Got my roadster!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

martinjmpr
Basic User

Got my roadster!

Post by martinjmpr »

Picked her up after work yesterday. Ad said she was an '04 but when we got there and pulled out the title it turned out to be an '02 (single spark.)

I have to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE the color! Actually, I've always thought yellow and black was a great color combo for bike.

Here she is on the trailer heading home last night:

Safely in the garage:

Unfortunately, I had a minor mishap: I was able to drive 75 miles from the seller's home North of Fort Collins, CO, all the way to near my house, then literally 4 blocks from home, as I was rounding a left turn, the bike flopped over onto its left side! :evil:

Not sure what happened, but I quickly drove home and got it upright. The only damage seems to be a small scratch on the left engine case (it was more like a slow slide than a 'drop' and I think the straps slowed down its descent.)

Since it's a nice weekend I'll probably fire her up and maybe ride around the block just to get a feel for her. She's well farkled with PIAA lights, a battery tender, the large BMW System Cases and the windshield. Also has highway pegs - got to decide whether I'm going to keep those or not.

Anyway, now that I'm "one of you" you'll probably see me a lot more active here on the boards!
Martin AKA Zapp Branigan (on ADV)
Littleton, CO
2002 R1150R, 2002 Triumph Bonneville 790
tiPirate
Basic User

Re: Got my roadster!

Post by tiPirate »

That's a great looking machine!
sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Post by sstein »

Love the yellow color. Congrats. If you are on the taller side, I would definitely recommend keeping the highway pegs. Great to stretch out the knees on a longer ride. Bummer about the flop-over. You've officially marked her...
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
Roy1150R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 1133

Post by Roy1150R »

Nice!
2002 R1150R
milehighboater
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by milehighboater »

Hey I'm down in centennial, if you have any questions or just want to ride just pm me. Congrats on the new bike.
martinjmpr
Basic User

Post by martinjmpr »

Thanks! Took her out this weekend since the weather is nice - WOW what a bike! ( Remember I just came off a Scrambler that puts out 50hp on a good day.)

Sweet ride! I freaked out a bit when the "brake failure" light lit up (thought I had damaged it and was looking at an expensive ABS repair) but found out (reading the manual) that it's normal for the light to flash until you put it in gear and start moving.

The seating position will take some getting used to, though. It's by far the "sportiest" riding position I've ever had on a bike.
Littleton, CO
Zaasu
Basic User

Post by Zaasu »

I have the same color combo. I think it is by far the best color BMW offered in the 1150R.
It has taken about 6 months to get to love the bike (I came off a R1100RS). Great choice.
2002, R1150R. Yellow with gray graphics. She is named Butter Cup!
Western North Carolins, NC, USA
martinjmpr
Basic User

Post by martinjmpr »

Got her registered and insured so now I'm "legal" to ride. :D

Here's some nicer shots than my cell phone pics posted above:

I love the dingle view. Makes me feel like a fighter pilot! :mrgreen:

Cool thing about buying a used bike is that it's already got all the accessories: Remus exhaust (love the "roar!") bark busters, PIAA lights, highway pegs (which may come off - they don't seem very comfortable to use), windshield (not sure of the make/model) and it appears that the original owner fully optioned the bike out: System cases, heated grips and ABS.

Yeah, I think I'm going to enjoy this bike. I will miss drawing attention at fuel stops like I did with the Triumph but the riding experience on this bike is amazing, I have to say.
Littleton, CO
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

ah... the Bumble Bee!

congrats.

My buddy Mike (Mr C) has one, he has piled on the miles with it.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
martinjmpr
Basic User

Post by martinjmpr »

sjbmw wrote:ah... the Bumble Bee!

I call it "the Aggressive Bee" :lol:

Reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qp_nMntvR8
Littleton, CO
turrider
Basic User

Post by turrider »

Great bike ! Seeing the scratch on cylinder head i will suggest to install protectors for those cylinder heads. May i ask the brand of the hand protectors ?
2005 R1150R
1953 R51/3
1951 R25
1985 Vespa PX 200e
"eppur si muove"
martinjmpr
Basic User

Post by martinjmpr »

turrider wrote:Great bike ! Seeing the scratch on cylinder head i will suggest to install protectors for those cylinder heads. May i ask the brand of the hand protectors ?
No idea, they were on the bike when I got them. They look like Bark Busters to me, but then again I'm not an expert.
Littleton, CO
Soliton

Post by Soliton »

The hand protectors look like the standard BMW ones off an R1150GS. They go straight on. I have the same type on my bike. They are magic in the winter. You will find that your grip heaters are more effective but better still they keep the wind off your thumbs. I find them a bit hot in the summer though (when it hits 42 degrees C you want every bit of cool you can get.)

Rs

Sol
"Better to live rich than die rich."
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

When you lash this bike down on a trailer or truck, you need to tie the front off on the telelever bars on each side. Not by the handlebars. Not saying that is why it tipped over.

Just something I learned way back when I hauled my bike to Texas and Arkansas when the wife didn't want to ride.
turrider
Basic User

Post by turrider »

Thanks guys. I read articles what will fit to a r1150r. German distributor says no references were put as accessories for this model. Do you need to rework 1150gs ones ?
2005 R1150R
1953 R51/3
1951 R25
1985 Vespa PX 200e
"eppur si muove"