LED running lights

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

LED running lights

Post by towerworker »

I installed a pair of inexpensive LED running lights on my '04 R. I am amazed at the performance of these lights. I paid roughly $25 for these from eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111161172691?ss ... 1439.l2649

I am still waiting on a autoswitch I ordered from A&S Cycle to properly complete my install. In the meantime I wired a temporary switch so I could have the advantage of the lights. I don't need the additional light at night but just want more visibility for daytime. A friend has a set of $600 Clearwater led lights on his GS and they don't seem to be any brighter or that much better made than these I bought from China. These are considered to be 9W lights and are absolutely blinding! I have tried to aim these properly so as to not blind oncoming or traffic I'm following. So far no flashing of high beams from oncoming traffic. My riding buddy says when I turn them on (while following him) the difference is incredible. I'm contemplating ordering a pair of 27W LED's as well. I have to be careful as these are not DOT approved and are marketed as for "off road use", again I only want the daytime visibility. The physical construction seems to be very good. Cast aluminum case and the lens seems to be solid. All the mounting hardware is stainless steel. All in all I'm very impressed.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Rider Rick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 934

Re: LED running lights

Post by Rider Rick »

Yup, LEDs are incredible, lol. I have some from advmonster.com, and they are about 1500 lumens for the spot (Model 30) on the left and flood (44 I think) on the right (no cutoff). I think I saw a raccoon burst into flame one night when it came into view at the edge of the grass, lol. Best of all is the remote relay that allows several configs with the lights, queueing from hi-beam signal, etc. You can't lose putting them on and adjusting correctly, plus with the rheostat control you can run at 50% then full-power when you use your hi-beam :).

Nothing beats getting a long stretch of road in a subdivision and a friend at night to park the car x number of car lengths away, then aim your lights and listen to his response by phone. Tends to let you fine-tune to a T. :)
2004 Red R1150R
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Thanks for that link. I had not yet found a source of a waterproof switch (kinda why I went with the autoswitch) but I really like the idea of the rotary dimmer control. These things are so darn bright there are times I'd like to use them with my low beam but they're otherwise blinding. I have a set of older 55w halogen lamps that I'm going to remove. I ordered a set of 27w LED's to take their place.

Now if I can just get that set of blue LED's to work with my flasher I'll be all set! 8)
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
SteveJJ
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1113

Post by SteveJJ »

I bought some Mondo lights for about $135, and they are great for conspicuity (what a word). They put out a diffuse pattern so don't light up the road much, but sure do light up the overhead signs at night! I haven't been flashed for being too bright either, so they're likely doing the job without over doing it. I mounted them low on the forks where some unused tabs were (I think for the rockster plastic) so they won't 'hide' the turn signals.

I thought that I'd use them for daytime only, but they're on all the time. They might have to be shut off for fog, but we haven't seen any yet.
2003 R1150R
2007 DL650 "weeStrom"