Just bought a Rockster what do I need to know?

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

cgguy09
Basic User

Just bought a Rockster what do I need to know?

Post by cgguy09 »

Hey boys,
Its time to come out of the shadows...I've been creeping on this and a couple other forums like mad clown for the better part of 4 years. I wanted to get into riding so I bought a cheap cb350 and turned it into a cafe racer, but I've always loved the BMW bikes. The R1150R Rockster was the bike that made me want a motorcycle. & today I just bought one.

The bike I bought is an 04' BMW R1150R Rockster ABS. ~13,000 miles on it, clean title, from a gent up in CT who claims to have taken expert care of it. I plan to have it shipped to Missouri (my current local) when I get in touch with him. Here is his description:

"This is probably the best example of the R1150R Rockster you will find. The bike is flawless. I bought it with 5k miles and have enjoyed it for 5years. It now has 13k miles. I have used only Amsoil synthetics in the motor, tranny and final drive since I bought it. Last year I added Wilbur’s front and rear shocks ($1400 upgrade) but that was well worth the money. Bike handles and rides much, much better. I also added a quick release tank bag and a Luminar windscreen. The bike also comes with a set of BMW side bags , which I never used.

The Rocksters were only made a few years, but are basically an R1150R with an attitude. BMW reduced the gear ratio in the final drive , so it’s a little snappier than the plain R bike , added some carbon fiber parts , and gave it an eye catching paint scheme with powder coated wheels. I get comments on it everywhere I ride. This is a dual spark motor (very smooth) and it has ABS. (wouldn’t ride a bike without that !)

The bike is PERFECT and needs nothing , so I won’t “give it away”. But if you are interested, come and try it, you won’t be disappointed."

I was curious if you gentlemen could tell me what the hell I just got into...(other than the best looking bike BMW has ever made) What should I ask about/ what to look for/ and what to do when I get it?

I figure I should look into oil change, air filter change, brakes (maybe fluid or pads...maybe just an inspection) tires, lights (signal and head)

Also, what things should I look for as far as basic maintenance? I'm pretty comfortable around working around a bike. & I'm a fairly competent mechanic around cars. Although, I'll admit the CB350 is about as simple as the come. I've never worked with fuel injectors, modern disc brakes, and the like. If I need to go to a shop, just tell me. But I have a ton of tools and know how to use them.

I won't say I'm a "noob" but perhaps more at the sophomore level (a wise fool).

Guys any help you want to give I'm open to. The link to the bike is below.

Thanks team.

cFogs out
BT
NNNN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R1150R-Rock ... 7675.l2557
Andrew s
Basic User

Re: Just bought a Rockster what do I need to know?

Post by Andrew s »

Really nice bike and welcome.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

cut the cable ties around the headstock (the ones that hold all the wiring in close).

Fluids change.

Tyres

Check the bulbs - the numberplate light is always blowing on mine (ymmv - don't know if it's a legal thing in the US or not).

Ride it like you stole it.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

...and keep an ear out for clutch spline problems. At 20K miles, split the bike in half and follow a multitude of forum tips on what to do to keep that infamous dry clutch in good shape.
Meanwhile, enjoy. Remember, the Rockster was the precursor of BMW's latest flagship roadster, the NineT. But built to a quality standard, not down to an over-inflated profiteering price. Here in Spain the new bike costs around twenty grand.
AL in s.e. Spain
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike
P_Jensen
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1130

Post by P_Jensen »

The differences in componets between the Rockster and the R are
Instruments (R1100S)
Headlights (R1150GS)
Front & rear Suspension (R1100S)
Handlebars (Lower)
and they mostly came with the "Sport" transmission, 6th gear is 0.80 vs 0.70 in the "touring" transmission final drive ratios are the same.
P Jensen
14 R1200R
Montego Blue
NW VT USA
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

P_Jensen wrote:The differences in componets between the Rockster and the R are
Instruments (R1100S)
Headlights (R1150GS)
Handlebars (Lower)
and they mostly came with the "Sport" transmission, 6th gear is 0.80 vs 0.70 in the "touring" transmission final drive ratios are the same.

Oddly - the front and rear shocks are actually R850R items. (discovered this only this year).
Rocksters also have :
stainless steel braided brake hoses as standard.
5.5" wide rear wheel as standard (IIRC the R has a 5")
'EVO' (325mm discs) as standard (IIRC the early R doesn't have the larger discs)
The headlamp support brackets, and eyebrow are unique to the Rockster.
The front mudguard is a slightly later version of the R1100S front mudguard.

