final drive problems

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

ornk
Basic User

final drive problems

Post by ornk »

I just read an ad on e bay for a 2002 r1150r abs with 68k on it. the owner stated that he had the final drive replaced at 30k. was this model noted for having final drive failures at such low mileages? I have the same model with only 10k on it that I recently took out of storage for the past four years. Aside from a new battery and some fresh gas, the machine runs excellent. I plan on having a full service done on it when I am ready to put the machine back on the road in the coming spring. Anyone know anything about final drive failures on this model that I should be wary of? Is there something that has to be done to the final drive to prevent failure? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: final drive problems

Post by gregor »

I hope not and no I have nor heard of that. I change my oil GL5 spec only every 2 years or so (low mileage).

Now- gearbox shift problems and discussion are to be found widely.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
Arbreacames
Basic User

Post by Arbreacames »

My only recommendation would be to check the FD once in a while by spinning the rear wheel. It should be perfectly smooth and devoid of play. FD main bearings do fail occasionally. Initially, a bad bearing will feel a little rough. Neglected, it will exhibit play and may cause failure of the seal. Damage in a bearing can consist of pitting of the races or balls or failure of the ball cage. Failure of the cage is particularly bad because it can suddenly pierce the oil seal.
The main bearing is not expensive, but adjusting its preload by the book is difficult and I doubt many dealers bother doing it. I replaced my main bearing twice.If you reuse the original shims, the replacement is easy to do.
While you are down there checking for play at the rear wheel, see if your FD's pivot bearings have any play and need tightening or replacement.
Carlos D.
hank
Basic User

Post by hank »

If you are planning a big trip it might be worth following the advice here from UKGSER forum. the Gs has the same bearing and swingarm http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159180
I'm a rollin stone all alone and lost...............
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Final drive bearing failures are supposed to be rare and I am sure if you could find the stats, they statistically are. I am one of the unfortunate ones, however. Mine failed at about 30K or so and I had the dealer fix them even thought the bike was out of warranty, hoping BMW was help me out. No such luck.

Then at about 68K, I had my local, private, local wrench check out my clutch splines and they were on the verge of failure and surprise, surprise, so was my final drive - again! He told me it appeared they had not been properly shimmed when replace previously. So having a dealer work on your bike is no guarantee of competence.

My advice is not to sweat it too much but keep an eye on the play and smoothness of the rear wheel. I discovered mine on a trip the first time and made it home but if it progresses too far, the repair, as described above, can be much more expensive.

For the record, I don't think any variety of oil regime, oil type or whatever affects the failure rate at all. I think the entire problem is either faulty metal or faulty installation.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
duckdave
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 580

Post by duckdave »

Ahh, dang it!
Smeared out:

This just seemed like an appropriate place to post these pictures of my FD drain magnet. That's just 3000 miles since last fluid change, folks. Been keeping a close eye in it since there was a bit of smuck on it last time.

For those seeking details: 2004 R1150R 42.5K miles. And I've had a bit o' final drive woes before. My Final Drive Story...
However, this one is different and perhaps a bit more expensive. Guess I better go shopping for some ratchet tie downs and soft ties.

Someone remind me why I like this bike so much?

:badgrin:
-duckdave

'04 R1150R Silver
Little Rock 'n Roll
Double Lifer #580