cage driver's reaction.

Think positive; you get to buy and farkle a new R.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
BLAIR1200R
Basic User

Post by BLAIR1200R »

Also glad to hear you walked away from this. :smt041
These posts always catch my attention, like a splash of cold water on the face… I remember the saying, "It's not IF, but WHEN a motorcyclist will be involved in a accident"… single vehicle or multi…

I commute on my R and cover two lane blacktop, Interstate Hwys, and inner city streets along my route and I always have my radar up (scanning the road for potential risks), but the rear end collision scenario always worries me, especially on the ride home… and reduced need for braking (see posts on engine braking) increases the risk.

I thought there was research being done to update the Hurt Report (Harry Hurt of the University of Southern California), but I lost track of this?

On the bright side… assume you're getting a new helmet too? … checkout Bill's post on the C3 :D

…while I'm posting … going in next week for the 12K service interval. Yes, yes, I know I should do this myself, but I'm swamped right now, so I'll let them do it. Shouldn't be too bad, other than the ridicoulous cost of the service, an overfill on the oil, and the expected scratches and dings that they always inflict on my bike... I'm going to switch to synthetic now, as I don't seem to be burning quite as much. Planning a redux of our trip that was canceled last spring and heading up into Oklahoma, Arkansas, and back home into Texas in a couple months …

Cheers,
RB
bLaIr1200R
2012 Grey Matt R1200R
"The universe rings true wherever you fairly test it."
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

It's great to hear you're not injured! Yes it's usually a matter of when not if when you ride regularly and being able to walk away is all you can hope for.
Good luck with the new bike!
Get Lost!
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Just saw this as much of my board time is spent on the "older R's" side. So glad you're OK!

After totaling a'03 R in 11/07 (was T-boned by a new Mustang going 55) I rolled over her car. Basically unhurt, moved slow for several days. ATG-ATT ROCKS! Can a 58 yr old guy say that? :lol:

Anyway after that and after replacing the R with an '04 I became really anal about visibility especially from behind. Many, many rear end collisions end very sadly. You are so blessed. I bought a "BRAKE!" LED tail light and installed it (sadly I think they're now out of business) but there's probably similar products out there. They have an an extremely bright programmable strobe feature when you apply the brake. I could actually see people slow up behind me when I would tap the brake. (much faster than before I installed it)

I also installed red/white DOT trailer reflective tape on the back of my my system cases as well as my Givi top box. Makes a huge difference at night.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Robert_California
Basic User

Post by Robert_California »

sorry about the crash
H1Alpha
Basic User

Post by H1Alpha »

Thank you to all of you that wished me well! Yes I'm counting myself very lucky, I had x-rays done of right hand, right elbow, right hip, showed no broken bones, lots of contusions, scrapes, seroma on the hip, bursitis in right elbow> but I'm on the mend, and I am feeling well.
Rich
2012 R1200 RED
Steve in VT
Basic User

Post by Steve in VT »

Happy to hear a survivor's story, especially when it involves lots of protective gear. Yours is not the first report of the extra "safe zone" provided by the boxer engine, handlebars, and hard bags. I actually consider the luggage part of my "PPE". (That's industry-speak: Personal Protectice Equipment). Plus I look in the mirrors. A lot.
Peugeot PX-10, '07 R1200R, Canon 780is.
No, kid, I won't do a wheelie. I'd fall on my ass.
fleuger99
Basic User

Post by fleuger99 »

Rich,

Glad to hear you walked away. Bikes can always be replaced, people not so much.

I have a set of SKENE's LED strips down either side of my license plate. When I brake they flash 6 times to wake up people behind me and then go solid. Even without breaking, they are super bright. I also got the turn signal option for an additional $20. When I put on a turn signal they flash on that side as well. They are totally worth the $120.

Enjoy the new bike and be safe.
2012 R1200R | Grey Matt | Safety Pkg | TPMS | On Board Computer | Luggage Rack | VStream Shield
sandycruz
Basic User

Post by sandycruz »

Rich,

So glad to hear you are OK. After hitting 65, I'm all about keeping my body in good working order. Machinery is replaceable, human body not so much.

Be well and good luck healing.
David Giannini
Santa Cruz, CA
'07 R1200R Black
'99 R1100SA Black
'93 900SS Red -Sold-
H1Alpha
Basic User

Post by H1Alpha »

I've gotten my replacement bike, a 2012 R1200R, RED and :LOVING IT!

I'll post a pic, if I'm able to do this. What all needs to be done to post a pic?
Rich
2012 R1200 RED
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Glad you're ok. Bikes can be repaired and replaced, people are much tougher to do that with.
BLAIR1200R wrote:I thought there was research being done to update the Hurt Report (Harry Hurt of the University of Southern California), but I lost track of this?
It's not directly an update to the Hurt report, but Berkeley's SaceTREC unit is working on this study, funded by the OTS. I just spoke to the lead researcher just last week, and the study is now slated for (hopeful) release in December. The MSF is also working on a really cool reach project where they've outfitted 100 bikes with data gathering equipment: cameras, GPS, motion sensors and such. One of the things they're looking at is how riders respond and avoid wrecks. I write about this stuff: stay tuned at http://lanesplittingislegal.com/, https://www.facebook.com/Lanesplittingislegal, or if you're in the SF Bay Area keep an eye on City Bike magazine (http://citybike.com/index-2.html) for stories as the studies are released.
fleuger99 wrote:I have a set of SKENE's LED strips down either side of my license plate. When I brake they flash 6 times to wake up people behind me and then go solid. Even without breaking, they are super bright. I also got the turn signal option for an additional $20. When I put on a turn signal they flash on that side as well. They are totally worth the $120.
The Skenes are awesome. I noticed a big difference in drivers staying off my ass when I installed them. I run them on the extra bright setting.
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

Don't know if this is true but have heard that a triangular shape is the easiest for other drivers to spot kinda of like newer cars two brake lights low and one up high, has any one tried config. brake lights in this manner? My neighbor was rear ended last year and he has modulating/ flashing brake lights brighter than mine and was given a ticket which was thrown out by the judge ( the neighbor ex mc cop told the young officer he was wrong giving him the ticket and it would save him the professional embarrassment not to but his ego won until the judge threw it out after the young officer tried to tell the judge how the law was to be interpreted ) At least no one was hurt.
I have been tail gated often, between that and critters those are my biggest fears. Ride Safe
Mike