Any Reason Rockster?

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

dragonmojo

Any Reason Rockster?

Post by dragonmojo »

I was just curious about the opinions of those who have experienced both the Rockster and the K1200R. Some I've read felt that getting back on the Rock seemed very antiquated; others felt the K was a tad too refined and missing all the good character flaws.

If the opportunity arises (in a year or 2?), what dilemma might I face on whether to sell the Rock, avoid the K, or have both? :?
big papa
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by big papa »

To me they are 2 different cycles. One a less powerful boxer motor, one a more powerful inline 4. Which are do you like? I have discovered by owning a 1150R, that I am a inline 4, mega HP, less character kind of guy. My buddy went from a Kawi 600 to a Honda RC51. He discovered he wasn't a v-twin kind of guy. Wants a litre bike now. Both have their positives and negatives. Super duper high tech vs. tried and true old school tech.
Bill
'07 R1200RT
riceburner
Basic User

Re: Any Reason Rockster?

Post by riceburner »

dragonmojo wrote:I was just curious about the opinions of those who have experienced both the Rockster and the K1200R. Some I've read felt that getting back on the Rock seemed very antiquated; others felt the K was a tad too refined and missing all the good character flaws.

If the opportunity arises (in a year or 2?), what dilemma might I face on whether to sell the Rock, avoid the K, or have both? :?
I want both. ;)

(and will have both soon... ;) :D:D:D:D:D:D )

Mind you - I'm a Rockster kinda guy, I'm also a 400cc Screamer kinda guy, and a 550 Zephyr retro kinda guy, and a Matchless G80 classic kinda guy, and a trailie-off-road kinda guy..... depends on which personality has dominance that day... :twisted:
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
JCsman
Lifer

Re: Any Reason Rockster?

Post by JCsman »

riceburner wrote: depends on which personality has dominance that day... :twisted:
There are meds for that Riceburner.

I've been happier ever since I threw mine out.
fnfalman
Basic User

Post by fnfalman »

I like the flat twin and the funky look of the Rockster. I could have bought the K1200R to complement the Rockster but after riding it, I wasn't moved emotionally enough to bother with it and bought me an Italian V-twin instead.

Sure, the KR is a powerful bike with some interesting engineering on it, and it looks downright mean with the goods to deliver. But something is amissed for me. I don't dig in-line four and I don't care how powerful they are. The Jap inline liter bikes will whoop the hell out of the KS or KR. The Hayabusa will take it, so is the ZX12, not to mention the new GSXR-1000.

So, if one of these years, I were to go with an in-line four, I'd buy a rice burner. In the meantime, I'll stick with the boxer twin and the lesser horsepower.
Cogito Ergo Vroom - I think therefore I ride.
03 Rockster, 07 Aprilia Tuono R, 07 KTM 990 Adventure
dragonmojo

Twins

Post by dragonmojo »

fnfalman wrote:I like the flat twin and the funky look of the Rockster. I could have bought the K1200R to complement the Rockster but after riding it, I wasn't moved emotionally enough to bother with it and bought me an Italian V-twin instead.

Sure, the KR is a powerful bike with some interesting engineering on it, and it looks downright mean with the goods to deliver. But something is amissed for me. I don't dig in-line four and I don't care how powerful they are. The Jap inline liter bikes will whoop the hell out of the KS or KR. The Hayabusa will take it, so is the ZX12, not to mention the new GSXR-1000.

So, if one of these years, I were to go with an in-line four, I'd buy a rice burner. In the meantime, I'll stick with the boxer twin and the lesser horsepower.
I have a one-car garage and my truck sits in the driveway. Why? Five bikes are squeezed inside... all of them TWINS. I just put an ad in the local paper to get rid of an old Honda CM250 which I never wanted in the first place (an ex-friend screwed me over, a beginner for whom I purchased as his buyer).

I suppose I am definitely a 2-lung type of guy now, having strayed twice, for a UJM ('80 Suzuki GS750E from '80-'83) and a triple ('87 BMW K75S from '87-'99).

The KR's siren song was playing... someone STOP ME! Thanks for sharing your decision, especially after having had the opportunity to compare both rides. The temptation was not inasmuch that I plan to flog the hell out of its capabilities or mine (outside of a track, where can I do this and change my shorts?), but to smugly own some bragging rights.

But then, I don't consider myself a bragging rights type guy. Twins, maybe. :wink:
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

Try the R1200ST, a twin of the first order.
Dean-O
Member #33
dragonmojo

Distance Riding

Post by dragonmojo »

Anyone have a chance to put on some miles on the KR yet? What's it like after putting in a 10-hr ride (or 600 mile day)?
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Big Papa is dead on....they are two different bikes. The Boxer is truly an excellent all around bike, it doesn't do everything to perfection, as a matter of fact no bike does, but it does a lot of things better than most.

On the other hand the new K bike is closer to the likes of the Busa, ZX12 and the Honda Blackbird counterparts, not crotch rockets per say, but bikes with a great deal of get up and go.

The bottom line is that as human beings we will derive far more pleasure from a bike that we can be ridden at 9/10 ths of it's potential than one that we can be ridden at 5 or 6 ths if theirs.

I ride two bikes and have always done so in the interest of keeping both sides of my complex libido at peace......... 8) 8)
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX