Stick coils and battery box change

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hawkeye
Basic User

Stick coils and battery box change

Post by Hawkeye »

Hi guys
read all the info on getting rid of the of the stick coils
and thought why not try it so today I did.
My bikes been running like a bag of poo and put it down to the coils,
Being a tight ass have a go Kiwi I just got some new 950mm long leads with straight plug caps from the local auto parts shop for $20.00, then got a piece of 6mm fuel hose about 30mm long. Split it so it could fit on the ht lead just above the plug cap and strip tied it there/
The reason for this is so it is easy to push the lead on the plug and the strip ties make it easy to pull the cap out.
Another way is to use the bottom lead and make up an extenshion on the right angled ht cap.
I would have done it this way if I did not have to take the tank off to do the battery.
Test road it and thought the bike has never run so good.
Thanks w Doctor
While I had the tank off I needed a new battery.
While trying to source a new one got told the best battery is a Deka with more cranking amps than all the others.Apparantly the use them in those tractor type moter bikes.
The one that was ment to fit our bikes I was told is the ETX20L, Turned out to be about 4mm to wide, (Bugger)
there was no other Decka battery slightly smaller so out with the drill with a long 8 mm bit and drilled out the spot welds on the bottom front of the battery box. PS do not drill right through, you could do some damage to some thing. Then hack sawed the other bits off, then remove the front section. Make sure you cut it below the bolt on the right hand side. The box still stayed strong conected to the front part and did not look like it had been changed. I had to make a hook for the rubber strap.
This all worked well and I now have a better battery.
I have also made a cruse control on the end of my grips, also works well.
Hope these mod will help others.
Cheers all.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Stick coils and battery box change

Post by riceburner »

Got any pics?

So - is your bike now running just 2 plugs?
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Hawkeye
Basic User

Re: Stick coils and battery box change

Post by Hawkeye »

Hi rice burner.
Yes it is only running on two plugs.
When it played up I brought four new plugs hoping to sort out the problem, didn't happen.
Those old plugs are back in the bike running sweet.
I have done about 200 ks since then. Its winter here. :(