ABS Recall???

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

ABS Recall???

Post by Guest »

Here in Italy, just picked up my monthly motorcycle magazine, and there was a small article about a recall on all BMW bikes with ABS brakes. They didn't specify year or models. Just wanted to know if anyone has heard anything???
Yahoo-Boy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Yahoo-Boy »

I seem to remember reading something somewhere (real specific, huh?) about a wreck with fatalities in which the ABS was determined to be the culprit. BMW is supposed to be contacting owners through their dealerships if your bike is a suspect. Sucks for anyone who bought their bike used, huh?
"If you can't say anything nice, at least have the decency to be vague."
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

Good grief you guys, the recall is nothing more than a courtesy check of your brakes to appease an investigation brought about in Europe by a guy that has made it his single minded quest to harrass BMW. I am not aware of an accident with fatilities attributed to the ABS brakes. Bike ownership is updated anytime your Beemer is serviced at aan authorized dealership.
Dean-O
Member #33
Yahoo-Boy
Basic User

Post by Yahoo-Boy »

Now I'm going to have to figure out where I read that...damn curiosity!
PeteMazzella

ABS

Post by PeteMazzella »

I've heard people talking about "gremlins" in the ABS, but am not sure I know what's going on. I've heard about the guy in Germany who is trying to make life uncomfortable for BMW.

Just what is at issue here? My breaks stop me faster than I've ever stopped anything. If there was a complete story on this some where, I'd sure like to read it. It is a bit disconcerting to hear about ABS failure at the worst possible moment.

Does anybody know?

Re: ABS

Post by Guest »

PeteMazzella wrote:I've heard people talking about "gremlins" in the ABS, but am not sure I know what's going on. I've heard about the guy in Germany who is trying to make life uncomfortable for BMW.

Just what is at issue here? My breaks stop me faster than I've ever stopped anything. If there was a complete story on this some where, I'd sure like to read it. It is a bit disconcerting to hear about ABS failure at the worst possible moment.

Does anybody know?
Nobody does know because the story is mixed up with truth, lies, rumours urban myths and Chinese wispers. But things like this take on a life of their own and you will find people who believe and tell you it is the truth. But when pressed they can only say they read it some place or heard it from a friend.

I certainly don't know but what is real. But I do know that I am in Europe and my bike has not been recalled. I also know that for some reason some people are very anti ABS. And I'm not talking about the guys here who do have a valid personal opinion.
478cc
Basic User

Post by 478cc »

Check out this verrrrry Loooong thread on the MCN site

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/nav?page= ... 8151#first

It's getting quite an obsession with the main guy in the posts.
Yahoo-Boy
Basic User

Post by Yahoo-Boy »

Nobody does know because the story is mixed up with truth, lies, rumours urban myths and Chinese wispers. But things like this take on a life of their own and you will find people who believe and tell you it is the truth. But when pressed they can only say they read it some place or heard it from a friend.
I've gone through all my magazines, my web browser's history for the past week, tried to think about what I've watched on TV this past week, and I can't find anything...if I'm mistaken I apologize for perpetuating the rumors.

In fact I have ABS on my Rock and I love it. I can think of three times right off the top of my head that is has positivelty saved my ass. I'm sure I heard or read something about it recently, though.... ](*,)
new2BMW
Lifer

Post by new2BMW »

Man! 8 stories of ABS failure.

Over the years I heard several stories about people getting flat tires. Can you imagine how dangerous that must be? I suppose that technology is bad too. :x :x :x
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

Mark Twain
GuestGuestGuest

ABS

Post by GuestGuestGuest »

8 stories? There are probably a lot more than that. Doubtful that every single BMW owner in the world posts to web forums. Probably more like 1 in 1000 or so. No doubt there are a lot more than 8 ABS system failures worldwide or BMW wouldn't be planning to drop the servos. Let us know how you feel about it when your system fails and you hit a cage or a guardrail.
new2BMW
Lifer

Post by new2BMW »

I'm trading mine next month, but thanks for the sentiments.

My point is that stories don't make an epidemic or a poor design.

How many ABS/servo equipped bikes has BMW sold over the years and how many have failed?

How do those numbers compare to other "normal' mechanical failures such as rear drives, clutches, etc?

