Turn signal extensions?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

kbnesbitt
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Turn signal extensions?

Post by kbnesbitt »

I am getting close to the time when I can access my bike and install my new (to me) Parabellum Scout fairing. When I have held the fairing up to the bike, though, it looks as if the turn signals will be partially covered. Is this an issue, or is there a way to shim the signals out for additional visibility?
Ken Nesbitt

2007 R1200R
1973 Honda CB350 (long term project)
Steve H.
Basic User

Re: Turn signal extensions?

Post by Steve H. »

Hi,kbnesbitt!

I have a Wunderlich trophy on my bike, wich is pretty much similar to your Parabelum.There should bee an instruction how to move turn signals onto the fairings brackets.It is easy,no exra wireing at all.
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

My friend Rad has a Parabellum on his R. Maybe he'll chime in.

His bike's turn signals seem at first glance to be a little shrouded, but after riding with him I think they show just fine.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by mogu83 »

I also have a Parabellum and have tried to figure out how to move the lights out about an inch. Other Beemers use the same lights but the stalks are the same length. Some windshield maker made some sort of extension but it looked cobbed up. Good luck - I kind of gave up looking.
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
dbrick
Lifer
Donating Member #: 902

Post by dbrick »

I didn't like the clear signals and gasped at BMW's price for replacement (one needs the reflector, bulb, and lens for each corner), so I bought a pair of these knockoffs from eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F800S-F-Bra ... 4f&vxp=mtr. They bolted right up.

The knockoffs' stalks are shorter, but are the same diameter and style as the stockers, with the same hole (for the wires) down the middle. With some metal tubing that'd press-fit into the hole for the wires, one could cut the stock stalks and insert a piece of the stalk from these much cheaper replacements, making each stalk-to-stalk connection (two per lamp) with the tubing inside.

Between the base and the swelling for the reflector on the knockoffs, there's about 3/4" of stalk. The stock front stalks have more than 2" of useable length. When I was shopping late last year, I found several listings for BMW turn signals (with clear lenses - doesn't matter if you're going to cut them up) that folks like me were trying to unload. If one cut the base-plus-stalk off one turn signal assembly, and cut the reflector/bulb/lens-plus-stalk off another, and put those together, there'd be only one joint (given support by the tubing) and the resulting stalk would be significantly longer than stock.
David Brick
Santa Cruz CA
2007 R1200R
priors: R50, R50, R69, R69S, R65, FJ1200, K75S, R1100RSL
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

Damn you're good, Dbrick!
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
Newportcycle
Basic User

Post by Newportcycle »

I have a parabellum scout, I dont see a need to extend my signal stalks. They maybe a little shrouded off center front, Im not entirely sure, but I believe that folks who dont see them now would not have seen them before.
kbnesbitt
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by kbnesbitt »

I solved my problem with the turn signal length.

I had started to remove the bits for the fairing conversion, and decided to take off the turn signals; I can always fabricate a bracket if need be. I needed a 35 mm spacer on both signals in order to work with the fairing. In order to get a better idea of the construction, I popped on to the Bob's BMW site to check out the parts schematic. Imagine my surprise when I found three different shafts listed for the R. The ones which came with the bike were the short ones, sizes being extra-short, short, and long. Went to the dealer today with the part number (63 13 766 7768), and they actually had them in stock. I did a test install, and I can see most of the turn signal now.

Life is good (apart from the mile-long stretch of mud and ice leading out to the main road...soon...)
Ken Nesbitt

2007 R1200R
1973 Honda CB350 (long term project)