IIRC the Rockster was the only bike supplied with the silver 'tea-tray' pillion seat replacement. (of which I have 3 - why?????)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
aretoo
Basic User

Post by aretoo »

I'll buy one of those pillions if you are so inclined.

I assume that they fit the 1150r as well, and I have NO interest in ever going 2 up.
rockstercliff

Post by rockstercliff »

You may want to look into aux. lights if you plan to do a lot of nite riding, the headlights are pathetic. It may just be me, at 63 I don't see as good as in the past, but buying a set of PIAA 1100X, is one of the smarter thing I have done. Love my Rockster, only new bike I ever bought, replace the plastic quick connect fuel fittings if the previous owner hasn't. And cut the tie wraps in the head area. Letv me know if you need the part numbers and vendor for the stainless fuel fittings.
rockstercliff

Post by rockstercliff »

Curious why you don't do a "fly and ride". Or rent a van and go get it, I have done that in the past.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

rockstercliff wrote:You may want to look into aux. lights if you plan to do a lot of nite riding, the headlights are pathetic. It may just be me, at 63 I don't see as good as in the past, but buying a set of PIAA 1100X, is one of the smarter thing I have done.
I've swapped to Hella FF50s - MUCH better beam spread (and cheaper!), after my 1100Xs got smashed up.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

aretoo wrote:I'll buy one of those pillions if you are so inclined.

I assume that they fit the 1150r as well, and I have NO interest in ever going 2 up.

They're not in mint condition, I warn you now.

Where are you? (UK/US?)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

Instruments (R1100S)
Headlights (R1150GS)
Handlebars (Lower)
Rockster has the .7 sixth gear which makes a couple of 100 rpm difference( lower for the rock) at...say 80 than the .8 that the roadster has. Rear drive is the same. Oddly enough the milage (gas) is near the same for stock machines.

mike
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
vwdoctor
Basic User

Post by vwdoctor »

Unlike the standard R1150, you can not remove the rear wheel without removing the muffler. I guess that 1/2 inch is the difference. Another reason I am running without a muffler.
04 Rockster (non ABS, single spark)
91 K75RT

I want to be unique, just like everybody else.
kirby

Post by kirby »

I run a 170/60 on the rear and ...I can remove/install without muffler problems. When I ran a 180/55 I would deflate the tire and could remove it and when in stalling (deflated again) it was a bitch to get on.
BTW the machine handles better with a 170/60.

My .02
mike :-)
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
kirby

Post by kirby »

riceburner wrote:
Instruments (R1100S)
Headlights (R1150GS)
Handlebars (Lower)

Oddly - the front and rear shocks are actually R850R items. (discovered this only this year).
Rocksters also have :
'EVO' (325mm discs) as standard (IIRC the early R doesn't have the larger discs)

IIRC the Rockster was the only bike supplied with the silver 'tea-tray' pillion seat replacement. (of which I have 3 - why?????)
My Rockster came (bought new in "04) with 320mm discs..no ABS. My brocure lists the '04 Rockster with ABS as having 320mm EVO disc.(caliper)
I was curious so mesured mine and they are indeed 320 mm, so yours has 325? what other BMW of that time had 325mm?
My 1100s had 305mm.

Also the shocks are the same lengthas the 850 but I think the internals are quite different on the rear, but not sure about the front. Olins list a different part # for the 850 and the rockster..at least when I bought my ohlins.
Its (rock) a keeper and a strange collection of parts that actually works well.

mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

kirby wrote:
riceburner wrote:
Instruments (R1100S)
Headlights (R1150GS)
Handlebars (Lower)

Rocksters also have :

My Rockster came (bought new in "04) with 320mm discs..no ABS. My brocure lists the '04 Rockster with ABS as having 320mm EVO disc.(caliper)
I was curious so mesured mine and they are indeed 320 mm, so yours has 325? what other BMW of that time had 325mm?
My 1100s had 305mm.

Also the shocks are the same lengthas the 850 but I think the internals are quite different on the rear, but not sure about the front. Olins list a different part # for the 850 and the rockster..at least when I bought my ohlins.
Its (rock) a keeper and a strange collection of parts that actually works well.

