Howdy from a new Member in Central PA

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Fauster
Basic User

Howdy from a new Member in Central PA

Post by Fauster »

I believe it was October of 2003. While flying from O'Hare to Hong Kong, I watched movie after movie to pass the 15 hours of flight time. One of the flicks was Paycheck starring Ben Affleck. During a chase scene, he jumped onto an R1150R Rockster with Uma Thurman riding pillion and sped away from the bad guys. I thought to myself "Man, that is one bad-ass looking bike!"

July of 2005 - I drank a big sip of the BMW Kool-Aid and picked up a new F650GS to replace my Yamaha XT-350. For the past nine years, this bike has done it all.

Touring

Dual sporting

Flat Tracking

Swimming

Through all of these years, I still remembered the Rockster and finally had the opportunity to sit on one at the 2011 Bloomsburg MOA Rally. It felt great so I knew it was just a matter of time until I'd add one to the stable. I just missed out on a slightly rough Edition 80 last summer at Bob's BMW and the regret made me realize that I REALLY wanted a Rockster. When I saw a lime green version on ADVRider's flea market, I followed the ad for a while and finally pulled the trigger on this sweet bike with only 16,000 miles on the clock.

The hard part is the waiting. The bike is down near New Orleans and I have a ride scheduled starting on 4/21 that will take me within 45 minutes of the owner's place. After my on-site inspection, we're completing the sale and having the bike shipped up to PA. I should have it in the garage by mid-May. That will give me plenty of time to read up on the information here and get prepared for various maintenance and upgrade projects. Looking forward to hanging out here and learning / contributing.
2004 Citrus Green Rockster, 2005 F650GS
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Howdy from a new Member in Central PA

Post by sweatmark »

Welcome to the group!

Once you get used to sitting behind that big, wide R1150R tank, you will discover the Rockster's "zone": spirited road rides under real world (30-80 MPH) conditions, both light or loaded for road trips. Just don't take the Rockster swimming.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Nice!

Looks like you've got the Touring pannier lids there as well? Are you getting 'normal' lids as part of the deal?

Does the previous owner still have the 'tea-tray' pillion plate as well? (always worth asking).

Hope you enjoy it!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Fauster
Basic User

Post by Fauster »

I'm getting both sets of case lids with the deal. No pillion plate.

The seller just sent me more pictures today. The waiting is getting harder and harder...
Fauster
Basic User

Post by Fauster »

I visited the previous owner during my ride to New Orleans and surprise - he had the tea tray pillion plate! It's shipping up with the small cases.

Bike is only 100 miles from my place - should be delivered any day now. I had to put a "Do not deliver before 5/4" request with the shipper since I just got home on Sunday evening. 3704 miles on the ol' F during this trip. Now it's time to give the thumper a rest and try out the Rockster boxer.
jobooth321
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by jobooth321 »

Awesome! I'm jealous since mine is parked with a blown clutch.
"A man's only as old as the woman he feels." Groucho Marx
Fauster
Basic User

Post by Fauster »

Bike arrived today after a two week journey from Louisiana. I'm happy with the condition and think I got a good deal.

Rode it over to the title office and wow... it's a completely different bike than the F. I was just scraping pegs with the F on the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway last week and it's going to take some time to get that comfortable with the Rockster.

Pictures this weekend.
skylarmav1
Basic User

Post by skylarmav1 »

Hey central pa member. I am also new and in central pa. I don't have any pics up yet however. Just got my 02 r1150r delivered from Florida two weeks ago. Been learning her nuances and how to treat her right. Amazing bike. I'm in New Cumberland area with another buddy with RS-you should join us for a ride.
Fauster
Basic User

Post by Fauster »

skylarmav1 wrote:Hey central pa member. I am also new and in central pa. I don't have any pics up yet however. Just got my 02 r1150r delivered from Florida two weeks ago. Been learning her nuances and how to treat her right. Amazing bike. I'm in New Cumberland area with another buddy with RS-you should join us for a ride.
Just over Reeser's Summit in the Greater Metropolitan Etters Area. Unfortunately, I have a pile of weekend chores lined up through the middle of June so my riding time is limited to work and errands. Rode the Rockster to work today and had to careful to keep it under 80. Smooth as silk... :D
skylarmav1
Basic User

Post by skylarmav1 »

No prob. Funny-we're almost neighbors (In the big cosmos) I live right down from Redland High School-mailing address is New Cumberland. We'll probably see each other on the road. Cya.
Mike
Fauster
Basic User

Post by Fauster »

Time for gratuitous driveway pictures.

I've had some time to dig into the bike a little and it's definitely not a concours example of a Rockster - it's a rider's bike. That suits my personality. It has a Sargent seat and there's been some 'ectomy' work done as I found some fittings under the seat with no lines attached. There was also a hose (battery vent tube?) with a white plastic fitting that was tucked under the seat. I'll have to take some pictures this weekend and quiz the Rockster Collective to figure out what's missing / modified.

$4,500 for the bike, including touring and city lids for the cases and the 'tea tray' plate. The full 12K service was performed at the dealership so I should have miles of riding before any major maintenance requirements. I'm a happy owner / rider! :D
Scota
Basic User

Post by Scota »

Congratulations on the purchase of this motorcycle....