What is up with the state of Pennsylvania?

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

yjleesvrr
Donating Member #: 0

What is up with the state of Pennsylvania?

Post by yjleesvrr »

On my way back from New York last Friday, I lost an hour idling in a traffic backup on I-78 in Allentown. This same stretch of highway has been under construction for a year now and the only thing I can see that they're doing is resurfacing the tarmac. I've lost countless hours over the past year trying to get through this section of I-78, and last Friday's delay made me furious.

Road construction in other states don't take near this length of time. As an example, I also rode through a stretch of I-81 that was dug up for resurfacing a month ago in West Virginia. They had finished by last Friday.

Pennsylvania roads suck big time, and they take forever to smooth it out again. It's no wonder I meet so many former Pennsylvanians in Northern Virginia. The tax dollars are put to better use in Southern states.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

I lived in PA for almost 30 years, and still travel through it frequently because my mother and other relatives live there.

The roads there are really, really bad. I have not been on the PA Turnpike in a while, but that road has been in bad shape since Eisenhower was president. And then there is I-76, the infamous Schuylkill Expressway - what a nightmare that road is. Also I-95 through Philly is full of potholes. PA roads are even worse than NY and NJ, and we have more corruption to deal with than PA :)

Which route do you take? Are you in a hurry?
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

Bob - From Southwest VA (where I live), I take I-81 up to Harrisburg, PA, and then cut east on I-78 to the NY suburbs in New Jersey or New York City itself. From time to time, I'll take I-81 to I-66 in VA to the D.C. suburbs and then take I-95 through Baltimore and the NJ Turnpike.

The former route takes about 7 hours. The latter takes 8. I was on my Roadster last week and inching forward a few feet only to sit for a minute or two gets old really quick.

My customers in the NY area played a major role in allowing me to build my business up to this point, and I am by nature (so I've been told) a Yankee :lol:

But during my travels, I've gained a greater appreciation for the South and have come to desire to live no further north than Maryland. Quite honestly, my choices for home would be Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and northern California - which obviously is not a part of the South.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
Kevin Markwell
Basic User

Post by Kevin Markwell »

There are two seasons on the PA Turnpike and most other roads in PA -

Winter and Construction
A good world needs knowledge, kindliness, and courage. --Bertrand Russell

Member #37 - Lifer