I'm probably putting down 325 when I mean 320...
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
kirby

Post by kirby »

mystery solved!!!
thanks!
Merry Christmas

mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
DKSTRWER
Basic User

Post by DKSTRWER »

The two most critical issues are the cam chain tensioner and the clutch to transmission input spline design flaws. Either one can turn your R1150R/ROCKSTER into an expensive paperweight with no warning. First go to:

http://www.affordablebeemerservices.com/bmwthoughts/

Cam chain tensioner upgrade:
http://www.advrider.com/Wisdom/cam.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +tensioner

R1150 Spline Lube Pictorial:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314290

This is vid of of the procedure JUST to get to the splines! (It is possible to remove the entire driveline in one piece)
RevisedRbikesClutchFilmNov14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HymmP34ipOA

Then scour through these vids:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRZEzm ... nVKe7d-wIg

Maintenance on oilheads is horrendously expensive and time consuming relative to most other makes, **especially 2004 and later HD Sporsters which require a small fraction of the maintenance and repairs with far less issues and immeasurably better company support compared to BMW! Sadly BMW does not stand behind their faulty design issues.

**** That being said, the good news is Rocksters are cult classics increasing in value as per actual prices paid. These are "Prices Paid Actual Sales Values" (Last 6 months) Notice Avg $4662 includes every transfer of title, from salvage to trade-ins, to pristine, to the 4 Ben Affleck "Paycheck" movie bikes. Scrolling over the bar chart you will see: 4 sold in the $5,000 price range. 26 sold in the $7,500 range. 17 in the $10,000 range. 14 in the $12,500 range. 6 in the $15,000 range. and 4 in the $17,500 range.
http://www.pricehub.com/price/bmw/r1150r-rockster

So, keep yours up well and likely make a hefty profit when you sell. Two years ago you could buy a good low miles Rockster for $3800 to $4200. Rocksters at this moment are bit like Velocette Thruxtons were in the 1970's. When no one wanted them I bought a good one for $650, later sold it for $15,000. One exceptional example recently went for $58,000. Typical last-year models in prime condition bring $30,000+. Rocksters are low-production investment bikes. Less than 7,000 were made. Few came to the USA. Most of what you see for sale are high mileage beaters. You are fortunate to have found what appears to be a good one. Take good care of it and it will provide you with pleasure now and help with a more comfortable retirement later in life.

There are two ways to look at it; consumers merely consume a product and use it up losing money all along the way, while investors MAKE money. With a good low miles Rockster you are in a position to choose how you want to play it out.
Roger 04 rt

Post by Roger 04 rt »

Here are some useful things to know about the '04 R1150 (mine is an RT)

I love the motorcycle and think that you will probably like the 2004 R1150R. Here are a list of things that I've had to do to my 35K mi. bike, you should ask the owner if he/she has. Many of them need these things fixed or replaced:

1) In-Tank Fuel hoses: Many, not all, have deteriorated, probably due to the addition of ethanol to fuel. Cost of parts from Beemerboneyard, about $25, plus another $25 or so for in-tank vent hoses from BMW.

2) Primary Plug Stick Coils: Very hard to diagnose problems as they deteriorate. Usually you don't know until one fails. Cost from BB for a pair, ~$250.

3) Fuel-line quick disconnects: The original plastic male half on each pair can fail. Cost for two pairs of connectors from BB, ~$75.

4) Hall Effect Sensor for ignition: On the 2004 R1150, these don't seem to fail as much as older bikes. I eventually replaced mine but you can probably wait until (possibly) there is a problem. Cost ~$230.

5) Clutch Hub to Transmission Input Shaft Spline Failure: My understanding is that these don't fail so often on the 2004 R1150. I checked mine through the starter opening in the transmission housing and have minimal play. You should check unless the owner can show you records for a spline lube or inspection report. Cost to repair in the slight chance it is needed. I don't have an accurate cost estimate but it takes 10-15 hours (I think) of labor and depending on what is replaced can be $500 to ?? in parts.

I don't mean to scare you, as I said I think these are great bikes.
cgguy09
Basic User

Post by cgguy09 »

Hey guys,
I meant to thank you a long time ago! I've done all the pieces of maintence you tossed out there, minus the Spline Lube...I'm dreading that day. It's been 13 months since I got the bike and in that time I've put about ~6k on the bike changed out all the fluids, replaced the cam chain, gap'd the valves, etc etc etc.
Really appreciate the support.

The bike is awesome by the way. I love every second on it. It hasn't given me any problems what-so-ever. I'm looking forward to the next 150k on the bike!
By the way if anyone is riding up in Eastern CT, I'm in New London for the Summer. Give me a shout out.