How do they compare to mechanical failures of other bike brands?
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

Mark Twain
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

Sounds like Mr GuestGuestGuest is that internet BMW hating whacko nut case posting under another of his many screen names.

This guy is like a nasty virus spreading his bile and venom at every oportunity.

My suggestion to the moderators would be to either deleat or close this thread as has been done on many BMW oriented forums.
Dean-O
Member #33
Badger
Basic User

Post by Badger »

criuising route 355 south of frederick MD and North of Germantown.....crested a hill while day dreaming and encountered stopped traffic.......speed 65 mph or so........no time to stop........hit the front brake hard and STOPPED! way fast........no abs....bike would have been down...abs saved my bacon.......tho the grabby front during slow maneuvering has helped me drop her .......sliding out of a steep up hill parking space .....in "reverse" then attempting a tight circular turn down and into the street...looked down....hit the front ......boom......all in all the abs/electo assist brakes do lack feeling at low speed.....do require hard pulls on the front when the ignition is off.....(say sliding out of the garage before closing the door and starting the engine)......are grabby in front when going slow....(best to use the unlinked back for the slow stuff) but boy do they stop from speed......
dallara

Hey, Dean...

Post by dallara »

Hey, Dean...

I am not going to get myself mired again in the infamous BMW Servo Assist ABS debate debacle, *BUT*...

Though Mr. GuestGuestGuest is not very subtle he does make a valid point about the probable numbers regarding failures. Certainly there is no need to close or delete a thread simply because someone doesn't "tow the party line" here about ABS... In fact, I think some BMW Servo Assist proponents are getting waaaaaaaaaaaaay too sensitive on this whole subject - almost to the point that if one doesn't say only *good* things about Beemer's system one is not supposed to say anything at all.

There are two sides to this subject, and the pro-BMW Servo Assist ABS brigade is most certainly well represented and plenty vocal. Do you really want to censor some people's opinion simply because they don't agree with the BMW Servo Party?

Cheers!

Dallara
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

Dallara,

I think that Dean's point was that Mr. GuestGuestGuest could be the originator of similar posts on different sites, and then use his own postings as proof that there are a gazillion problems.

Here is what I heard from a local dealeer about the ABS/servo check that the dealers are going to do. I heard that most of this problem stems from a guy that had a problem with the brakes at a track day on his 1150RT. This fellow became relentless indemanding something from BMW. So they are going to check any bikes that have the system to make sure it is running properly.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
Gord
Lifer

Post by Gord »

Have there never been brake failures in non-ABS bikes?

Is it too much to expect that we get some statistical analysis on injuries and accidents attributed to braking that are ABS versus non-ABS related?

Without some statistical measures, the ABS vs non-ABS issue will continue to be purely am emotional argument.
Gord

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. - No. 6
dallara

For Biff's R...

Post by dallara »

Hey, Biff...

I fully understand what you are saying, but Dean was clearly suggesting that this thread be "closed" or "deleted", and in my mind that is simply wrong wrong, wrong...

(but remember, Dean... I *LUV* ya', man! :lol: )

Nobody in this thread has threatened anybody, use profanity, insulted anyone, or even offered up any sort of false or misleading information - so in my mind there is no call for closing or deletion of the thread. Nobody was even being sarcastic until New2BMW fired back at Guest...

(and remember, New2BMW... I luv ya'. too... :lol: )

You, or anyone else for that matter, may not agree with certain posters, just as I don't necessarily agree with the sea of BMW Servo Assist faithful, but simply not agreeing with somebody's viewpoint is no valid reason for censorship, period. Personally, I abhor censorship of any kind, and so perhaps I am a bit over-the-top on this, but...

I've seen far worse threads than this on this board, and I think censoring what amounts to a very, very tame thread could set a truly bad precedent.

Just my two cents...

Cheers!

Dallara
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I agree Dallara.
I've seen far worse threads than this on this board, and I think censoring what amounts to a very, very tame thread could set a truly bad precedent.
BUT, It may not be a bad idea to limit guests from starting threads. It doesn't cost anything to register.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
dallara

Well, Biff...

Post by dallara »

Well, Biff...

I won't go there. Not so very long ago I was chastised by some here for making a similar suggestion in another thread... Oddly enough, an ABS thread at that.

Of course, I was suggesting that a pro-ABS guest register, not an anti-ABS guest... :wink:

Cheers!

Dallara