Booster plug

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

abambach
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 992

Booster plug

Post by abambach »

I know, many old reviews, but what has been the recent rider experience?
1. I want to hear from oldies, experienced users, 1-2 years on
2. nubies (sp?), either just got one or tried one. Most importantly, why don"t you own one?
3. why should i buy one, it is not about the $$, does it really make a difference?

lets hear it from the community. Thanks...AB
--------------------------------
2009 R1200R
ammolab
Lifer

Re: Booster plug

Post by ammolab »

Had one almost 3 years... It seemed to help when installed so it remains to this day. No problems noted after 17,000 miles.
Red 2011 R1200R
Blue 1986 K75C
Steel Grey 2002 M Coupe
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

Had mine almost 2 years. Worked from the start and unless I'm imagining it, seems to have gotten better over time.

Very smooth and I can run smooth in 1st gear if I want, no need to go to 2nd to eliminate the surge.
Gracehall1980
Basic User

Post by Gracehall1980 »

I added one over the winter. Appears to have helped with low speed surging.
hankth
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by hankth »

What is the gas mileage penalty, if any??
1200bc
Basic User

Post by 1200bc »

You won't notice any difference with gas usage. Not really a big deal with a motorcycle is it? I bought the other make of plug in unit. Seems to smooth low speed performance.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

I installed the booster plug two years ago to my new bike.After ca.5000mls disconnected it didn't noticed any bigger difference.Running smoot,assuming I got used to the bike.Still on the bike disconnected.Fuel economy didn't changed significally.
Roger 04 rt

Post by Roger 04 rt »

The BMSK fueling and ignition computer has a lot of capabilities that aren't apparent in every day riding. By using an O2 sensor to measure the results of combustion hundreds of times per second, it has the ability to recognize a broad range of potential fueling errors. Put in fuel with 10% ethanol and it adds 4% to the fueling everywhere. One of the injectors gets a little dirty, it compensates and balances the two cylinders. A sensor is out of tolerance or the air filter inhales a lot of dust, not an issue. What the BMSK does is to compare the amount of fuel from its calculations (Open Loop) to the amount of fuel that satisfies the O2 sensor (Closed Loop). Whatever differences it sees between the two fueling amounts, get memorized as a correction--mixture adaptations.

The BoosterPlug creates a 6 degree lower air temp that the BMSK eventually sees as a error that it learns about and corrects. It doesn't know where the error has come from but the BMSK knows that its calculation always result in too much fuel ... And it learns the amount and reduces its calculations everywhere.

If you want to permanently add more fuel you have to either disconnect the O2 sensors (not a great idea) or shift the switching point of the O2 sensor with something like an LC-2 or AF-XIED. Most BMW motorcycles react great to 4-6% more fuel added this way.
1200bc
Basic User

Post by 1200bc »

So, you are saying that the booster plug, or similar unit, is not going to contribute to more fuel being added after a certain amount of time?
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

1200bc wrote:So, you are saying that the booster plug, or similar unit, is not going to contribute to more fuel being added after a certain amount of time?
That's exactly what he's saying, and I've seen the plots that prove it. The booster plug makes an initial improvement, which goes away with time.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
xprof
Lifer
Donating Member #: 617

Post by xprof »

So what do you predict will happen when one removes the booster plug?
Mike in SB

2009 R1200R all black
ex1970 BMW R60/5
ex1959 BMW pre-slash R60
ex Matchless G80CS
Roger 04 rt

Post by Roger 04 rt »

That's a very good question. If it has been on for a while, your motor will run lean, possibly poorly, leading one to the conclusion that it was providing a benefit. Then it will adapt back to where it should be.
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

I disconnected the booster plug.What is happened after?...Nothing.
Shakey
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 961

Post by Shakey »

Beg to differ. My bike has its First uK annual MOT test soon and this includes exhaust emissions. I was recently trying to track down a loose wire on my aux lights so while I was under the tank I disconnected the plug ready for the test.
On the two subsequent rides, the snatchiness of the throttle at low revs has been very noticeable again so I'll be very happy when I can reconnect it after the test!
I'd say the plug has been fitted for at least two years.
Martin
Pas D'elle yeux rhone que nous!
badbs101
Basic User

Post by badbs101 »

Roger or Deilenberger.

I may be a bit skeptical because I know you have a product to sell. Do you have links to the test graphs/charts that show how the BMW system learns and adapts to the Booster Plug or similar product? How many key cycles or miles does it take for the system to adapt out the Booster Plug? Similarily, if I remove my Accelerator Module, how many key cycles or miles will it take for the system to discover it's not there and reset? I assume you have some data to back up your assertions, preferrably with easy to understand charts or data points.

Your product does seem intriguing and undoubtedly works better, but as it is I am pretty well satisfied with the Accelerator Module that I have. If it's been adapted out, it doesn't feel like it to me but, assuming it's been gradual, I may not notice. As it is, your product is on a long wish list of things that I want.
Barry - Minnesota

'12 R1200R Classic
'05 F650GS
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

badbs101 wrote:Roger or Deilenberger.

I may be a bit skeptical because I know you have a product to sell. Do you have links to the test graphs/charts that show how the BMW system learns and adapts to the Booster Plug or similar product? How many key cycles or miles does it take for the system to adapt out the Booster Plug? Similarily, if I remove my Accelerator Module, how many key cycles or miles will it take for the system to discover it's not there and reset? I assume you have some data to back up your assertions, preferrably with easy to understand charts or data points.

Your product does seem intriguing and undoubtedly works better, but as it is I am pretty well satisfied with the Accelerator Module that I have. If it's been adapted out, it doesn't feel like it to me but, assuming it's been gradual, I may not notice. As it is, your product is on a long wish list of things that I want.
Dear Barry..

I have no product to sell. I have discussed this with Roger - and from the point of BMS-K knowledge - I think it's hard to beat the research he's done. He has posted on this extensively on other sites, including the graphs and plots you're asking for.

FWIW - the BMS-K engine module on the R1200xx bikes is smart enough to detect when an O2 sensor isn't responding well, and go into a mode where it uses the working O2 sensor to provide mixture information - even for the cylinder where the sensors has gone jumblies up. Roger tracked this down when we were trying to figure out a problem I had with a strange harmonic in 5th gear and a crappy idle - both of which were caused by the failed O2 sensor, and the BMS-K checking to see if the O2 sensor had come back to life.

I'm sure Roger will point you to the graphs.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Roger 04 rt

Post by Roger 04 rt »

Barry, Although I helped Nightrider to develop its AF-XIED for BMW, I don't sell it (or the LC-1 from Innovate Motorsports). You can buy it from Beemerboneyard or Nightrider.

Here is the link to a few pages I wrote on how the BMSK and Motronic learn about fueling errors and develop long term fuel trims to fix those errors: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... st23116079. The explanation of Mixture Adaptation and measurements run for several too-technical pages.

Here is the result, several pages later in the above thread (13.8:1 is my target fueling by use of an LC-1). What it shows is the initial open loop mixture (due to a fuel pressure increase and a BoosterPlug) results in an AFR of 12.1:1 at first (quite rich) but after after 30 minutes of riding, the ECU has corrected the mixture such that the Open Loop AFR is 13.7:1, almost exactly the Closed Loop target. (Had I set a Closed Loop target of 14.7:1 that would have been the result after 30 minutes.)

My Motronic removed all the fuel I added with a BoosterPlug and a fuel pressure increase and left only that amount set by the LC-1.