replacement of oem heated handlebar grips

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

zackvis
Basic User

replacement of oem heated handlebar grips

Post by zackvis »

Hi All
I would like to change my handlebar grips .I have heated grips at present ,is it easy to remove my oem ones and slip the new after market ones on.I would like to fit the ProGrip Gel 714 grips are the very fat? has ayone tried them, i found the grip puppies to big for my hands.
You comments will be appreaciated.
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Re: replacement of oem heated handlebar grips

Post by dbrick »

zacvis,

I've never heard of anyone removing the heated grips. Commonly, folks wanting a larger diameter and/or softer grip look for a grip cover, like Grip Puppies, or the Excel Cycle Werkes O-ring kit.

But I imagine the heated grips could be removed. On the throttle side, the heated grip fits tightly onto the throttle tube, the metal piece that rotates on the end of the bar. You'd have to separate the grip from the tube; the heated portion (the rubbery bit your hand grips) might be damaged in doing so. The electrical connection is underneath the plastic cover on the front side of the throttle-side switch assembly, just inboard of the grips.

On the clutch side, the heated grip is fastened to the bar with two self-tapping machine screws, accessed by pulling back the inside lip of the heated grip. The electrical connection is just like the throttle side, under the plastic cover on the front side of the clutch-side switch assembly.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
celticus
Lifer
Donating Member #: 548

Post by celticus »

Mine are going to be ready for replacement sometime in the near future. if someone has done a write up or pictorial I would be interested.
I am keeping the heated part.
What is happening to my skin?
Where is that protection that I needed?
Air can hurt you too
SDMAX2
Basic User

Post by SDMAX2 »

It cost me a lot of money when I hosed the OEM heated grips trying to get cover off and put different diameter grips on; can't be
done without destroying the OEM grips. Get used to OEM size or the "larger diameter" of the foam jobs...I did trim the ends of the foam
grips and they look better. I tell this on myself....it was about a 300 dollar ouch. Take up walking around the block and lose a few pounds; there
are better things to do with time and money. It was the dumbest thing I've done in a while.
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

When my grips became worm I put a set of 'Grip Puppies" on. I was hesitant to use them because of concerns of them holding water when wet and feeling funny because of the added diameter to the grips. Being made of foam I figured they couldn't last long.
I'm happy to report that after 20+K they still look like new and have been no problem at all. The extra diameter was adjusted to in a few miles, they are no problem in the wet (and I've seen a lot of it) and the heated grips work as well as they did before. I do however use heated gloves most of the winter, but I've always used them.

http://www.amazon.com/Grab-On-Grips-Gri ... motorcycle

BTW: Did I say they cost less than a tank of gas.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

SDMAX2 wrote:It cost me a lot of money when I hosed the OEM heated grips trying to get cover off and put different diameter grips on; can't be
done without destroying the OEM grips. Get used to OEM size or the "larger diameter" of the foam jobs...I did trim the ends of the foam
grips and they look better. I tell this on myself....it was about a 300 dollar ouch. Take up walking around the block and lose a few pounds; there
are better things to do with time and money. It was the dumbest thing I've done in a while.
Confession is good for the soul, if not for the pocketbook. Thank you for the warning.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
sandycruz
Basic User

Post by sandycruz »

I found the grip puppies too big for my hands as well. I really like the grips on my R1100S. The 1100 grips have a raised section in the center of the grip that fits into the center of the palm of my (too many years at the computer) carpal tunnel afflicted hands.

So what I did was cut the the grip puppies in thirds and positioned the cut down puppy in the center of the heated grip on the 1200. Now the center of the 1200 grip has a raised section that fits into the center of my palm. This allows a solid grip that feels right and is something like the grips on the 1100. Plus a get three grips for the price on one.

Hope this helps.
David Giannini
Santa Cruz, CA
'07 R1200R Black
'99 R1100SA Black
'93 900SS Red -Sold-
rad
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by rad »

Here is how it is done on the Oil Heads. I don't know if it works the same on the Hex Heads.

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/GS ... ement.html
celticus
Lifer

Post by celticus »

Wow ! Assuming that this link is applicable to Hex Heads that is really nice. Thanks.
Thanks even if it is inapplicable.
Air can hurt you too
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

I'm a big fan of Grip Puppies. Beemerboneyard used to sell them, but apparently they were hard to come by, so my last set was ordered via Amazon.

After about 50,000 miles the foam compresses a bit, and they move around a bit on the grips. Since new ones are a whopping $15 or so - I just put a new set on last spring. I love the increased diameter, and the vibration isolation they provide, and I don't have small hands (or particularly large hands.) I do have some carpal tunnel problems and the GP's help with that immensely (preventing the tight grip required with the stock grips helps.)

Worth trying. If they don't work for you - they are very easy to remove, and bet someone would give you about what you paid for them..
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
celticus
Lifer

Post by celticus »

And the OEM grip heaters work right through the Grip Puppies Huh? If so that sounds like a deal.
Air can hurt you too
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

celticus wrote:And the OEM grip heaters work right through the Grip Puppies Huh? If so that sounds like a deal.
It takes a bit longer for the heat to reach my hands, but with the Wunderlich muffs on my bars in the winter (think HippoHands) - I have to run the grips on low in 30-40F weather. Above that I have to periodically switch them off. The muffs help a lot in making winter riding comfortable.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
BigEasy
Lifer

Post by BigEasy »

celticus wrote:And the OEM grip heaters work right through the Grip Puppies Huh? If so that sounds like a deal.
I have Gip Puppies on the R12 and my Strom it just takes a couple minutes for the heat to breakthrough. What I usually do on a day when I think I'll need them is turn them on low and let them "preheat" the bars and other bits that would be heat sinks. When my hands start to get cold I ratchet up the heat. Works a treat :biggrin:
Play Harrd and Floor It- Stevie Ray Vaughn
Currently:
07 R1200R
07 XB12STT
10 FLHTP
12 Wee Strom ADV